CoolIT ECO A.L.C. and Corsair H50 Comparison / Review

Associate
Decided to go with the H-50 myself last week and I am MORE than pleased.
I have the rad with 2 Noctua P12's mounted in the front drive bays of my Scout and its droped my idle temps by almost 10c and is managing to keep my rather toasty (1.26v) 920 below 80c :D

Man of Honour
Are Corsair working on a new all in one water cooled product?

After that review im tempted to change the Eco for a H50 in my basket!

Our official company policy is that I cannot comment on any unreleased products until given the OK to do so and they are officially announced. Of course we are not resting on our laurels and we always look for ways to improve but, that's all I can say. Please keep an eye on our press release section for new products.

CORSAIR PRESS RELEASE PAGE

So how would you guys recommend mounting this? Would you replace the back exhaust and use two fans to pull the air from outside in?

It can vary between any 2 systems as most are unique. My suggestion is always to try it both ways and see what works best for you.

Associate

@Helio1234 Excellent review, but....

You don't seem to show the Eco in-taking using all fan configs...
Also on pg10, what's the difference between CoolIT Eco (2x stock fans) & CoolIT ECO A.L.C; Eco @stock only comes with one fan doesn't it?
Overall there just seems to be a few less configs you've tried with the Eco Vs the H50.
It seems you've covered all other bases though, including comparing other HSF's with same fan config (intake or outake) & same TIM.

Judging by what you were saying with the H50 rad feeling warmer with just one fan exhausting/intaking.
Perhaps it's pump/block combo is what gives it the edge?
Does its rad seem to be exactly the same as the Eco's? (apart from the nicer final touches of the H50's rad you mentioned)

Interesting that 2x NF-P12 intake on H50 actually did slightly worse than out-take, kinda weird.

Just some further comments on the layout/presentation of data....
The 1st graph showing idle and load for stock and oc'd would be more useful if sorted by idle temp ascending imo. (but debatable)
And on Pg10 where you do some more direct comparisons, the idle temps for stock and oc'd would be nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Helio1234 Excellent review, but....

You don't seem to show the Eco in-taking using all fan configs...
Also on pg10, what's the difference between CoolIT Eco (2x stock fans) & CoolIT ECO A.L.C; Eco @stock only comes with one fan doesn't it?
Overall there just seems to be a few less configs you've tried with the Eco Vs the H50.
The reason for that was because at the time, everyone believed having the fan as the exhaust would be ideal so I didn't bother checking to see how it would perform with the fan as the intake. Afterall, this was the default configuration as marketed by CoolIT. It was also to do with the fact that people wanted to know how changing the fan to an exhaust on the H50 would impact performance. In hindsight, I should have done the intake tests on the ECO as well and may do so if I get the time.

It seems you've covered all other bases though, including comparing other HSF's with same fan config (intake or outake) & same TIM.

Judging by what you were saying with the H50 rad feeling warmer with just one fan exhausting/intaking.
Perhaps it's pump/block combo is what gives it the edge?
Does its rad seem to be exactly the same as the Eco's? (apart from the nicer final touches of the H50's rad you mentioned)
They were pretty much the same, same fin spacing etc. And they both look very much the same so as you say, the pump could be more efficient.

Interesting that 2x NF-P12 intake on H50 actually did slightly worse than out-take, kinda weird.

Just some further comments on the layout/presentation of data....
The 1st graph showing idle and load for stock and oc'd would be more useful if sorted by idle temp ascending imo. (but debatable)
And on Pg10 where you do some more direct comparisons, the idle temps for stock and oc'd would be nice.
The way I have the first graph is that I have the latest cooler tested at the top and then have a cleaner chart showing it in ascending order. I omit out the idle temps because it just makes them a lot messier and the load temperatures are what we are really interested in. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Well this has decided it. I'm going to get a H50. However Helios1234's review is making me want to buy a couple of better fans (quieter). Any recommendations? I'd prefer quieter fans, but obviously if there is a quiet and good performing fan (for overclocking) that would be great!

Soldato
Well this has decided it. I'm going to get a H50. However Helios1234's review is making me want to buy a couple of better fans (quieter). Any recommendations? I'd prefer quieter fans, but obviously if there is a quiet and good performing fan (for overclocking) that would be great!

I've never tried it myself but the Akasa Apaches are a popular choice.

Associate
Hi Guys,

Helios1234 thanks for the comparison. I would have liked to have seen all of the same tests done on both coolers, an explanation of what happens to internal chassis ambient when you use the fan as an intake (especially in your test setup) and the data presented in a little different manner but overall its a pretty good review.

What I take from it is that ECO is less expensive and easier to install but in your tests is performing slightly worse than the H50 but not enough to make a difference in any real life application. The performance difference can be explained by the inherit variability from one unit to another.

To be fair, this has pretty much been my position on the debate from the beginning.

For those interested, a couple more head to heads are out now too:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/zardon/coolit-eco-a-l-c-review/
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/730659-my-official-h50-eco-l-c.html

IMO, ECO is better looking too but thats up to personal preference.

Cheers,

Barry @ CoolIT

Last edited:
Associate
Well it seems every review I've read the ECO is always 1 or 2 behind the H50. Variability is all well and good, but it's always consistently in that 'variable' section, and never varying on the better side from what I see.

Associate
It seems the H50 beats the Eco in many reviews but only by a degree or two. This means they both have their place; one is cheaper but marginally worse (so overall you get decent performance for your money)
For sheer performance, however, the H50 just about steals it
But when the prices are the same (as can be found elsewhere), it is in the best interests of those purchasing to get the best they can for their money. In this case, the better of the two as what separates them normally, doesnt in this example.

Back
Top Bottom