Cork or screw???

Soldato
Corked and oxidised are actually 2 different things.
So, contrary to @Dis86 's nitpicking, it would actually be impossible for a screw-top to be corked then?

Likewise. I used to drink a lot. We have loads in the house where people have brought it over, but we don't drink it. Fizz or red really. I'll have a beer when it's super hot too. Don't know why but both wife and I went off white.
Yeah, beyond a nice Marlborough SB I always think I'm going to get headachy form it. Not a hangover but after the second glass or whatever. I don't think I even do; I just equate white with a weird headachy feeling. Fizz is fine...

Soldato
So, contrary to @Dis86 's nitpicking, it would actually be impossible for a screw-top to be corked then?
Not impossible, no...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...n-a-screw-cap-wine-be-corked/article25072883/

They're just different things :) corking as described above, and then oxidisation, which can, like being "corked" also occur in the winemaking process as well as after, when bottled. The fact is that a screw top can reduce the risk of these things occurring when the wine is in the bottle.

Caporegime
screw top if you're necking a bottle of 1.99 dog pee out of a blue bag in the park.

To be fair unless you are spending £30 on a bottle then you are only buying about 50p worth of wine so cork or screw won't make any difference. I doubt you will see any £30 bottles of wine with a screw top

Soldato
To be fair unless you are spending £30 on a bottle then you are only buying about 50p worth of wine so cork or screw won't make any difference. I doubt you will see any £30 bottles of wine with a screw top
Also not true. Look at Australian wine. Penfolds has wines over 100quid with screw tops. They started the screw top. (technically the Swiss did, but the ones to really run with it were the Aussies.)

Soldato
As said above its more traditional wine making countries in europe that use cork with Australia etc primarily using screw top. I'm not fussed either way and won't turn my nose up at a screw top bottle. Although I don't think I've ever seen a screw top sparkling before. Loses some of the fun of popping the top

Soldato
I don't dislike corks, but I do dislike ruined wine. In general the better wines with corks have higher quality corks so it should be less of a risk, but if I pay £50 for a nice bottle and lay it down for a few years I feel more comfortable if it's a screwcap.

Back
Top Bottom