Corsair MP510 nvme m.2 ssd high pitch noise sound under load

Nor is it my case fans (already ruled them all out). It's certianly the m.2 drive.
Could you maybe record a video for us too see and then help you. Sorry if you already did that.

Edit: yeah sorry just saw that you already recorded the noise. Yeah hearing it I agree it doesn't sound odd.

But would you hear it when case is completely closed and over the other fans?

Last edited:
I reckon its the motherboard it sounds like a capacitor is failing on it.
No, that's definitely the sound of some sort of controller or chip. If you load the MP3 into Audacity and change the view to Spectrogram, you'll very clearly see where the noise starts at approx 6 seconds. You can hear quite a lot of controllers if you put your ear right against the chip while it's operation, but otherwise it's not normally audible.

The question is, does the drive operate normally and perform as expected? Because I'm not sure controller noise could be classed as a fault. But if the drive was faulty and performing slower than expected, I'd return it just for that reason.

Hi all,

Thought I'd provide an update on this.

Apologies for not seeing your replies before - no email of responses for some reason :confused:.

UPDATE:

I've had Corsair do an RMA on the m.2 drive. The replacement m.2 is not making any noise as recorded above. They could not clarify (as of writing this reply) whether the noise was a sign of a fault but they insisted I return the drive as a precaution.

Even though the old drive functioned correctly and speeds were as expected, I believe Corsair were correct in their action to request me to send the old one back as a precaution.

Thank you for all your aid in this matter which is now resolved via a RMA under warranty.

To any one else hearing a similar noise as to the above; I would recommend contacting your m.2 manufacturer for an RMA replacement.

PS: I replaced the Asus ROG board thermal pad with an "Advancing Gene Nano Silicone Thermal Pad for M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Heatsinks, 70x20x1mm (2PCS Pack)" and saw much better cooling performance with the latter thermal pad.

Back
Top Bottom