Corsair 500R Watercooling options?

Associate
OP
The top section is, at most, 33mm deep so I really can't see how the EX would fit in there.

Inside I've got Gentle Tyhpoons which are ~25mm thick (though mine are closer to 30 with a rubber "washer" in place) and there's ~15mm clearance to the ram/cpu cooler and ~10mm to the cpu fan header. That gives a total clearance inside of the case of ~40mm to the cpu fan header and ~45mm to the ram meaning that a thicker rad would fit inside.

If you remove the lower HDD tray there'd be room for a full size 240 rad (there's already fan grills and fixing holes in the bottom of the case) but you'd have to be creative with the pump mounting.

You could also do what I've done and remove the middle HDD tray. I've used this space to mount the pump and left the case fan in place. There's more than enough room to get a full thickness 120 rad in there if you wanted additional cooling over a slim in the top at any point.

Thanks for the measurements, should be easier to find a rad for the top now with those measurements.

I don't know how you mean for the bottom, I can see where I would remove the cage but I cant see how I could get air from the bottom of the case over the radiator.

At the bottom of the case it goes PSU...120mm Fan...Bottom Cage.

I could see the other option working fine, using a thin rad for the top and a second radiator in the middle cage, I could mount the pump on the top of my optical drive which is at the bottom.

Thanks for the input, i'm struggling with knowing what size tubing to use? also the fittings.

Soldato
For the bottom of the case you could use those EK 120mm riser/external adaptor stands to lift it up while at the same time hold it in place? I should/could be done with minimal hassle I would say, though if like me you have an oversized PSU then this isn't an option as it covers part of the bottom fan mount.

Also as for putting a 120.1 in where a single HDD cage would be, I think it could actually be put in the gap, standing vertically you would have to rotate it though, as the ~150mm end would be too large, could probably slip it in horizontally on top of the other cage. I tried to fasten a 120mm fan in place where the top HDD cage was and although it fit quite nicely there wasn't a great deal of play, so you would have to either rotate it or lay it down.

Soldato
What would the noobist go for? compression should be safer right? do you have hose clips on yours?

I'm a water noob too :p

I've got no clips, just tubing over barbs - they're such a tight fit that I needed to heat the tubing in warm water to make it flexible enough to get it over the barbs so I'm not worried about it coming off :)

Associate
OP
Could you have a radiator fitted on the inside with the fans on top?

That is one of the possibilities... I am favouring this because it means I can use a slightly thicker rad and should give improvements over the slim.

Just fit my new PSU so back to this dilema now, I have removed the bottom cage so I have more space.

Associate
OP
t80e_5e5_u815t.jpg

grq4_66b_u815t.jpg

grq4_bcb_u815t.jpg

grq4_32f_u815t.jpg

grq4_be4_u815t.jpg

grq4_0d6_u815t.jpg

grq4_3c9_u815t.jpg

So here is my CPU loop, using a 280 Radiator from the bottom with 2x 140mm beQuiet fans exhausting, temps are much better under load in comparison to the H100, just using EK DCP 2.0 Pump and Res combo with the XSPC Rasa block. I'd like to thank Cupra for his assistance a little bit of head scratching when it came to the radiator mounting since the holes didn't align first time, second, third and fourth, ultimately brute force and basic tools got the job in the end.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i'll take it on-board and consider moving it :) it will help tidy up the cables but I feel it benefits from a better air flow facing up, since the side case fan is sucking directly over it. Just my thoughts...

Soldato
I saw that, the HIS one? Not bad value at all considering the blocks alone are £60+

Typically a PSU will pull air in via the fan and exhaust out of the rear, so with it facing down it will pull cool air in from the bottom through the supplied dust filter and exhaust out of the back.

Plus with it moved you should be able to get that 8pin CPU cable moved around the rear of the motherboard trey and out of sight :)

What sort of temp differences are you seeing over the H100 you had in previously? Hopeful I can start with my build this week :D

Associate
OP
In all honesty idles are 3 or 4 degrees better and under load examples 10 - 12 degrees better.

I am happy with the results given its a slim radiator (30mm) again I don't think I have a particularly good chip, it takes 1.358V to sit at 4.6Ghz which I believe is above average.

Back
Top Bottom