Cornwall

Associate
anyone on here live down there? will be moving down there once i've completed my RMN training. Just wondered what it's like to live there? i have a good mate in a place called sennen cove and me and my missus went down when we first started going out. At the moment we're renting a flat in wolverhampton (my home town) but the ultimate goal /was/ to move to australia and hook up with some other friends, but we decided that once we've got married and the pitter patter of little 'uns is being talked about we want to stay in this country, at least while our folks are still here.

so... could do with some good/bad points please!

thanks

Soldato
I lived there/live there and will hopefully end up there again once I get my uni and teaching courses done.
Its a whole different way of life, and I miss it sometimes!
Edit: Good/bad point (delete as appropriate). There are no KFCs in Cornwall.

Last edited:
Associate
Pickers said:
I lived there/live there and will hopefully end up there again once I get my uni and teaching courses done.
Its a whole different way of life, and I miss it sometimes!
Edit: Good/bad point (delete as appropriate). There are no KFCs in Cornwall.

There's a KFC currently being built at Longrock, Penzance. Right next to B&Q.

I've lived in Cornwall for 8 years, having moved from Milton Keynes (London before that). I love it, wouldn't move back "up-country" for anything.

It's a great place to live, except for the "emmets" in the summer holidays. The only downside for me is the lack of decent shops.

Associate
OP
thats not such a big downside though - im not much of a shopper in shops, but i do like to spend my hard-earned on the interweb.

and im not a big fast food person tbh - odd chinoise every now and again maybe.

what we're after is -

weather, sea, sand, greenery, clean(er) air and ultimately a job down there for both of us when i've qualified.

the BIG masterplan is to run a little b&b and restaurant but somewhere that won't just be the summer tourist trade, somewhere that has a good rep by the locals for a fantastic dining experience! but that's 15+ years from now maybe even 20.

keep em coming though!

Soldato
I was at Plymouth uni for three years but went to Cornwall quite a few times and it's a lovely part of the country. Very chilled out, everything just meanders along down there. Easily the nicest beaches in the country too.

As others have mentioned thought it doesn't have the best range of shops, and you're miles from anywhere even when you hit a town. Plymouth is the closest city and there are plently of shops and clubs there if you fancy a big night out, they're just about finished with the shiny new shopping centre too.

Soldato
I LOVE Cornwall.

When I was younger we used to go for holidays down there in our caravan :D Newquay is awesome and Truro is a great little harbour town, I think there's someone from Truro on here actually.

The weather's great and so's the scenery, I'm so envious of you :( I think that's the only place I'd like to go and live in the UK to be honest.

Associate
I moved down to Padstow in North Cornwall for work last summer and will probably stay here a for a few years. However, overall it's all a bit too laid back for my liking and I really miss living in a city especially having lived in London. It is a lovely part of the country though and I do enjoy living here.

Soldato
Andelusion said:
Newquay is awesome and Truro is a great little harbour town, I think there's someone from Truro on here actually.
Me from Truro :) Never heard it called a harbour town though - its not on the coast, just on the River Truro/Kenwyn... To be honest the shops are fine for me.
The ONLY REAL pain, is traffic, especially over the summer period - getting into Truro. The A30 is currently having a massive overhaul at the old bottleneck on the Goss Moor. WIll make the landscape look rubbish - but will make moving around the county less painful.
As for weather - expect more rain :)
Be prepared for relief land. When I moved to soton for uni I was really shocked to hear people complain about "walking uphill" on a slight incline in the landscape. I also appeared to be more acustomed to rain. What I classed as drizzle, everyone else classes as a heavy downpour.

My parents used to run a B&B in Newlyn East - a quaint village near to Newquay. They made some really good friends and it worked for them. That was a long time ago now tho. Nearly 22 years ago.

Edit: Feel free to add me to MSM if you want a more interactive discussion. I keep adding things here as I think of them, and its a little jumbled!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Elzar said:
I moved down to Padstow in North Cornwall for work last summer and will probably stay here a for a few years. However, overall it's all a bit too laid back for my liking and I really miss living in a city especially having lived in London. It is a lovely part of the country though and I do enjoy living here.

thats kinda why we're happy in wolves for now, but a few years from now the appeal of big city life will be waining!

Man of Honour
We only visit Cornwall once or twice a year (Port Isaac) but I would seriously love to retire there.
Not sure if I could live there during my working years as the income drop might annoy me, but it's definitely my favourite place in England & I've seen a lot of England.
The pubs, people, landscapes & scenery, history, cleanliness & general way of life appeal to me immensely. This may not be typical of all of Cornwall, but it's my perceptions of the areas I've stayed in:)

Associate
Pickers said:
There are no KFCs in Cornwall.

Not true, one opened last year in newquay high street, along from subway but not as far as whsmith IIRC, my gran uses it regularly, shes 92 lol quite funny she loves fast food. very off topic but true!

Soldato
Cornwall is the nicest place in the U.K. in my opinion.

I would move there tomorrow if it didn't mean I wouldn't get to see my son.

I usually stay at a camping/ caravaning site in Crantock just outside Newquay.

Magical, magical place.

Always makes me realise what a dump kent is when I get home.

I *will* live there one day. So many happy memories of the place from over the years.

Dreams...........

From Newquay my self, can get a little boreing in the winter, but the summers rock down here and usally make up for that, the people are really chilled and freindly, have'nt met many cornish people tho, :), my only real complaint is recently the town does seem to be getting envaded by small gangs of chavs and chavettes, other than that its a nice place.

Associate
OP
most towns are like that though mate. apparantly adidas and burburry is some kind of fashion statement.

maybe in it's original form it is, but i really can't see people like that shopping in a burberry store! lols

Soldato
I'm in Redruth, or as I like to call it Redrough. everything is way chilled out down here. Perhaps all us cornish OcUkers should arrange for a meet up, seems there's quite a few of us here :)

I'd heard about the KFC in PZ, but did'nt realise that it was going a head, haven't had a KFC since I was in Plymouth 2 years ago. If you wanted a KFC you had to drive to Plymouth, and thats exactly what me and a mate did lol was good fun :)

We het chavs here aswell. They really do crack me roght up, usually with aminger on their arm with an Orange tan.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Went to Sennon Cove last year, was nice, most westerly beach in the country I think?

Newquay is ok, bit too 18-30 in the summer though, St Ives and Perranporth much nicer imho :)

Soldato
I live in Fowey (Hello to all the other Cornwallians who have posted) I also moved from Milton Keynes 8 years ago (Very Freaky). I'm in Bournemouth at the moment for Uni and theres not a day goes by when I miss Cornwall (and Bournemouth is supposed to be one of the best sea-side towns on the south coast). I couldn't live being away from the sea tbh but even being at bournemouth beach isnt the same as any where in Cornwall.

Panzer

Soldato
Ev0 said:
Went to Sennon Cove last year, was nice, most westerly beach in the country I think?

Newquay is ok, bit too 18-30 in the summer though, St Ives and Perranporth much nicer imho :)

I agree with you there mate, newquay is a bit 18 - 30, I've never actually spent more than about 20 minutes there whilst I'm just passing through when I'm out cruising round in the summer.

Perranporth is ok, very toristy, full of restaurants and takeaways. Certainly not worth spending a whole day there, maybe a few hours, late afternoon/early evening if you want some good food, but you wouldn't want to make your stay too long.

I went to Senon last year with my ex, sadly it was very foggy when we went so we didn't stay long.

Soldato
I live somewhere near penzance ;) Be prepared for rather poor wages compared to the rest of the country mate. I don't really know what it is that you want to be doing but the wages aren't brilliant down here.

The air is clean, the locals are friendly and most pubs etc are welcoming. Though I have found a few in local towns to be a bit clickey (sp?). The weather is pretty dire most of the time and is very unpredictable down here. We got some lovely beaches and I guess depending on what you like doing there is something for most people.....

Its not as rough down here as up country but its getting that way I think as I read about more trouble and see more weirdo's walking the streets shouting things at other people.

Where do you want to move to out of interest?

Associate
OP
Not too sure. I'm currently training in mental health so not expecting a huge wage off the NHS but I'm at a point in my life where it's not about the money. I walked away froma job that pays me 25k in favour of a job that I actually love doing, and with some fantastic people. In Wolverhampton I'm used to all kinds of nutbags and live in between two areas which have bad reps, but personally never had any trouble as yet, so the odd chavvy surfer isn't an issue for me.

I really have little experience of Cornwall on the whole, only Sennen, but the short time I spent there I felt at home - walking along the beach, just being with the missus. Simple pleasures. I'm not gonna be tied to big hospitals if I can help it - I'm guessing Exeter would be the biggest down there? I will hopefully working in rehab units for people sectioned under the mental health act.

We're talking post 2008 (when I qualify) and I've got a wedding in 2007 to sort out first, I'm just planning and looking at the big picture!

Back
Top Bottom