Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

My civil partner Jonathan and I have been signed off work with anxiety since furlough and have not been able to return to work due to weight gain. We are both vegan, we eat healthy and we're both at it like rabbits so we get plenty of exercise, we just can't seem to get out of bed in the morning. I think we might have depression as well. But thankfully we don't have to worry about bills as we're both on benefits so thank you to the taxpayers. Jonathan and I appreciate it.

Richard Pratley

I have to post this here. One of the best benefit songs going.

My rent, gas, electric etc. is £900-£950 a month in a 3 bed shared between 3 people (that's £750 for one with a smaller room and 900-950 for the other two). It's ex-council, so nothng special. Decent location and nothing wrong with it.

Were I on min wage take home would be £1385 for full time. Add in £25 for phone, £90 for bus travel and you're at £1065 for basics.

Leaves £320 a month for food, entertainment, travel, clothing and so on. Tenner a day.

It really is a slave wage for a lot of people.
That does not sound like a slave wage to me.

My rent, gas, electric etc. is £900-£950 a month in a 3 bed shared between 3 people (that's £750 for one with a smaller room and 900-950 for the other two). It's ex-council, so nothng special. Decent location and nothing wrong with it.

Were I on min wage take home would be £1385 for full time. Add in £25 for phone, £90 for bus travel and you're at £1065 for basics.

Leaves £320 a month for food, entertainment, travel, clothing and so on. Tenner a day.

It really is a slave wage for a lot of people.

Where is this? I think you mentioned before.

Really, if you are on minimum wage you would get much more benefit living somewhere cheaper. Before someone jumps in and says you shouldn't have to. Doesn't matter. It is the way it is. Personally I'd move.

Where is this? I think you mentioned before.

Really, if you are on minimum wage you would get much more benefit living somewhere cheaper. Before someone jumps in and says you shouldn't have to. Doesn't matter. It is the way it is. Personally I'd move.

Problem, rent far to high for average wage.
The whole system favours landowners, they should have never allowed international investors to own residential property. The biggest problem now is financial companies are buying up entire new build buildings, then renting them out.

The government seems to be pushing out mum and dad landlords , so that these massive financial companies such as asset management companies to take over, scoop up properties.

RIP V will be able to tell the children we used to have 250g packs of butter until BorisBre*** - now 200g ... eggs next ?
do use quite a lot of the easily spreadable watered down variety on toast

300x300.jpg

didn't realise sugar was increasing - energy costs for sugar beet/cane processing ?

Here are the ten food items that have risen the most over the last month: Mar23 YoY

1. Olive Oil: 49.2%
  2. Sugar: 42.1%
  3. Low-fat milk: 38.8%
  4. Whole milk: 37.9%
  5. Pasta products and couscous: 36.8%
  6. Margarine and other vegetable fats: 33.9%
  7. Sauces, condiments and spices: 33.7%
  8. Cheese and curd: 33.6%
  9. Eggs: 32%
  10. Frozen vegetables other than potatoes and other tubers: 30.2%

Changed from ee to smarty Since 14% price rise made it worth it. Ee phone me up, offer similar terms (but in contact instead of monthly). I my said Im uninterested due to your in contact price rises, he tried to tell me its a government rule and they have to do it,so smarty will do it too. Even though smarty specifically advertise that they don't.

Either someone needs training, or they need to stop lying. I vote it's incompetence, And because its based on the "government inflation rate of cpi" +3.9% he somehow thinks they have to do it, as everyone does, and has no idea is something companies snuck in a while back.

Changed from ee to smarty Since 14% price rise made it worth it. Ee phone me up, offer similar terms (but in contact instead of monthly). I my said Im uninterested due to your in contact price rises, he tried to tell me its a government rule and they have to do it,so smarty will do it too. Even though smarty specifically advertise that they don't.

Either someone needs training, or they need to stop lying. I vote it's incompetence, And because its based on the "government inflation rate of cpi" +3.9% he somehow thinks they have to do it, as everyone does, and has no idea is something companies snuck in a while back.

Usually stuff like that gets handed down from upper management to floor management with some half-truths and hints as to the direction they want pushed, which gets laid on thick at the "daily" (which rarely happen daily) briefing of regular staff which then turns into staff trotting it out as if fact with a line of deniability if they ever get taken up on it :s

Trains, used to be you could buy a monthly season ticket and use it to take the train for a month; these days you're lucky if a monthly season ticket will get you 2 whole weeks!
I used to pay 6 pence for train from Bordsley Green to New Street - Not been on a train for about 40 yrs now. Are they still steam

Since pandemic- Lidl loo rolls have gone up from £3.99 for 24 to £13.99 - Had to cut back on sheets from 3 to 2 and use a gentle touch :eek:

Don't know if this has already been posted on the forum, understandably it caused a backlash in the second link.

Got to love the rich telling the poor that they need to accept they are going to be permanently poorer. Such a depressing time we live in economically for the past 10 years. Massive wage stagnation for the middle class, skyrocketing house prices, now higher interest rates to foolishly combat high food and energy prices.

In that respect interesting that monoplies commission rejected the Microsoft Activision purchase it's the only way, for UK, to hang onto things, till death us do part, like ARM, too.

sugar
Sugar prices are set to rise significantly in the next few months as extreme weather affects producers across the globe. An outlook of raw sugar futures shows the price has jumped to highs of 25 cents a pound to hit their highest level in 11 years. Prices are more than 35% up year-to-date and over 33% in the past year.

Amid the sharp increase of the price of the commodity are concerns that the costs of related food and beverage items will also spike. Among the costs to be passed to consumers are likely to be on bread, candy, confectionary, and soda.
25% of children born today will be obese by age of 10 ... so perhaps price is of hidden benefit

Got to love the rich telling the poor that they need to accept they are going to be permanently poorer. Such a depressing time we live in economically for the past 10 years. Massive wage stagnation for the middle class, skyrocketing house prices, now higher interest rates to foolishly combat high food and energy prices.
It's not like we have been in a particularly good place to start with. It's been austerity Britain since 2010.

Sadly there is a point to what they are saying though - theses demands and attempts at trying to equalise things will actually result in the worst off being hit even harder over the longer run, although that doesn't excuse the fact that is due to the way things are being run with the ever concentration of wealth away from the bulk of the population.

Back
Top Bottom