Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Yes because oat milk is so much cheaper. Oh wait...

Ok I got that wrong, I should have said, if you avoid animal products you'll save yourself some money seeing as they seem to be rising at the highest rates.

Almond/soy milk is around £1.25 -1.50, Plus cows milk is only cheap because of our tax subsidizes, so youre paying for it twice, might be a bit difficult to work out the "true" cost of milk mind.

Oh yeah, I get that.

Me and him have had a few back and forth exchanges, usually because he spouts crap that is incorrect and is unable to back it up once challenged, over and above posting some random "facts" and anecdotal stories from militant vegan websites.... Who, of course, dont have an agenda :rolleyes:

lol, please refresh my memory on what I posted that was "incorrect". (not inc the above obvs)

I wonder what the agenda is exactly, causing less animal suffering? that's some crazy "militant" agenda xD

Last edited:
lol, please refresh my memory on what I posted that was "incorrect". (not inc the above obvs)

I'm not playing that game.... Refresh your own memory as most of it is in the thread you created about veganism.

I wonder what the agenda is exactly, causing less animal suffering? that's some crazy "militant" agenda xD.

The very fact that militant vegans haven't understood that, if everyone switched to Veganism, there would not be enough suitable land to produce enough food means they have put no thought into it other than the "must not eat animals" blinkered view

Plus cows milk is only cheap because of our tax subsidizes, so youre paying for it twice, might be a bit difficult to work out the "true" cost of milk mind

Are you suggesting arable farmers don't get subsidies? (oats used in oat milk for example)

Edit - for clarity, I have nothing against vegans as a whole but I do take exception to the militant ones who push their view on others and will not accept others opinion unless it matches theirs.

You know, like @Johno please? does at times.

Last edited:
I'm not playing that game.... Refresh your own memory as most of it is in the thread you created about veganism.

The very fact that militant vegans haven't understood that, if everyone switched to Veganism, there would not be enough suitable land to produce enough food means they have put no thought into it other than the "must not eat animals" blinkered view

Are you suggesting arable farmers don't get subsidies? (oats used in oat milk for example)

Edit - for clarity, I have nothing against vegans as a whole but I do take exception to the militant ones who push their view on others and will not accept others opinion unless it matches theirs.

You know, like @Johno please? does at times.

We have enough land, except we currently use it to the feed the 80 billion land animals we raise and kill every year...

I'm more than happy for people who grow grains to get subsidies if it stops cows being abused and killed.

Last edited:
We have enough land, except we currently use it to the feed the 80 billion land animals we raise and kill every year...

I'm more than happy for people who grow grains to get subsidies if it stops cows being abused and killed.
We humans need meat, there was report published over the weekend, suggesting meat was important for our growth. just stay away from mincemeat , processed meat and industrial pork and you should be fine.

Last edited:
We humans need meat, there was report published over the weekend, suggesting meat was important for our growth. just stay away from mincemeat , processed meat and industrial pork and you should be fine.

Don't want to derail the thread anymore really, but no we don't need meat at all. You have a world of information at your fingertips but you couldnt just check this yourself before posting :confused:

Has anyone changed their Lottery or Scratch card habits?

I have cut down a bit on the lotto by a couple of quid. Never buy scratch cards.

Oatly better for the environment but not you - so need to take care on these ultra processed foodstuffs, vegan alternatives.
Oatly’s main ingredient is their oat base, which they make through a process of breaking down raw oats into their loose fibers to mix them with water and create a watery oat-based liquid that “contains macronutrients from the oats, in other words, protein, fat, and carbohydrates.” (source).

The problem with this process is that it creates quite a bit of a sugar called maltose, which is why Oatly packaging shows 7g added sugar per serving. Of all the different kinds of sugars you can eat, maltose has the highest glycemic index, with a rating of 105 out of 100. For comparison, table sugar has a rating of 65, and the high-fructose corn syrup you get in a Coca-Cola has a GI around 65-75. There’s less of it, but the sugar in Oatly has a higher gram-for-gram impact on your blood sugar than the HFCS in Coca-Cola.

Putting 12oz of Oatly into your latte and adjusting for the higher GI of maltose means adding almost a tablespoon of table sugar to your drink. Put a tablespoon of sugar next to your coffee next time you have a chance and seriously consider if that’s a decision that’s “made for humans.”
Oatly compares their sugar to the sugar in cow’s milk, but they’re not the same sugar. Lactose, the sugar in cow’s milk, has a GI of 46. Since the GI is a measure of how much of a negative response your body has to certain sugars, the 7g of sugar in Oatly with its 100+ GI is actually potentially worse than the 12g of sugar in whole milk with a 46 GI. We can use something called the “glycemic load” to measure this, which gives us a GL for the sugar in 8oz of Oatly of 7.35, and a GL for the sugar in 8oz of whole milk of 5.52. Oatly’s glycemic load is about 33% higher than milk’s is!

Oatly has employed some clever marketing to hide the fact that you’re spiking your blood sugar every time you add it to your coffee. And considering the extensive health concerns associated with adding unnecessary sugar to your diet, it’s hard to argue their main ingredient is healthy or made for humans.

Oatly better for the environment but not you - so need to take care on these ultra processed foodstuffs, vegan alternatives.
Definitely not going back to cow juice but worth knowing, I think some make their own on here
Just bought some Lidl barrista oat milk will check out the label, only have it in coffee though but a lot of non vegans do now just for the better taste

Then some people are eating two of these things. Not just solely on one item, multiple items. Wonder if obesity has increased in the line of shrinkflation.

It's the worst thing they can do, as well, because value for money decreases as the portion decreases in size. The overheads become the main thing you are paying for.
I think the most ridiculous one I have seen to date is Coleman's, who's pots have reduced to minuscule - 150g.

It's worth pointing out these are back of the envelope maths

I doesn't take into account the vast amounts of grazing land is used for grazing because it unsuitable for crops, so where would the new land needed for crops come from in order to hit demand? It won't be grazing land that's not always suitable.

It doesn't consider land for crops is significantly more environmentally harmful to the ecosystem than grazing land. There is significantly more flora and fauna in land used by cattle than by crop. Biodiversity has an overwhelming advantage in grazing fields.

It also blissfully ignores the slaughter innocent insects and wildlife to create crop land, mass deforestation, vegans love their avocados which is one of the more environmentally harmful food items in our stores more so than many farm animals.

Everything isn't as black and white as your campaign groups like to make out, as always a balanced approach is needed.

Back
Top Bottom