CONCORD TO SHUT DOWN SEPT 6TH: EVERYONE REFUNDED!

Associate
Wow that was fast, I do applaud Firewalk for accepting reality so quickly and not wasting everyone's time, and obviously for the refunds.

8 years in development, lifespan of less than a fortnight!

Also, maybe next time don't call your prospective customers "Talentless freaks".

:D

Last edited:
I don't understand why they couldn't at least try and make a go of it by going F2P? It works for Apex Legends and Fort nite?

No doubt there will be dozens if not hundreds of developers laid off after this too.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they couldn't at least try and make a go of it by going F2P? It works for Apex Legends and Fort nite?

No doubt there will be dozens if not hundreds of developers laid off after this too.

There's only 1,593,259 more people playing Fortnite right now.

:)

It might come back as f2p.

"Therefore, at this time, we have decided to take the game offline beginning September 6, 2024, and explore options, including those that will better reach our players.

While we determine the best path ahead, Concord sales will cease immediately and we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased the game for PS5 or PC"

Going offline while options are explored seems like it leaves the door open for it to come back as f2p.

Not surprised, there are so many of these games and the 'vibe' I read is that people are now tired of live service games (rather than 'getting tired' which has been the last few years). Unfortunately the game industry is several years behind just because of how long it takes to make a game (eight years in this case).

Honestly I am not sure where the AAA / console/PC game industry goes from here. It takes such a long time to make an AAA game, a game needs to make so much revenue or profit in the eyes of publishers or investors that why would they bother? AA games don't really exist any more and those that do don't make enough money to satisfy publishers/investors or whoever. BG3 and Elden Ring etc are loved and I am sure sell well but I doubt they make the money of peak Destiny / GTA:O / whatever the popular mobile games are. I'm not sure there is a way of making more money that peak live service games and I am not sure decision makers will accept making less money.

Going F2P won't save this game anyway, EA realised this with Anthem which was a far "bigger" game in all respects, they took it down and told everyone "we're making Anthem 2.0, bear with us, here's a roadmap" - and then realised 6 months later it wasn't going to work.

As stew says, people are tired of LSG, and have no patience waiting for a gamne to be turned round.

F2P relies on the sale of skins and no one is going to want to buy skins for this game.

Just realised as well, the Prime series by the LDR team has one episode based on Concord I believe. Wonder if they'll still show it or if it'll be dropped?

Was so stupid to make people buy the game. There are so many (insane) people who will buy a booty skin for £20.

I imagine there's a lot of people like myself who just looked up and watched some gameplay and thought, no surprise there. Cookie cutter mechanics and bland art.

I imagine there's a lot of people like myself who just looked up and watched some gameplay and thought, no surprise there. Cookie cutter mechanics and bland art.

Yup.

8 years and 100m + for a generic hero shooter, someone made out like a bandit and it wasn't Sony. I'm willing to bet a random mid-sized indie studio could do a better job given a year while using AI art on a shoestring budget.

Would Sony seriously just write off a £100m game after just 10 days? 8 years in development, that would mean there would have been around 130 people on average working on this over that period and this was the best they could come up with?

It makes you wonder why there seems to be so little corporate oversight and governance going on at some of these big multinational companies. If I were a shareholder I would be calling for heads to be rolled over for such a disaster.

For the record Rockstar spent $250m on GTA 5 but that included marketing. I remember at the time Rockstar saying they had bet the whole company on the game being a success and had it flopped they would have been in serious financial jeopardy. Crazy how Sony can be so casual with Concord's fate.

Last edited:
I assume they knew before launch that it was going to flop - from QA and devs to execs. At that point they can either cancel it or spend the extra 5% more to get it over the line and have a punt. Especially with the sunken costs of that TV show tie in, and maybe the other marketing materials were all done?

Back
Top Bottom