Cork or screw???

Associate
What do you prefer when opening a bottle?

Down at the local shop I’ve just noticed that the bottle of prosecco I usually buy has came out in a screw lid.
Exact same type, exact amount but 50p cheaper per bottle.

So which would have go for? I’ve heard bottle with corks that you pop are fresher but that could just be crap!

Anyways I went for the cork as that’s what I’m used to

Soldato
I always like the people in restaurants that take an exaggerated length of time to decide if the wine they've ordered is corked or not... 10 seconds after the waiter has undone the screw-cap in front of them :o

Soldato
When I was in Oz more often the expensive wines were screw top - they don't care for tradition so much. It makes no difference to the contents, if it's the same wine, same year, but 50p cheaper, you'd be a mug not to.

Soldato
Never had a screw top prosecco before but I guess it's easier to let the pressure out slowly with that than you can do with a cork? It's easy to spill a little when removing a cork if the bottle has been shaken at all.

Soldato
If you're going cheap, screw top is better as at that price, too much of a % of the bottle cost is going in to the cork not the wine.

Have never seen a screw top for Prosecco or other sparkling wine OP, is it just as fizzy?

Soldato
Oh...You are serious! Suggest you have a quick read up on what it actually means and how it occurs.
Well when people say "corked" they are just talking about oxidation yes? The chances of that happening in a screw-top are far, far less likely. Almost to the point of being impossible. What's your point?

Back
Top Bottom