Corsair 500R Watercooling options?

Soldato
I've got a feeling they fit it with the fans up top and the rad inside, I asked in the CS section and was told that the EX240 fits... I just don't see how without it being stupendously tight to fit things around it!

Soldato
I've got a feeling they fit it with the fans up top and the rad inside, I asked in the CS section and was told that the EX240 fits... I just don't see how without it being stupendously tight to fit things around it!

Looking at your build log I would guess thats the case, you appear to have at least another 10-15mm between the fan and the memory, I guess what space is available may be motherboard dependant.

Very nice build by the way Cyanide

Soldato
Looking at your build log I would guess thats the case, you appear to have at least another 10-15mm between the fan and the memory, I guess what space is available may be motherboard dependant.

Very nice build by the way Cyanide

The only issues I would forsee is getting to the cpu fan header and getting the 8 Pin power to the m/b (I had an absolute nightmare with mine!) but I suppose it could work if you plug everything in to the m/b and then install the rad.

And thanks :D

Associate
OP
I'm potentially going to go for this so we shall know shortly, would you have the funs pulling on the top or pushing...

Associate
I wonder if they mount the radiator on the underside and have fans on top under the mesh? As according to corsair there is only 29mm clearance under the mesh side and the EX240 is 35.5mm...

@iTek what about the V8 kit? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-041-OE&groupid=962&catid=1532&subcat=

Provided that EX240 does fit on one way or another as mentioned above that has pretty much everything you are going to need.

It might not be the EX then (although this is what they told me), I looked on the XSPC site and it said it was like 27mm thick.

Soldato
I'm potentially going to go for this so we shall know shortly, would you have the funs pulling on the top or pushing...

personally I'd always have top fans as exhausts - warm air rises so you want to get it out of the case via the easiest path. And seeing as the airflow is excellent in the 500r you shouldnt have to worry about blowing case-warmed air through the rad (it'll be warmer than ambient but not a lot)

Associate
OP

Extensive reply from overclockers... "It is usually mounted at the top of the case as that is where the most room will be"

Soldato
But where specifically in the top of the case? Seems a bit aof a vague reply. I'll measure mine tonight, near positive it wont take a 35mm Rad (ex240).

Soldato
I would have thought they'd put it in the top of the case (where I've got the fans on my build) rather than the top grill section as there's no way it'll fit under the grill.

*edit* My Magicool slim barely fits in there without distorting the grill so I'll eat my own face if you can fit the EX240 in that bit witout modding sometihng

Associate
OP
I would have thought they'd put it in the top of the case (where I've got the fans on my build) rather than the top grill section as there's no way it'll fit under the grill.

*edit* My Magicool slim barely fits in there without distorting the grill so I'll eat my own face if you can fit the EX240 in that bit witout modding sometihng

Thanks mate for trying.

Soldato
Magicool 240 slim is 30mm, anything bigger than that's going to need modifications to get it in the top. I can measure clearances etc with gear inside the case tonight if you want?

Associate
OP
But where specifically in the top of the case? Seems a bit aof a vague reply. I'll measure mine tonight, near positive it wont take a 35mm Rad (ex240).

I re-asked them to be more precise because I like you thought it was very vague, I got a reply to be fair.
"Where I really couldn't say exactly where for definite as they can be fitted wherever there is enough space. The best thing to do is to have a look at this video which will explain more about where you could fit a radiator.

Regards,"

Basically no help, anyway OcUK aside once i've got some more measurements from Cyanide tonight we/I should be able to move forward.

Soldato
The top section is, at most, 33mm deep so I really can't see how the EX would fit in there.

Inside I've got Gentle Tyhpoons which are ~25mm thick (though mine are closer to 30 with a rubber "washer" in place) and there's ~15mm clearance to the ram/cpu cooler and ~10mm to the cpu fan header. That gives a total clearance inside of the case of ~40mm to the cpu fan header and ~45mm to the ram meaning that a thicker rad would fit inside.

If you remove the lower HDD tray there'd be room for a full size 240 rad (there's already fan grills and fixing holes in the bottom of the case) but you'd have to be creative with the pump mounting.

You could also do what I've done and remove the middle HDD tray. I've used this space to mount the pump and left the case fan in place. There's more than enough room to get a full thickness 120 rad in there if you wanted additional cooling over a slim in the top at any point.

Back
Top Bottom