Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

but that contains neither? :confused:

===

Some ridiculous shrinkflation going on with cheese over the last couple of years.

Used to get Lake District cheddar from Morrisons. Over the past 2 years or so it's gone:

£5 for 1kg
£5 for 840g
£6 for 840g
Picked up a pack last week and noticed it's even smaller, now £6 for 700g

So from 50p/100g to 85.7p/100g

That's a 71.4% increase! I know everything has gone up, but surely production costs can't have increased that much?
Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and using the "rising costs" excuse.

===

Some ridiculous shrinkflation going on with cheese over the last couple of years.

Used to get Lake District cheddar from Morrisons. Over the past 2 years or so it's gone:

£5 for 1kg
£5 for 840g
£6 for 840g

That's a 71.4% increase! I know everything has gone up, but surely production costs can't have increased that much?
The price of milk has gone from around 40p per pint to 70p a pint (trade prices) in that time so it makes sense that cheese would have gone up by the same amount.

The question is if the price of milk collapsed back down to say 45p/50p a pint would we see that reflected at retail? Eventually it would work it's way down by I guarantee you the rocket and feather phenomenon will be full effect. Unlikely that will happen, war, draught and staff shortages are not things the government can solve overnight.

Last edited:
The price of milk has gone from around 40p per pint to 70p a pint (trade prices) in that time so it makes sense that cheese would have gone up by the same amount.
really ? wholelsale milk+butter+cheese dropped back from May22 peaks and is now climbing again, but we are still stuck near peaks in supermarket ... and no return of 250g packs of Lurpak

Butter prices now dropping , so stockpiling is out, and maybe , all companies will not resize.
(semi-whole milk powder)

UK%20wholesale%20prices%20graph%20240223.JPG

olive oil on the other hand , heatwaves + global warming

really ? wholelsale milk+butter+cheese dropped back from May22 peaks and is now climbing again, but we are still stuck near peaks in supermarket ... and no return of 250g packs of Lurpak

Looking at that chart it shows the price of butter being almost 2/3rd's higher then Feb-21. You add-in the increase in labour costs from staff shortages, and price of transportation it makes sense.

Looking at that chart it shows the price of butter being almost 2/3rd's higher then Feb-21.
his point of reference was 2 years ago for cheese price ..
the shop price, if the supmkt was passing wholesale on should be similar to 2 years ago - but, that man in the middle has upped his cut.

I need a nearby costco I clocked that they are selling butter/lurpak at roll back prices of 1.50/250g

we had our new B&M open replacing Wilko - the place is a hole configured like a maze where you have to walk past a load of confectionary and high margin easter eggs before you can find anything you might want to buy;
Keir what are YOU doing about obesity ... let's fix the problem pro-actively before it presents itself at the NHS door.

I wonder how small will things get before people just say no, not having it.

For me it's starting to have a strange impact. My food purchases have reduced in cost quite noticeably. A takeaway from once a fortnight is now down to practically none. A supermarket shop can be down to £20 some weeks. Whilst i miss some stuff, i'm just too noticeable of my spending now, and it's not like i can't afford the odd expensive treat. I'm thinking about delaying buying another car another year, ~£5k just because i cba with accepting terrible pricing.

===

£5 for 1kg
£5 for 840g
£6 for 840g

It’s a complete joke, food bills have gone up at least 50% right across the board. It’s only a 20p here or 30p there but it really adds up. We’re spending twice as much on food now, so we aren’t stocking up on ***** that we don’t need. I guess that means less profit for them so prices will increase further.

I’m getting to the stage where i’m just flat out refusing to buy junk food anymore. A packet of revels for almost £3, I use to get a packet a week roughly and eat them at the cinema. Not paying that for a packet now. Same with Doritos, they aren’t worth £2.50. They use to ALWAYS be £1.

It’s a complete joke, food bills have gone up at least 50% right across the board. It’s only a 20p here or 30p there but it really adds up. We’re spending twice as much on food now, so we aren’t stocking up on ***** that we don’t need. I guess that means less profit for them so prices will increase further.

I’m getting to the stage where i’m just flat out refusing to buy junk food anymore. A packet of revels for almost £3, I use to get a packet a week roughly and eat them at the cinema. Not paying that for a packet now. Same with Doritos, they aren’t worth £2.50. They use to ALWAYS be £1.

I buy a lot less "extras" too. Anything I don't actually need or use is gone. The TV licence was one of the first things I ditched, don't miss it. Virgin media ditched for far cheaper competitor.

We need to create a situation where the public are squeezing corporations, not the other way round. Too many people suck it up and just don't bother hunting for better deals, or let things go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom