Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

It’s a complete joke, food bills have gone up at least 50% right across the board. It’s only a 20p here or 30p there but it really adds up. We’re spending twice as much on food now, so we aren’t stocking up on ***** that we don’t need. I guess that means less profit for them so prices will increase further.

I’m getting to the stage where i’m just flat out refusing to buy junk food anymore. A packet of revels for almost £3, I use to get a packet a week roughly and eat them at the cinema. Not paying that for a packet now. Same with Doritos, they aren’t worth £2.50. They use to ALWAYS be £1.
I only ever buy Doritos when they’re on clubcard. Last pack was £1.50

It’s a complete joke, food bills have gone up at least 50% right across the board. It’s only a 20p here or 30p there but it really adds up. We’re spending twice as much on food now, so we aren’t stocking up on ***** that we don’t need. I guess that means less profit for them so prices will increase further.

I’m getting to the stage where i’m just flat out refusing to buy junk food anymore. A packet of revels for almost £3, I use to get a packet a week roughly and eat them at the cinema. Not paying that for a packet now. Same with Doritos, they aren’t worth £2.50. They use to ALWAYS be £1.

Agreed, I haven't bought Doritos or Pringles in probably over a year now, they used to always be "on offer" for £1-1.25, but like you say, they're now £2-2.50, literally double the price.

no one posted up how the hospitality industry has joined the gang

• 137 test purchases yielded 96 short measures, meaning approximately 70% of the test purchases were short measured.
  • Out of the short measures, 41 were at a deficit of 5% or over — 29% of all the 137 drinks tested.
  • When broken down between beer and wine, it was noted that 86% of beer was short measured while 43% of wine was found to be short measured.
  • The average deficit for short-measured beer found in the survey was 4%, while for wine it was 5%. For the average beer drinker, this equates to a loss of £1.70 per week, or £88.40 per year, and for an average wine drinker in the UK this jumps to £2.20 per week and £114.40 per year.
  • The largest short measure was a deficit of 15%, found on a 175ml glass of wine in Walsall, with the drink costing £3.20.

maybe need to carry some personal scales, or your own graduated glass (like alan partridge ?) to verify your drinks

maybe need to carry some personal scales, or your own graduated glass (like alan partridge ?) to verify your drinks
CAMRA pushing for every pint to be served warm and looking like pond water what a surprise ;)

4% on average? That just sounds like there's a little bit of a head on it, it's 22ml. Just make the glasses a fraction larger to account for it, I very much doubt it's done intentionally.

Seen a recent restaurant review where a side serving of chips which cost £6.50 were served in something resembling the size of a tea cup.

Those futuristic movies showing tiny portions were on to something.

Last edited:
It’s a complete joke, food bills have gone up at least 50% right across the board. It’s only a 20p here or 30p there but it really adds up
all aboard the maximum profiteering bandwagon choooo choooo. the time for min maxing is NAOW!!!!! MAXIMUM PRICE MINIMUM SIZE!!!!!!!!!!

Yuo walk in a supermarket and you see like a thousand brands, they are all owned by the same 4-5 parent companies..... that own everything.

capitalism went wrong and no one stopped it.

No single company should ever have gained more power than governments and the people, sold out by traitor politiciains looking for jobs due to services owed once their career in politics comes crashing down.
Capitalism just regulates it self, keeps prices lows and businesses competitive..

Capitalism it just works 100% of the time, every time to benefit the few.

ONE DAY IT COULD BE YOU!!!! it's almost like the national lottery

just consume to take part

Last edited:
all aboard the maximum profiteering bandwagon choooo choooo. the time for min maxing is NAOW!!!!! MAXIMUM PRICE MINIMUM SIZE!!!!!!!!!!

Yuo walk in a supermarket and you see like a thousand brands, they are all owned by the same 4-5 parent companies..... that own everything.

capitalism went wrong and no one stopped it.

No single company should ever have gained more power than governments and the people, sold out by traitor politiciains looking for jobs due to services owed once their career in politics comes crashing down.
Capitalism just regulates it self, keeps prices lows and businesses competitive..

Capitalism it just works 100% of the time, every time to benefit the few.

ONE DAY IT COULD BE YOU!!!! it's almost like the national lottery

just consume to take part

The company I worked for in my second to last placement before I left was at a bakery that made things like eclairs, egg custard tarts, trifles etc.

We used to have meetings every day and goals of getting the expensive parts down to the bare minimum weight whilst topping up weight to the maximum of the cheaper ingredients whilst still keeping legal within the recipe.

At one point we managed to save over 200k on a certain type of cream. All together over a million easy. I got a 1k bonus that year for my troubles! The rest most likely went into someone else's pockets.

I know it sounds weird but taking weighing scales to the supermarket is no bad thing. Sometimes stuff can fluctuate by quite some degree. Especially potted stuff. Some of the 600g trifles could easily be a 50g swing but all within legal guidelines.

Saying that I wouldn't touch processed food with a barge pole after what I have witnessed over the years!

Last edited:
Saying that I wouldn't touch processed food with a barge pole after what I have witnessed over the years!

Most experiences wouldn't surprise those who have worked in or around such places, but i do enjoy (for curiosity sake) what others say about such places. Yet many people do say they know or don't care and go nom nom nom still. I don't know what's more alarming really.

Are milk is going up to about £2 per Ltr next month it be the second price rise already this year :(

Blimey, that's expensive!

Currently paying £1.35 for 2 litres from Iceland, and I get 10% knocked off for being an old git, so around 61p per litre.

Blimey, that's expensive!

Currently paying £1.35 for 2 litres from Iceland, and I get 10% knocked off for being an old git, so around 61p per litre.

The worst thing is are local shops & supermarkets are not allowed to import cheaper milk as it would hit are local dairy & farmers sales

The same for are internet (am paying £65pm to get 43mb download speeds )

Last edited:
Tesco used to sell "Cod Bites", with 10 bites per pack for £2.50. They vanished for about 4-6 months and now they're back in new "eco-packaging" at the same £2.50 but you only get 8 bites in the pack now. Its all these little changes that feel "sneaky" that I don't like, rather than being open i.e remove a product for a while so people forget then bring it back in a smaller quantity - It's almost like gaslighting the customer when they do that.

This is the part that annoys me the most about how stupid our economy/capitalism has become.

So much stuff is just clearly all exactly the same stuff, made in the same factory, and then just rebranded and sold at whatever random price the seller thinks they can get away with. Or even as you point out, all just the same stuff, rebranded, but owned by the same umbrella corporation anyway..

We've created so much superfluous ****, it's crazy.

This is the part that annoys me the most about how stupid our economy/capitalism has become.
capitalism is massively flawed, it doesn't cause competition and it is absolutely the worst model for consumbers.

but no one will say it, the governments are all in the pockets of the elite who own everything.

choice is an illusion.... the money all trickles up and stays up in the same few pockets.

trickle down economics is when they get robbed

Last edited:
Are milk is going up to about £2 per Ltr next month it be the second price rise already this year :(

They are totally milking you for that!

But aren't farmers massively under paid for milk?
Unbranded soya milk has gone up a bit. But nowhere near what alpro has gone up by!

Back
Top Bottom