Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Commissario
Mine is so underused now, just being used to make the dough. With an extra prove and with the bread baked in the oven, it's so much nicer than letting the machine bake it.

Associate
I'd forgotten Pan baking temp is only 165C , from diagnostics manual, equally if proving temp is 35C - I'm not sure mine exhibits that.
I'd also bookmarked link on motor capacitor change, which I should order proactively

I've never needed to change a Cap yet, like I said above I changed the stat and ellement. Thats what I had to change when my old machine was playing up.
Below is my final few mins MAX pot temp for anybody needing a known good baking temp using option 2 ZB2502. Also my rise temps run between 95/100 °F
The temp below is also in °F, Parts that have worn out for me are the pot spindle and the drive spindle which has a brass bush that wears out. The belt strentched due to uneven wear on the bushing causing uneven wobble and noise.

Soldato
I don't ever add any dough improver like olive oil or butter into my Pan machine recipe - I thought it was partly compensation for baking in the machine,
with the lower temp/slower bakes.

The newer machines with the yeast container helps if you want a delayed start I guess - that's all ?
.... however I use a sourdough starter/poolish, so wouldn't really work.

Associate
Menu 15 is bake only but I'm not sure it'll work - When I tried it once before, it said the machine was too warm and to allow it to cool down first which isn't much help.

Have you tried just leaving it in for an extra five minutes? The heating element will have gone off but there's a lot of residual heat still in the machine.

It will not work when you finish the bake, Also menu 15 on my new-ish machine only bakes @300 °F which is pretty useless. I'm sure the reason is in the book but I can't be arsed to look!

Associate
I don't ever add any dough improver like olive oil or butter into my Pan machine recipe - I thought it was partly compensation for baking in the machine,
with the lower temp/slower bakes.

The newer machines with the yeast container helps if you want a delayed start I guess - that's all ?
.... however I use a sourdough starter/poolish, so wouldn't really work.

I don't eat it but I hear it makes great toast. I came to the conclusion about twelve months ago that I need a steam oven for better flair/crust.

Soldato
I've never needed to change a Cap yet, like I said above I changed the stat and ellement. Thats what I had to change when my old machine was playing up.

2nd favourite gadget after coffee machine ... now had to fix the capacitor on the panasonic bread machine ... which was no longer kneeding the bread very powerfully
about £4 on ebay about 15mins, plus 30min dissasembly, belt seems to be fine

52036150420_bdeb0eb5a8_o_d.jpg

Commissario
2nd favourite gadget after coffee machine ... now had to fix the capacitor on the panasonic bread machine ... which was no longer kneeding the bread very powerfully
Out of interest, how much use has yours had? I used to keep a check on the number of cycles mine had done but stopped after around three hundred. It's still used roughly every other day to make dough.

Soldato
About 2 times a week on 5hr wholewheat & once on 2:20 dough for 7 years in this regeneration ... so > 1000

looked at it the other day and it seemed to be struggling - so thought I'd open it and see what was inside, then ordered the cap,
I believe you can try and see how much resistance it puts up to your hand in self test mode too

Soldato
Have been working on my sourdough starter for what feels like months now, finally got round to some actual baking.

Third attempt today has gone ok I think. Happy with decent ear, good crumbs, and flavour and texture to eat is actually amazing. Just ate the heel now, still decently warm 20 mins after finishing the bake, and it was so nice that I giggled.

Main improvement would be a bit more 'spring'. Not sure how to achieve that, as my last two bakes have had very different fermenting approaches (one much longer than the other) and both had the same characteristics really.

Soldato
Have been working on my sourdough starter for what feels like months now, finally got round to some actual baking.
looks good - whose flour do you use - one loafs gone pretty quickly do you make several, electric costs considered.

I wonder about starting a new starter to see if the flavour could change much, had it 20 years, one day need to walk into town bakery and see if they'd give me a sample, havent't found colleagues/friends that are into it, despite the supposed covid furore ( I wouldn't contend buying one from an online site though )

Soldato
looks good - whose flour do you use - one loafs gone pretty quickly do you make several, electric costs considered.

I wonder about starting a new starter to see if the flavour could change much, had it 20 years, one day need to walk into town bakery and see if they'd give me a sample, havent't found colleagues/friends that are into it, despite the supposed covid furore ( I wouldn't contend buying one from an online site though )
Just using bog standard supermarket plain flour atm. Though if I feel like keeping up the habit (I suppose more than 1 loaf a week) then I'll do some bulk online ordering and look for something higher quality.

Only one loaf at a time at the mo, and you are right they do go quick! I wouldn't mind doing 2 at a time RE oven cost yeah, but means maintaining another starter (or I suppose a bigger one, in a bigger jar), another banneton, another cast iron pan.

I actually used a dried starter culture that my wife got me for christmas, but I didn't find it did anything at all. Took me weeks longer than everywhere says it should take to make starter completely from scratch for me to get any noticeable rise at all, so I'm claiming the starter as my own.

Homemade mackerel pate with lightly pickled cucumber slices on a toasted slice of this is bliss.

Smoked mackerel, horseradish, creme fraiche, ground pepper. Drop cucumber slices in cider vinegar for 10 mins.

Pile it so high you struggle to get your mouth around it.

Meanwhile googling is sourdough REALLY better for you (supposedly much lower GI due to fermentation and acids) than standard white bread, as so many places claim.

Soldato
Only one loaf at a time at the mo, and you are right they do go quick! I wouldn't mind doing 2 at a time RE oven cost yeah, but means maintaining another starter (or I suppose a bigger one, in a bigger jar), another banneton, another cast iron pan.
that's true I'd have the same starter issue - I don't have cast iron pan so a baking steel would be my approach , if I wasn't using the convenience of a bread machine (but it does sacrifice quality)

Associate

52036150420_bdeb0eb5a8_o_d.jpg

I made a spare with another type of capacitor should I ever need it for my SD-ZB2502.
What model is that 2500 ? looks like the same cap.

Soldato
I made a spare with another type of capacitor should I ever need it for my SD-ZB2502.
yes 2500 - good idea finding a probably cheaper cap in different form factor

after seeing the effect of cap I may well change the themostat too, on the grounds it has deteriorated - subjectively never seems very warm during proofing - where did you buy from.

I always make medium 500g loaves, but have not experimented with using small/large options to see if that would modify the bake in a useful way ?

Associate
What model is that 2500 ? looks like the same cap.
yes 2500 - good idea finding a probably cheaper cap in different form factor

after seeing the effect of cap I may well change the themostat too, on the grounds it has deteriorated - subjectively never seems very warm during proofing - where did you buy from.

I always make medium 500g loaves, but have not experimented with using small/large options to see if that would modify the bake in a useful way ?

I got mine from Farnell, I did look around but couldn't find the correct size so just ordered that one.
As for the stat, mine worked much better after putting a new one in. I also put in a new ellement at the same time £20 for both.
Just a side note, my known good machine today with a kitchen and water temp of 75°F gave me a raise temp of 98.5°F program 2 1:04 remaining.

My daily bread routine at the moment is as follows.
flour 336g (Tornado)
water 181g 75°F
Yudane 84g water (Boiling) mix with 84g Flour leave to cool for 30mins covered. Stays soft Longer!
42g Unsalted butter (microwave 20 seconds 800 watt)
10.5g Sugar
8.4g Salt
5.88g Yeast (DCL-Instant)
Program 2 (Crust Dark)
Start..
Set a timer for 10 mins, clean down the sides of the pan at
Set a timer for 29 mins, after the machine has stopped de-gassing 1:20 remove the dough and paddle shape the dough into a ball then return to the pan.

I am very fussy about my yeast, I always split 500g Vac packs into 100g Vac packs on receipt then when needed opened and transfered to an air tight container and used within 2 weeks or it goes in the bin. Also if I recieve a deflated pack of yeast it goes straight in the Bin.

Nope I don't mess with the options apart from Dark which just gives another 5mins cook time.

Commissario
Set a timer for 29 mins, after the machine has stopped de-gassing 1:20 remove the dough and paddle shape the dough into a ball then return to the pan.
I know we talked about it before but have you tried baking it in the oven? I was proper happy with bread out of the machine until I started using the oven to bake the machine produced dough.

Associate
No I don't sadly, but I do sometimes use the reciepe above but remove 20g water and add 2 egg yolks (40g) @1:20 ball and leave to rest 15 mins in the pot
then make into 108g balls on a large tray, raise for 1 hour or so and chuck in the oven @170c 25 mins for some nice rolls.

Soldato
putting on the main fan oven @220C exclusively for baking one loaf of bread even before the energy hike was a bit gratuitous, I'll put the energy meter on the Panasonic next time, but I think that's <1KW and the main oven at high temp an additional 2Kwh

Start..
Set a timer for 10 mins, clean down the sides of the pan at
yes I do that 1hr on wholewheat option, and, about 1hour before the end, befor 47min baking cycle I slash the top.

Back
Top Bottom