Convince me to by Plex (lifetime) pass :)

Soldato
EDIT: "Convice me to buy Plex (lifetime) pass"

So it's on offer at the moment...

Apart from supporting them, why should I buy it. Do any of you lot use any of the paid for features that you think merit the expense over the free pass?

Soldato
It's a very flexible and polished way of watching your own media.

You don't have to pay anything for it unless you want some of the extra bells-and-whistles (which is the point of the thread).

Soldato
Multi user support isnt a reason to buy Plex Pass as you can add users easily using the Friends feature. For example I created an account on Plex and shared my library with it, so that I can have Plex in my spare room without it being my login but being my library.

Soldato
OP
Multi user support isnt a reason to buy Plex Pass as you can add users easily using the Friends feature. For example I created an account on Plex and shared my library with it, so that I can have Plex in my spare room without it being my login but being my library.
Yeh... I'd love an excuse to buy the lifetime pass but can't find one.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I bought mine solely because it was (and is) a piece of software I use everyday. I wanted to support the devs. It also means whenever I get a new device I don't need to buy an app etc.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I bought it ages ago, thought I needed it more than I did. The devs deserved support at the time, however....

Every interaction I've seen with them on their own forums since then hasn't painted a good picture of themselves. They can be quite arsey with people.
They never developed a Samsung app and left the 3rd party guy to fend for himself against hordes of users giving him grief for broken/lack-of features.
They did develop an LG app which made me a very happy bunny, but it turned out to be one of the worst media players I've ever used. The audio does not get translated correctly at all. The alternative was to use another 3rd party guy's app, except he charges almost a tenner for it and the whole experience is not a patch on the Samsung guy's.

One of the main benefits is it tracking what you've watched. You can't get this if you hop between accounts.

Soldato
Only reason I bought Plex Pass (lifetime membership on sale for about the same price you're looking at) was because I wanted early access to some features.

I realise now that the DVR features are Plex Pass only at the moment as well but it's not ready for the prime time yet. Of course, only by having Plex Pass can I know that it's not worth it.

I'm not sure I'd ever advise anyone to get Plex Pass. It's something you either want, or don't. You never "need" Plex Pass.

Soldato
The devs deserved support at the time, however....
(could not confirm on the web) but don't plex get fiananced too, by the likes of roku or other platforms that pre-install it ?
Roku and other platforms presumably trust plex developers to not provide back-doors that could be exploited for infringing drm on other apps (netflix/amazon)
ie.plex can exist on blessed playready/widevine platforms.

DVR features are Plex Pass only at the moment as well but it's not ready for the prime time yet
if this will give access to a full epg then that is worth something and would help htcpc/streaming box users (but are there many customers plugging in tuners?)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I find the problem nowadays is the devs seem to ignore the requests of users / bug fixes in favour of trying to bring to market things the majority don't really want. One of those recently was the news channel, where is aggregates news stories. No one on the forums wanted this and there are some pretty decent easy wins they could have to please the users. They choose to more often than not ignore those.

One of the big things (if you head to www.reddit.com/r/plex) at the moment is the introduction of the authentication being through their servers. It can be really quite annoying if you lose internet access, your apple tv or phone cannot 'login' so you can't watch anything on your local network (though there is a workaround it's just not highlighted or something you realise you need until the above happens). They won't acknowledge it.

Back
Top Bottom