Cooking with Jonny69: Pancakes

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
As it's pancake day here's how to make pancake batter for about 5-6 pancakes:

100g plain flour
1 egg
just under half a pint of milk

Bung the flour and egg in a blender and top the contents up to about 1/2 pint mark. Blitz it up so all the flour is off the sides. Add more milk if it's not runny enough or a bit more flour if it's too runny. Some people like to add a second egg but I find it a bit eggy tasting then. You can use it immediately but leave it for half an hour and top with a little more milk and you'll get smoother pancakes :)

For english style pancakes the batter need the consistency of thick single cream.

Get a non stick frying pan very hot (do yourself a favour) and melt a small knob of butter. Quickly add a ladel of batter and cover the bottom of the pan. Let it cook over a reasonably high heat until it is dry across the top and the edges have started to lift. It will now shake free from the bottom of the pan and you can toss it over. The first one never cooks as well as the others :D

Serve with lemon juice and white sugar, maple syrup, chocolate sauce etc.

For american pancakes I use self raising flour and have the batter like extra thick double cream, you use more flour until it's thicker. As you ladle it into the pan it holds its shape and puffs up with bubbles, then you turn it over when the edges have gone dry.

Enjoy guys and gals!

Permabanned
Pffft real way to make pancakes, couple of eggs, some flour, a vanilla pod, quater pint of single cream. stick it all ina litre bottle (eg an empty robinsons cordial bottle) add water. Stick the lid on a shake a hell of a lot. Add more water if its too thick or add more flour is its too thins and reshake. Handy thing with it all being in the bottle means you have no washing up and you can pour it stright into the pan from the bottle. Plus any un used batter can live in the bottle in the fridge for a few days!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'm afraid I cheat on the pancake front, at least when making American/Canadian style pancakes....:o

Step one - take Coyote pancake mix
Step two - add milk
Step three - mix up
Step four - cook
Step five - scoff pancakes with lots of maple syrup

Coyote pancake mix makes very tasty pancakes
2w4fss5.gif

Man of Honour
sugar
butter
Juice of 2 oranges
Orange slices
Grated rind of 1 orange
good shot (or several) Cointreau

good couple of heaped table spoons of butter, sugar in a frying pan add the orange juice and slices and bring to the oil making sure all the sugar is dissolved. Chuck the Cointreau and serve, or boil quickly to remove alcohol content.

If you don't like butter simply replace butter with a bit of cornflour (at the end to thicken).

Best filling thing for pancakes ever..

Last edited:
Soldato
crystaline said:
Lol American pancakes = open the box of mix and add water..

Can't wait to try the English recipe though, will make it tonight for everyone here :cool:

make sure they are paper thin, and as big as the pan so about 10" or whatever. this is important. then roll them up with stuff inside.

Permabanned
Damn i forgot it was PD, gonna have to get the mrs to go to ASDA on the way back

fatiain said:
What, are you making a starter for before the main course of pancakes?

Yay for Fayshun \o/ :D

Back
Top Bottom