CoolIT ECO A.L.C. and Corsair H50 Comparison / Review

Associate
But the Eco 240mm will p0wn all! :)
Well, I'll just be happy if it handily beats Asetek's LCLC 240mm.
Barrolde, can you guys do some internal benches on that?

Associate
The reason for that was because at the time, everyone believed having the fan as the exhaust would be ideal so I didn't bother checking to see how it would perform with the fan as the intake. Afterall, this was the default configuration as marketed by CoolIT. It was also to do with the fact that people wanted to know how changing the fan to an exhaust on the H50 would impact performance. In hindsight, I should have done the intake tests on the ECO as well and may do so if I get the time.

Yeah for completeness sake it would be good if you could, but I understand if you don't have time.

They were pretty much the same, same fin spacing etc. And they both look very much the same so as you say, the pump could be more efficient.

Yeah I'd love to know the flow rate for both systems, as well as pump specs, & block/reservoir capacity.
I suspect those are the areas it gains it's slight edge...

And if one knew this data....
One could say with absolute certainty whether or not the H50 will always be slightly better.

The way I have the first graph is that I have the latest cooler tested at the top and then have a cleaner chart showing it in ascending order. I omit out the idle temps because it just makes them a lot messier and the load temperatures are what we are really interested in. :)

Fair enough, your review, so your call as to how you present the data.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah for completeness sake it would be good if you could, but I understand if you don't have time.

I will be doing those tests but I have some other articles to write up first. Unlike other sites, I test inside a case so removing my motherboard to test coolers can be a pain and time consuming, especially if it's just for one test.

Associate
It seems the H50 beats the Eco in many reviews but only by a degree or two. This means they both have their place; one is cheaper but marginally worse (so overall you get decent performance for your money)
For sheer performance, however, the H50 just about steals it
But when the prices are the same (as can be found elsewhere), it is in the best interests of those purchasing to get the best they can for their money. In this case, the better of the two as what separates them normally, doesnt in this example.

Hi Sniper,

There are actually about the same amount of reviews that have us ahead by a degree or two as there are that have h50 ahead. In fact, if you look at very last graph of the Vortez review you will see ECO stock (exhaust) vs H50 exhaust where we are in fact ahead a degree. Unfortunately, there wasn't a head to head done w/ ECO as intake vs H50 as intake.

Anyways, we've pretty much flipped over all the rocks here. Ford vs. Chevy The performance is very similar, we win price and installation - aesthetics is up to personal preference. Both are good coolers.

What is exciting for me is that the sealed loop has come a long ways since we started doing this in 2005. You've got great bang for the buck, a clean look, simple installation and the weight is off your board and (hopefully) the heat out the back of your chassis unless you've got other exhausts.

Now, time to step it up. Our next cooler - Vantage is bringing back the imbedded LCD only it will be RGB this time and support different fan profiles with the same case compatibility that ECO has but with a wee little easter egg of upgrade-ability. You'll of course be able to use your own fan(s) as well if you like.

The competition is good and the discussions healthy. Heatsinks aren't getting any smaller folks. As a PC enthusiast and a CoolIT employee, I'm excited to see where this space goes.

I've enjoyed this thread - the more discussion the better but at this point, I think we've pretty much accomplished what we set out to do and then some ;)

Cheers,

Barry @ CoolIT

Associate
@barrolde, will the Vantage be slightly improved in it's cooling prowess, or is it just an Eco + LCD?

There are actually about the same amount of reviews that have us ahead by a degree or two as there are that have h50 ahead. In fact, if you look at very last graph of the Vortez review you will see ECO stock (exhaust) vs H50 exhaust where we are in fact ahead a degree.

Yeah saw that, what I don't understand is why the h50 accelerates away once a higher CFM fan is used (when exhausting; although i suspect it'll be similar for intake).
Particularly if the rads are exactly the same, which is why I hypothesised other components of the loop at play.

It would be cool to see a much higher CFM fan (blower) used, to see if the H50 still pulls away from the Eco.
If the Eco instead gains parity or an edge, then despite appearances the rads might be quite different, with the Eco's obviously having greater resistance.

Although I suspect if this was done that the H50 would benefit the most....
As based on what we know so far, it seems to be the rad most likely to be different in that it has higher resistance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a note to say I'm not dead, have not lost interest in computers or this device, but unfortunately had an awful lot of things go badly wrong in short succession. Heartfelt apologies to Barry and SS, both of whom are waiting on me testing some watercooling kit.

Associate
So does that mean we can expect something now that you're past those horrid episodes?
Sorry to hear, hope that weren't that bad!?!?

Associate
@barrolde, will the Vantage be slightly improved in it's cooling prowess, or is it just an Eco + LCD?

There are actually about the same amount of reviews that have us ahead by a degree or two as there are that have h50 ahead. In fact, if you look at very last graph of the Vortez review you will see ECO stock (exhaust) vs H50 exhaust where we are in fact ahead a degree.

Yeah saw that, what I don't understand is why the h50 accelerates away once a higher CFM fan is used (when exhausting; although i suspect it'll be similar for intake).
Particularly if the rads are exactly the same, which is why I hypothesised other components of the loop at play.

It would be cool to see a much higher CFM fan (blower) used, to see if the H50 still pulls away from the Eco.
If the Eco instead gains parity or an edge, then despite appearances the rads might be quite different, with the Eco's obviously having greater resistance.

Although I suspect if this was done that the H50 would benefit the most....
As based on what we know so far, it seems to be the rad most likely to be different in that it has higher resistance.

Associate
already made the post somewhere else but i guess again it depends on your usage. a friend of mine used the H50 on a corei7 980 and temps were appraoching 80+ under load and so had to make a custom water-cooled setup. but i guess that is because the voltage was so high!

Associate
keep a close eye on the coolit if you buy one, my pump gave up last night after a month of use, was happy with it up to that point though.
i think someone else on here had the same problem too?

Associate

Those new findings are fascinating,
I thought the clear margin would more-or-less remain, instead it seems the Eco does "minisculely" better, the plot thickens! :D

Still, I think those who are inclined to go beyond stock config. would prefer exhaust + decent fans.
So in that regard the H50 is likely to be more appealing...

Last edited:
Soldato
Those new findings are fascinating,
I thought the clear margin would more-or-less remain, instead it seems the Eco does slight better, the plot thickens! :D

Still, I think those who are inclined to go beyond stock config. would prefer exhaust + decent fans.
So in that regard the H50 is likely to be more appealing...

The Corsair also makes it easier to install fans with their long screws but I agree with you. The difference is very small and I think performance alone won't differentiate the two.

Associate
these enclosed watercooling systems are CRAP simple as i dont know why we get such large threads on them.....

Stock config. they are compared to the best HSF's;

But some simple mods* and they get right up there compared to the top HSF's.
Maybe not the very top, but still very respectable & with far less space taken-up.
Good for users building HTPC/PCR etc...

*shroud/s + fan/s etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
these enclosed watercooling systems are CRAP simple as i dont know why we get such large threads on them.....

Latest Coolit Eco clocking for me:

Q9650 @ 4.1Ghz 1.385v
Antec 900 Case
One sycthe Juno 1200rpm intake
SSD
2x2TB Seagates
Radeon 4870x2
Corsair HX i forgot how much.
6GB HyperX

Ambient @ 29C (yes, 29C as other pcs were testing too)
Max temp with 50 intel burntests were 74C on the hottest core, very respectable in my book and certainly not crap, extremely quiet to boot. Currently blend priming in 27C ambient and top temp are 64C so far @ 3hrs.

Back
Top Bottom