Corsair Carbide Air 540 Builds

Thanks Sgt Pepper, if i do purchase this case it will not be sitting on my desk (no room) and it will need to sit on the floor. I may have to build something to raise it slightly.

Can I just confirm these are the best fans to replace the standard ones with in the case?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-006-CS&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=1816

If so how many do I need and of what size as I see theres 120mm and 140mm versions. I don't get my case until Weds so can't look myself :(

Many thanks

All depends what you are going to be building. The case comes with 3 140mm fans, you can have up to 5 140mm or 5 120mm and 1 140mm.

If you are air cooling i would wait and see what you think of the standard fans before spending out on replacements.

If you are going to fit a water cooled setup then the fans are determined by your radiator as to 140mm or 120mm.

The AF120 / AF140's are very good and look good. But I would wait and see when you get the case, the standard fans are a bit boring but they are ok and you can play what you want were with them before ordering more... lets face it the AF120/140's are not cheap.

Well, I've just finished putting a custom CPU waterloop into my 540 and that really was not easy or fun. I didn't think it was a particularly easy case to do a build in for air cooling, but with watercooling it's a real ball-ache. (Am I allowed to say ball-ache?)

Lovely thanks guys I'll see how I get on once I've got my build done :-)

Fancy getting the h100i eventually but certainly don't feel capable of watercooling although must admit the watercooled builds on here look fantastic :-)

Well, I've just finished putting a custom CPU waterloop into my 540 and that really was not easy or fun. I didn't think it was a particularly easy case to do a build in for air cooling, but with watercooling it's a real ball-ache. (Am I allowed to say ball-ache?)

For the water cooling side, yes some of the stuff I bought before hand thinking it would fit did not, so had to change plans, would be nice to have an Obsidian version of this case, all aluminium with a couple of extra inches length and hight.

As for air cooling, not sure what you could possibly have trouble with such, seems ideal for air cooling.

I can't agree with this.
Any water cooled build will be challenging and with the 540 most of us are putting more than a single radiator in which will always make it harder.

I will accept that positioning a pump and res is not as easy as it should be and the lack of ability to use a bay Res is a serious flaw.

As for Air cooling... well what's awkward there... its very, very easy.

Ahh OK ...cos I put two of the stock fans back in at the top....and via BOIS put the fan profile to Silent they are running at about 650rpm and I cant hear them at all......I did have two Aerocool Shark 140s , and even on silent they are too noisy

Yup sharks are very loud. Don't get me wrong the stock fans are ok, but the corsair fans with the color rings are really quiet.

Gonna be ordering one of these soon for my new build and I have a quick question. Since you guys say the stock fans a quite loud and you've replaced them, what have you replaced them with? And how many would I need to completely replace and fill all fan slots (including an H100)? Not sure if the 140 are better for the front or the 3 120 fans would be better, really.

I thought they were ridiculously loud but when i ran them at 7V, they were pretty much silent. I just have the stock 140 at the back though as ive replaced everything with GTs.
If you plan to replace all the fans, then the config would be:
Either 3 140mm fans with 4 120mm fans in push pull on the H100 OR
3 120mm fans and either a 140mm or 120mm fan for the exhaust and 4 120mm fans for push pull.

3 120mm fans would be best due to the filter up front.

Id recommend 3 120mm static pressure fans and a 140mm fan for the exhaust. Personally, id go with just push on the H100.

I recommend the Scythe Gentle Typhoons but you dont want to be running them at 1850RPM if you like your rig to be quiet!

Back
Top Bottom