Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Morrisons has said it will be able to reduce grocery prices by raising the temperature of its freezers.

The supermarket chain will increase its frozen food temperatures from -18°C to -15°C in 10 stores as part of a trial to meet its net-zero goal by 2035.

will need to cycle/drive home faster from Morrisons - ice cream and frozen peas being staples,
global warming isn't helping either, 0°C come 2035.

will need to cycle/drive home faster from Morrisons - ice cream and frozen peas being staples,

Stealth profit increase, smart!
I thought there'd be some regulation around this, unless the max allowed is -15?

God knows why, but we recently popped into a Burger King - had a couple of bacon double cheeseburgers (standard size) and my god, they've shrunk them by about 30-40% from a few years ago! Guessing their "XL" ones will just be the old standard size, but we won't be popping back to find out

Stopped going there good few years ago to save money prior to CV. Tenner for a solid quick fix (XL dbl) when needed whilst often being enjoyable was worth it on occassion, these days just no point as you've mentioned. Whilst i shouldn't eat gluten i would still go if ultimately required on a motoway journey etc. Now a bag of peanuts is the emergency fix, shame really. I'd have preferred increase price vs shrinkflation, like what the chippies have done. But even now, home made chips and frozen gluten free pizza treat wins out.

Last edited:

not new for alcohol lol
I rather drink a fermented bottle of drivers' tizer - wee from a van/lorry driver done directly into a bottle then tossed out of van/lorry cab. A fantastic example here https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10227301383510467&set=pcb.1222632338537229 from my Wombles group page

Than the waste of time Carling.I call it Carling ***** Label in the tune to the old ads

Buying packs of tiny ice cream tubs, 4 to a pack, haagen dazs. Deffo bad value per gram so fits in with shrinkflation, however I have always hated trying to scoop out frozen ice cream from a tub, so I have taken the hit on this one for convenience.

Last edited:
Buying packs of tiny ice cream tubs, 4 to a pack, haagen dazs. Deffo bad value per gram so fits in with shrinkflation, however I have always hated trying to scoop out frozen ice cream from a tub, so I have taken the hit on this one for convenience.
You could... just wait for it to melt a bit?

Just had a gander at the ice cream prices. I never was an ice cream person. It's mad how a note, a fiver, isn't even enough to buy one of those fancy tubs now.

Cereal is a pretty special one too. Some of those special ones which aren't marketed as a treat almost reach a fiver for a poxy box.

Sainsburys upped their oat prices last week.

If Morrisons sorted out their RDC's quicker they would maybe actually make some money.

I deliver to Tesco, Sainsburys, Lidl, Aldi, and Morrisons. Morrisons are by far the most diabolical and still in the stone age. Whether it be in Sittingbourne or Stockton. They are all ran the same. I can be in and out of a Tesco RDC in 45 minutes but sometimes up to 4 hours in a Morrisons! They recently closed the one in Bradford because it was that bad!

IIRC Morrisons is owned by private equity now anyway so will be Bankrupt in a decade or two.

Interesting comment. Why do you think this?
The moment I sniff private equity in a business as a consumer I've already consigned it to the grave. Though to be fair I think Morrisons may just about subsist, but there's only so much space for competition so I'm still not sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom