Convince me to by Plex (lifetime) pass :)

Soldato
if this will give access to a full epg then that is worth something and would help htcpc/streaming box users (but are there many customers plugging in tuners?)

It's not quite a full EPG, but it's almost better... in some ways.

And yeah, plenty of tuner options available both USB and internal.

Not something I'd sign up for Plex Pass to use. It will be released for free (like every other feature) soon enough.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I still dont get why people dont use Kodi. I have tried Plex in the past and just seems worst in every single way

Does kodi enable me to simply download an app, login and then stream my library remotely? Does it transcode the video for me when that device doesn't support the container/codec, remotely?

Genuine question. I'm happy to pay for things that 'work' rather than require a load of manual intervention. Also, as has been said, I haven't the time to set up my own MySQL server to simply keep track of where I am across devices. Plex does that perfectly well, with no intervention again.

Soldato
Biggest benefit for me is easily synchronizing multiple players (i.e. living room, cinema room and bedroom) to have watched states synced and being able to resume from multiple rooms.

Totally possible with Kodi (did it for a while) but running my own MySQL server to do it was just a pain.

Associate
I find plex to be faultless.

I use 3 LG TV's, a few phones, iPad's, Kindles, web-player, multiple users, 800+ films and 100+ TV shows.

This is a mixture of 1080P and 4K content.

Absolutely flawless.

I'm thinking about hooking up an aerial for the new live TV feature.

Soldato
Is it LAN only, or could my mate up in Lancashire access the library if I added him, then?

My Plex Library is shared with my Mum, my sister and 3 or 4 friends. They each created a plex account but have no server of their own. I then add them as a friend and choose which libraries to share with them. When they log into Plex, they see my Server as available, but without my on deck or recently watched etc being shown, kinda like different profiles on Netflix.

Associate
I bought it ages ago, thought I needed it more than I did. The devs deserved support at the time, however....

Every interaction I've seen with them on their own forums since then hasn't painted a good picture of themselves. They can be quite arsey with people.
They never developed a Samsung app and left the 3rd party guy to fend for himself against hordes of users giving him grief for broken/lack-of features.
They did develop an LG app which made me a very happy bunny, but it turned out to be one of the worst media players I've ever used. The audio does not get translated correctly at all. The alternative was to use another 3rd party guy's app, except he charges almost a tenner for it and the whole experience is not a patch on the Samsung guy's.

One of the main benefits is it tracking what you've watched. You can't get this if you hop between accounts.
PLEX is Great Apart from when you need support then its pants PMP is rubbish compaired to Home Theatre. Rasplex is no longer been updated and i pay £3.99 a month for nothing really im thinking on cancelling mine. Ill still use it for ease of use for my own media but to give them money for something that's not regulary updated is a no no for me

Associate
...but Rasplex isn't an official development of the Plex team though, is it?
No it was a third party. Which was great until Ned Died sadly last year and things seem to have done a backward turn. So ill be using my PI3 for something else which i was going to do anyways since no 4k support. Im using PKC now With the Titan skin which is pretty Slick on my Minix With Alexa and HDR support

Associate
Thing is if it Wasn't for these Third party Devs then PLEX would be pretty awful if you wanted support. There Devs are awful and take an age to answer issues PLEX MEDIA PLAYER is terrible which i have on our HTPC in the bedroom. Which im going to change Home theatre was great but no longer supported and Windows 10 users do nothing but complain about plex with there support and updates

Soldato
There Devs are awful and take an age to answer issues
have you had support questions that thave been unanswered ? their faq's and existing forum history are extensive.
Their media player may not have a bells and whistles GUI, but it is robust/reliable

.. when you look at the quality of the problem descriptions people write on forums - I have a lot of empathy with devs. (MS forum 'devs' excepted)

Soldato
I use Plex Pass primarily for the users feature. My kids all have their own user (RasPlex's in each of their rooms) and each user has different content settings so my youngest can only watch up to 12A and my oldest can only watch up to 15.

Soldato
I bought a life time pass years ago so was probably a bit cheaper but I think it's worthwhile. I can watch media faultlessly on multiple devices around the house and allow family to remote stream from my server. Plex pass features I use mainly are trailers and dvr (working progress). The sync feature is handy as well.

That said I echo the comments above about them adding pointless features and wish they would get older features working before doing something else. Dvr features being a good example, it barely works.

Your choice of player also makes a difference, the devs seem be putting all efforts into apple tv at the moment.

Soldato
They did develop an LG app which made me a very happy bunny, but it turned out to be one of the worst media players I've ever used. The audio does not get translated correctly at all. The alternative was to use another 3rd party guy's app, except he charges almost a tenner for it and the whole experience is not a patch on the Samsung guy's.
Are you taking about Xplay?
Because that app for LG TVs is absolutely brilliant, ten tones better than the native app, and actually plays 4K & 4K HDR with no buffering at all, the native app is a buffering mess.
Think it’s is actually about £5 and is updated on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom