Corsair Carbide Air 540 Builds

I think so too :)

But I dont know enough about them to know what not to waste money on lol

You don't need to spend a lot to moderate the fan noise, just get yourself a molex to 3x 3pin fan connectors, a quick poke of the the wires and you can have them down to 7v or 5v although I don't think the fans in the 540 run at 5v. At 7v they are very quiet while still shifting plenty of air.

This makes it clear and simple.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

I'm probably going to make the jump and purchase this case. I've got a quick question however. All the cable's people have, are they looking the way they are because of the PSU being modular? My cables are all split etc, so I was curious.

some excellent builds nice to see people are noticing what i said first about the hard drive cages.

would be nice if corsair make a black cover for them. :cool:

I'm probably going to make the jump and purchase this case. I've got a quick question however. All the cable's people have, are they looking the way they are because of the PSU being modular? My cables are all split etc, so I was curious.

I don't honestly think having a modular PSU helps much in this case. It's very hard to keep the hidden area looking neat even with modular cables because its all crammed in a small area, but as that's not on show it does not matter too much.

Just ordered some rigid acrylic tubing which I shall be trying out in my 540.
Should be fun.

Last edited:
Nice build Yerman

nice cooler too :D

i have the black one

Thanks, yes it really is a great cooler, I'm quite surprised just how well it works.

I have a question for anyone with a 540 case.

Is anyone having issues using USB 3.0 devices connected to the front panel? When I connect my USB 3.0 external hard drive to the front panel it doesn't work and I get hundreds of errors in Event Viewer saying 'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR11 during a paging operation.'

If I connect the same hard drive to the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the motherboard it works fine with no errors. Also, if I connect a USB 2.0 device to the front panel that works fine, it's only 3.0 devices that give me errors.

I can't work out if its a physical problem with the case, a motherboard issue or a driver problem.

My front USB 3.0 is fine. I have used it with 3 different motherboards now and it's been fine with each. It could be cable or motherboard. I guess probably not drivers if the device is working ok on the direct USB 3 ports.

Check the motherboard / lead for any bent pins would be my first advice.

My front USB 3.0 is fine. I have used it with 3 different motherboards now and it's been fine with each. It could be cable or motherboard. I guess probably not drivers if the device is working ok on the direct USB 3 ports.

Check the motherboard / lead for any bent pins would be my first advice.

Thanks for the advice, all the pins look fine to me. I'm guessing it's most likely the lead or front panel on the 540 that's faulty but impossible to say without trying another motherboard.

I've seen a few similar issues in the Corsair forums for other cases and they sent out replacement front panels so I might try contacting Corsair.

Thanks for the advice, all the pins look fine to me. I'm guessing it's most likely the lead or front panel on the 540 that's faulty but impossible to say without trying another motherboard.

I've seen a few similar issues in the Corsair forums for other cases and they sent out replacement front panels so I might try contacting Corsair.

It would be ideal to try a different board just to rule it out, but if it's really the front I/O USB connector, then we'll need to send you a replacement front I/O panel.

When you create a ticket, the part # for the front I/O panel is CC-8930160.

Took the floor out to paint so thought I'd swap some data from some HDD's. they wont be staying in there.

Just wanted show my cables so far. The pci-e cables will eventually go into the false floor rather than bend under the cards. so only a short run will be visible.

I was toying with the idea of having some solid core pci-e cables so I could bend perfect 90° angles out of the cards and they would be nice and easy to make them go where I wanted .

The colours look a bit washed out, but that's just because of my poo camera

Last edited:
Thanks, yes it really is a great cooler, I'm quite surprised just how well it works.

I have a question for anyone with a 540 case.

Is anyone having issues using USB 3.0 devices connected to the front panel? When I connect my USB 3.0 external hard drive to the front panel it doesn't work and I get hundreds of errors in Event Viewer saying 'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR11 during a paging operation.'

If I connect the same hard drive to the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the motherboard it works fine with no errors. Also, if I connect a USB 2.0 device to the front panel that works fine, it's only 3.0 devices that give me errors.

I can't work out if its a physical problem with the case, a motherboard issue or a driver problem.

No issues with my front panel usb 3.0. Have you checked the pins on you usb3.0 port on mobo? Maybe a pin is bent? That happened to me last year.

My 540 arrived yesterday. Transferred my Gigabyte Z77x-UP5 board and bits n it.

A few little issues & observations :-

- Cables for front power button and lights are just a little too short. Could be position of connector on this board? Using the power switch on the motherboard at the mo - will have to look for extension cables, or lengthen the existing cables myself. Anybody else have this issue?

- Included fans are 3 pin type. Was hoping for 4 pin - my board doesn't control 3 pin fans that well. I have three G3 "golf ball" 4 pin fans I can fit if needed though. One of the fans is sounding a bit "buzzy" too - I think the rear one. Can confirm when I start swapping fans around.

- Not enough course thread screws supplied, as only had 2 left after fitting motherboard so not enough black ones to fasten PSU properly. Just a small issue since I have plenty of "normal" silver ones around.

- Not easy to keep cables tidy in right enclosure, but at least they are hidden. :) Using a corsair modular PSU with those ribbon type cables which aren't easy to bunch up.

- My two hdd's in the bottom trays weren't recognised initially. Had to push them in quite firmly to engaged properly. Don't think I'll get them out in a hurry either.

- No way of mounting a 2.5" device into the front bays (I have a usb3 port/media card tray). A tray adapter would sort this so there is a way around it.

- The accessory box was pretty low on bits. Surprisingly empty for such a small box. Could do with a few more screws, motherboard mounts, some spare thumbscrews etc. Unless they were just missing from mine?

Other than that a nice roomy case, and pretty easy to work on. I'll need to sort out the fans a bit, but on the plus side at the moment when playing games the sound hardly changes - so airflow is a lot better than my old case. :)

May look into watercooling at a later date but my last venture into it didn't end well - it cracked the gpu block and sprung a leak. It was a fairly low cost prefabricated kit though.

- Cables for front power button and lights are just a little too short. Could be position of connector on this board? Using the power switch on the motherboard at the mo - will have to look for extension cables, or lengthen the existing cables myself. Anybody else have this issue?

We can send you a front I/O panel that has longer cables. Just submit a ticket at
Corsair.force.com and we can sort it out for you.

- Included fans are 3 pin type. Was hoping for 4 pin - my board doesn't control 3 pin fans that well. I have three G3 "golf ball" 4 pin fans I can fit if needed though. One of the fans is sounding a bit "buzzy" too - I think the rear one. Can confirm when I start swapping fans around.

If one of the fans is indeed buzzing after you've tested them one at the time, then mention that in the ticket as well so we can replace it, considering that you'd be using the stock fans rather than an after market one.

- The accessory box was pretty low on bits. Surprisingly empty for such a small box. Could do with a few more screws, motherboard mounts, some spare thumbscrews etc. Unless they were just missing from mine?

Your box should include all of these screws;

http://www.spartantechreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/SDC10379.jpg

We can send you a front I/O panel that has longer cables. Just submit a ticket at
Corsair.force.com and we can sort it out for you.

Excellent! Thanks - I'll pop over to the site shortly.

If one of the fans is indeed buzzing after you've tested them one at the time, then mention that in the ticket as well so we can replace it, considering that you'd be using the stock fans rather than an after market one.

I actually think I've found out what the problem is. I'm using the motherboard fan connections, with each of the two front fans plugged into a different connection. For some reason one fan is run at approx half the speed of the other when machine is cool/idle, which speedfan reports as being about 500 rpm. I guess this is a bit on the low side for the fan hence why it "buzzes". Seems ok once things have warmed up a bit (and speed increases) though.

So looks to be a bug with the board when using 3 pin fans and the boards speed management. I'll look into alternative cabling, or a separate fan controller. Your offer was most appreciated though.

Thanks - but in the pics the screws I mention are loose in the big back behind everything else and I can't count 'em. :D

I've actually just read the manual and it states there are 10 MBB/HDD screws provided. The rest of the list also seems to match up with what I had.

Considering 8 such screws are needed for the motherboard (which includes the use of the center peg type one, but not fitting and using the extra one by the expansion slots) it only leaves two for anything else. 1 if I had to use that extra MB mount. Wouldn't be able to fasten many hard disks with that. :)

Not too much of an issue since I have some spare ones of my own, just plain silver ones. Would have been nice for a few extra black ones to be included to maintain the colour scheme and if I needed to secure any disks. Maybe something to amend in the future.

We can send you a front I/O panel that has longer cables. Just submit a ticket at Corsair.force.com and we can sort it out for you.

Hi - I can't seem to PM you, so apologies for posting this here.

Just raised a ticket on the site, but was unable to find the Carbide AIR540 in the drop down list of part numbers. It wouldn't create the ticket until I put a valid part number from the list in there. It wouldn't accept a manual entry of CC-901130-WW either - the code from the corsair website and also on the sticker on the box mine came in. :confused:

I've selected a different part number to create the ticket but put the actual part number in the ticket notes. Hopefully it will result in me getting the correct part.

If you need any additional info let me know/PM me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom