Corsair 600T watercooled build: "Blue Dragon"

Associate
OP
I have a question to OP. I've been eyeing this thread for awhile, and while I know you mentioned that there is only 55mm of room, 25 for the fans, and 30 for the radiator, how exact is this? The Magicool 360 Elegant Radiator is 34mm thick, any chance that there is 4 mm of extra room in there?

thanks! I'm looking forward to your progress!

It's 26mm thick :). This is the Magicool Slim, not the elegant. You can fit a thicker rad if you won't mind cutting your ATX power connector a bit (the plastic bit will need sanding down), and if your motherboard doesn't have any big protruding heatsinks in that area.

Associate
OP
PROTOTYPE!!

I'm supposed to be in another city at the moment doing something incredibly boring so I thought I'd cobble together a working prototype/proof of concept thingy just to make sure I'm not barking up a lamppost :). Transparent blue acrylic with blue led strip:

Stripping gummy stuff from the led strip:

Acrylic backplate for the laser-cut design. The idea was to sand down one side to leave a matt appearance. This is half-way through sanding, before I found some nice fine grit paper:

I'm not sure whether a lit up matt + translucent or shiny + transparent surface will give the best effect so I'll eventually be trying both. A comparison:

Putting everything together:

Associate
OP
RESULTS!!

Too much LED glow on these:

...So I mounted the LEDs on the case instead, and put translucent tape over them to reduce the amount of glowiness.

Pretty happy with how it works. I think I'll take it slowly from here until I get the effect I want. As I have two of those dragon plates, one of them is going back to the cutters to have it resized so it fits in 3 x 5.25 bays perfectly (instead of being mounted on the front).

Byebye for now :p.

Associate
Thanks OP for checking that for me! I've been following your build, and many others for quite some time. I have one more question! Do you think that there is a possibility in removing the Fan control ( to get rid of redundancy.) and putting a fillport there instead?

Associate
OP
Thanks OP for checking that for me! I've been following your build, and many others for quite some time. I have one more question! Do you think that there is a possibility in removing the Fan control ( to get rid of redundancy.) and putting a fillport there instead?

Haha same wavelength. I looked into doing this at length, and nearly ordered an acetal top end from a koolance res to make the fillport, but decided that I'd rather have a fan controller.

But yeh, it's possible, the fan controller is only held in by a few screws.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I have a 600T coming tomorrow, and seeing this thread has made me want to go with watercooling for the first time :D

2 questions..

1) if I wanted to put a 240mm rad at the top, would that give enough cooling? I intend on copying the mahoosive quad at the front, but not so keen on cutting up a new case for the triple rad at the top.

2) I see you mention you have an EK top on your pump, is it the "EK-D5 X-Top V2 Acetal G1/4" - Pump Top " ?

Excellent work! I hope you don't mind me borrowing your genius ideas!

Associate
OP

Thanks + np at all ;).

Bear in mind it's actually a lot less cutting to fit a triple rad in the top than a quad in the front - the quad requires you to remove the 5.25cages (de-rivet) and cut out a slice of the bottom bay before replacing it (I did this with nuts+bolts because I don't have a rivet gun). You might be able to do the cuts without removing the bay, but it's a lot more fiddly as there's not much room to work in the case.

If you don't want to cut the case up, you can fit a 200mm Phobya rad in the front without mods, and it looks incredibly cool. That with a 240mm up top should be enough for a cpu + gpu loop.

And ye, that's the right top. It makes mounting the pump a lot easier, just cut the lip off the HDD cage, and drill a couple of mounting holes to line up with the holes in the pump top :). It'll make a lot more sense when you get the stuff.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So would a 200 + 240 rad setup be enough for a CPU & dual 580s? That's the easy option haha

Baring in mind there's no overclock on any of the components.

If you have any pictures of the cutting you did for the quad rad, can you email me. I don't want to ruin an otherwise awesome thread with questions :)

Associate
OP
So would a 200 + 240 rad setup be enough for a CPU & dual 580s? That's the easy option haha

Baring in mind there's no overclock on any of the components.

If you have any pictures of the cutting you did for the quad rad, can you email me. I don't want to ruin an otherwise awesome thread with questions :)

Yep, should be enough. 120mm rad per component is supposed to be enough to get temps that match/exceed air cooling, and I think the 200mm is a match for most 240mm rads. I'll take some pics of the cuts and email them tomorrow :).

Back
Top Bottom