Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Drink bottles are increasingly unusual shapes, supposedly to make them look interesting, but in reality to hide their reducing volume.

I've stopped buying quite a few products now because I don't want to be taken for a mug.

Last edited:
It's been going on for decades. Walkers crisps. Toblerone.

About 5 years ago, I noticed the standard 34.5g pack of Walkers sneakily got reduced to 32.5g without prior warning. I had to check the back of the packet as a pack didn't seem to last as long as before and my instinct was right.

Sometimes, crisps packets are so full of air that it only has a few crisps in side it. Talk about taxing fresh air.

Utterly disgusted with the size of the Milky Way’s in a multipack recently. 2 bites and done.

Cadbury's Crème Eggs could be done in a few bites in earlier adulthood but now in just 2 bites still as an adult, so it's nothing to do with being a child. The Crème Eggs have definitely gotten smaller.

Wagon Wheels are also disgustingly smaller.

Alcopops also fall into the category of shrinkflation because they used to be around 5.5%, then they got nerfed to 5.0% then 4.0%. Some beers have been nerfed as well e.g. Guinness from 5.0% to 4.2%.

Things that I haven't noticed getting smaller or at least they have hidden the shrinkage pretty well:

- a full (12") tube of Pringles
- the standard 4-finger Kit Kat (the Chunky is smaller now though)
- beer brands that still use 500ml cans as opposed to the 440ml ones
- beer brands that have maintained the original %. Brewdog is good for this, and Elvis is back to 6.5%

The beer alcohol % drop has largely been driven by reducing the tax on it.

I think its 10p per 1% drop per 500ml.

That being said i've not really figured out the math's behind duty.

Henry westons cider is 8.4% i think, (its 8.2% but changes nothing)

Duty per litre = "Sparkling More than 5.5% but less than 8.5% 288.10 pence"

Right so if you search it you will find 6 bottles for £8, but lets pay full price instead, which apparently is £9.50, so £3.16 per litre after paying duty it leaves 14p per bottle which is to produce it, ship it, pay staff, etc?

There must be something i am missing.

Last edited:
a better question would be what hasn't been reduced in size - I can only think of one cos it says 'Still Original Size' on the front of the packet and that's Tunnocks Caramel Wafers!
Actually thinking about it packs of biscuits seem less affected than choc bars/sweets...Penguins seems the same size....Wagon Wheels are tiny now tho, hmm

I’m in two minds on shrinkflation. On one hand I hate getting ripped off, on the other hand we are a fat nation that’s needs to lose weight. So eating less food isn’t a bad thing.

On the other hand people would just eat more to make up for the lost product like 2 chocolate bars
That’s a fair point. Though cost makes it prohibitive.

Put less in mouth. Why do you need the products to control what you eat?
I agree with you people are responsible for their actions, in practise certain changes to products can really help or hinder people.

Regarding the point you made, For certain products to achieve that you would either need to save a uselessly small portion or throw the rest away. The former feels pointless and The latter being a hard mental barrier since it feels wasteful.

Drink bottles are increasingly unusual shapes, supposedly to make them look interesting, but in reality to hide their reducing volume.

I've stopped buying quite a few products now because I don't want to be taken for a mug.

I'd say drinks are one of the few things thay haven't shrunk in the last few years. Everything I buy fits the usual templates of 330ml, 500ml, 70cl, 1L or 2L.

Coke and Pepsi have introduced some 1.75L, but pretty much everything else still sits with the norms. Its actually surprising in a way, the 500ml bottles could be shrunk to 400ml without too much change in their packaging / size.

Back
Top Bottom