Corsair 500R Watercooling options?

Associate
Please can someone help...

I am potentially now looking towards re-entering watercooling, my last setup was back in the days when the AMD Thoroughbred chips were about.

I know space might be an issue but this is what I have got to work with, I dont want to change case what so ever, it fits my bench exceptional well.

Obviously at the moment I am happy just to keep it as a CPU based setup with perhaps the option of going to GPU.

I see OcUK do a few all in one kits but whats the best option for me please. I am to be cooling an Intel i7 2600K.

Thanks

Update: This now contains CPU & GPU loop builds.

Last edited:
Soldato
You need a 240 radiator thats 29mm or less thick (think the H100 is 26mm). Unless you want to loose the top mesh then you could fit any thickness radiator in there.

Failing that if you don't mind loosing/re-positioning the hard drive cages and cutting part of the bottom 5.25" tray out, extending a few of the mounting holes then you can fit a 240 of any size in the front. A guy did a decent WC build with a 500R on OC.CO.AU, seemed he had to do a fair whack of mods just to get any decent sized radiator in.

Have a 500R and my build in progress is going to involve an external rad box containing a pair of 360 radiators, the 500R is built for air cooling, unlike other higher end Corsair cases that are suitable for both air and water.

Soldato
They do exist if you look around, you may get some of OcUK's slimmer 240's in if you put the fans up top and the rad underneath but it could be quite tight. Check my build log, I've got a 500r with a 240mm rad mounted in the top :)

Associate
OP
Appreciate the info, I think I have found the rad I would need, I'd want mine mounted where the existing one from the H100 is thus allowing me my fans on bottom.

What combination of pump/res did you use, sorry I am on my phone so couldn't find it??

Soldato
Appreciate the info, I think I have found the rad I would need, I'd want mine mounted where the existing one from the H100 is thus allowing me my fans on bottom.

What combination of pump/res did you use, sorry I am on my phone so couldn't find it??

It's the DCP 2.2 pump and res :)

Associate
OP
Your results seem great both looks and performance.

I still need to research, what is the best block for the i7 and what size tubing, bartbs etc but its good to know it can be done without having to really modify the chassis.

Associate
OP
Does having a slim rad hamper the temps much, for example if I had a standard rad what difference in temps would you generally see.

Associate
OP
It helps in the fact it makes me know I want to go back to watercooling :)

I just need to decide full size rad and remove the mesh and look fugly or slim and have it all hidden.

Soldato
Do you plan on putting the gpu in the loop?

If not I'm not too sure on how much better a slimline 240 would be over a h100.

You don't have to totally remove the top mesh just either cut out the area of the larger Rad or box it out to cover the radiator.

Associate
OP
I think my gpu will remain air cooled until a later date, so lets say no.

"You don't have to totally remove the top mesh just either cut out the area of the larger Rad or box it out to cover the radiator." Can you add some info to this please, what do you mean exactly?

Soldato
To cut out, mark up where the radiator would conflict with the mesh and cut it out, to box it do the same but you would be making a slightly larger cut, the bending the excess down to create a box section to cover the Rad.

Its a pain in the backside which is why I have settled on a phobya 1080 external Rad.

Associate
OCUK use the XSPC EX240 rad, it fits perfect (or what they told me) and is what they use in their current prewatercooled range.

My friend has the Hardwarelabs GT stealth (the slim version) of the 240 and it fits in mine ok. The fittings look like they wont fit though.

Associate
OP
Its not too bad with just the slim rad and some decent fans. There's always room for more rads in the bottom/front if you take out one of the hdd racks :)

Yea, i'd rather do that than cut or modify the case, obviously I can appreciate its not the greatest case to create a water cooling system around.

SO what do I need, give me a spec list, how much tubings, fittings etc.

Was going to just buy on of the EK kits and replace the Rad with the Magicool Slim one but that might not be cost effective.

Last edited:
Soldato
OCUK use the XSPC EX240 rad, it fits perfect (or what they told me) and is what they use in their current prewatercooled range.

My friend has the Hardwarelabs GT stealth (the slim version) of the 240 and it fits in mine ok. The fittings look like they wont fit though.

I wonder if they mount the radiator on the underside and have fans on top under the mesh? As according to corsair there is only 29mm clearance under the mesh side and the EX240 is 35.5mm...

@iTek what about the V8 kit? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-041-OE&groupid=962&catid=1532&subcat=

Provided that EX240 does fit on one way or another as mentioned above that has pretty much everything you are going to need.

Associate
OP
Yea man providing that does fit, I hope a system builder can verify that for me. Like he stated its offered here from ocuk so I assume it goes under?

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps ask in the CS section or use a webnote to ask/confirm with OCUK before you buy?

It could be that the WC listing is just generic rather than what fits.

Either way looking forward to seeing what you do with your build, especially if you consider adding another rad to the floor of the case and putting the GPU in the loop :D

Back
Top Bottom