Cordless mower recommendation?

Man of Honour
Hmmm, I've found a Greenworks 41cm mower and strimmer bundle for £329 - but it says it's an 80V battery - which doesn't even appear on the Greenworks website??

If it comes with a pair of batteries I reckon they have added them together to make it look better just like when dual core cpu's came about and dodgy sellers were selling dual core 1.8Ghz cpu's as 3.6Ghz just by adding them together.

Whatever you end up buying, personally I wouldn't look at a 2Ah battery for something heavy duty like a mower. My reason being that if a strimmer only lasts 10 minutes on a 2Ah battery a mower is going to be even shorter. Better to aim at 4Ah or more to give you a decent run time.

Soldato
OP
If it comes with a pair of batteries I reckon they have added them together to make it look better just like when dual core cpu's came about and dodgy sellers were selling dual core 1.8Ghz cpu's as 3.6Ghz just by adding them together.

Whatever you end up buying, personally I wouldn't look at a 2Ah battery for something heavy duty like a mower. My reason being that if a strimmer only lasts 10 minutes on a 2Ah battery a mower is going to be even shorter. Better to aim at 4Ah or more to give you a decent run time.

It's definitely 1 x 80V battery as there are pictures of it!

Having said that I've now seen a mower and strimmer bundle available for £290 and according to the description it comes with 2 of the 24V batteries but they are the 4Ah capacity - the only downside is that it is the 36cm model rather than the 41cm!

Associate

Having said that I've now seen a mower and strimmer bundle available for £290 and according to the description it comes with 2 of the 24V batteries but they are the 4Ah capacity - the only downside is that it is the 36cm model rather than the 41cm!

The cordless strimmer is worth it.

It's only a little smaller just means you need to walk it up and down the garden a couple extra times, probably about 5 mins more work

Last edited:
Man of Honour

If you want a strimmer as well add £29.99 to the below and you get a very nice strimmer with adjustable height, two spare spools of line and a three year warranty. I have the strimmer and it's a excellent bit of kit. Coming from a fixed height Bosch the fact that you can extend the Parkside is a godsend for my back. The spools are twin feed as well.
Lidl has a Parkside bare cordless mower for £69.99, add in a charger for £9.99 and a pair of 4Ah batteries at £24.99 each and you have a decent set up for £129.96 with a three year warranty. I have many Parkside tools and they have been of very good quality.
So that's £159.94(*) for a cordless mower, a cordless strimmer, 2x 4Ah 20v batteries and a charger all with a three year warranty. That's a lot of decent kit for not a lot of money. People need to stop being brand snobs as there is nothing wrong with Parkside tools and accessories. I have many of them and have never had any problems with any of them and even if I did have a problem the 3 year warranty is there to cover it. By paying double the cost or more for big brand names you are not getting something thats a massive increase in quality plus many of the big brands only give you a years warranty.

(*) It would have been even cheaper a couple of weeks ago as they had a offer of 25% off batteries and chargers when bought with any cordless tool. On top of that I had a extra 10% off everything in the store due to my Lidl Plus membership rewards.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
People need to stop being brand snobs as there is nothing wrong with Parkside tools and accessories. I have many of them and have never had any problems with any of them and even if I did have a problem the 3 year warranty is there to cover it. By paying double the cost or more for big brand names you are not getting something thats a massive increase in quality plus many of the big brands only give you a years warranty.

I'm by no means a brand snob (for example, before this thread I'd never heard of Greenworks!) - but in my experience you usually get what you pay for! I'm not saying the Lidl/Parkside stuff is no good but oftentimes cheaper is cheaper for a reason and it becomes a false economy! (even Parkside appears to have "Parkside Performance" which I assume is their "premium" (ie. more expensive) range!)

However, Lidl/Parkside could make things a little easier to consider their products - I've just gone to the website and it forces you to download the Parkside app - followed by a struggle to find the online product listings and then unless I'm just being stupid, when you click on "Go to the Onlineshop" it asks you to choose your country......and the UK isn't one of the options!?!? :confused:

Soldato
However, Lidl/Parkside could make things a little easier to consider their products - I've just gone to the website and it forces you to download the Parkside app - followed by a struggle to find the online product listings and then unless I'm just being stupid, when you click on "Go to the Onlineshop" it asks you to choose your country......and the UK isn't one of the options!?!? :confused:

Yeah you actually have to leave the house go to a store, and see if they have what you want. :)

Soldato
If you don't have many cordless power tools already, it's worth considering what other cordless products the manufacturer offers, as you are picking your cordless "ecosystem" for which batteries can be shared.

Soldato
OP
If you don't have many cordless power tools already, it's worth considering what other cordless products the manufacturer offers, as you are picking your cordless "ecosystem" for which batteries can be shared.

I did think of this but I'm not much of a "DIY'er" so my limit is probably going to be the mower and strimmer!

Associate
Parkside etc tools are ok for their price, but there is a distinct difference in quality and performance compared to the bigger brands which you pay a premium for.

My issue with their tools is that they aren't as readily available as others, if it breaks within the 3 year warranty period 9/10 times your just issued a refund as after the initial sale they won't have that item in stock again, spares aren't so easy to get. They are more of a throw away tool range hence the price.

Those who rave about parkside etc tools, fine they do the job you want them to do at the price your happy to pay. But calling others brand snobs who want different is silly. I started out buying cheap tools for DIY etc, had a couple of parkside tools and they were ok, they didn't last long. Over time I got fed up of buying cheap tools often so bought into the Hitachi range of tools, and to be honest they were like night and day, the difference is in the little things, not only is the build quality a lot better, but the ease they complete the task is usually a lot better too, the little things is to do with the trigger and the sensitivity and the precision in how they operate.

I will and do still buy cheap parkside type tools when I want them for a specific job that I'm likely not going to use particularly often. I currently have a Aldi garden scarifier bought last year, it's ok, does the job, build quality is good enough for using on a 70ft garden once a year, it's very noisy and weighted all wrong, if I were using it regularly I'd get a much better version.

Soldato
Has anyone used the LawnMaster cordless mowers? I quite like the rear roller, for stripes and stability reasons.

Specifically looking at the 34cm one.
Never heard of it. What batteries does it use? Would seem odd IMHO to go off-brand - don't under estimate the power of Ryobi/Makita etc. when it comes to spares/batteries/longevity.

Associate
2x24v 4.0ah batteries

Mark at easylawnmowing gave it the best for small lawns award, which is what I have at 100m2. His reviews seem very professional and impartial.

Last edited:
Soldato
We have the Greenworks G40LM41 and we're really happy with it - it's the 40V system so single battery, with a 41cm cutting diameter. I already had their batteries as I had their battery powered pressure washer, and decided to stay in the GW system because they also have a good selection of other gardening tools such as line trimmers and hedge trimmers etc.

Associate
I did a lot of research recently and settled on a Cobra RM4140V. They also do the MX4140V which is the same without the rear roller and a little cheaper.

They have a good quality 40v Samsung battery so are more powerful than a lot of the other stuff around this price point, decent 50ltr grass bag and metal deck.

Back
Top Bottom