Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Went to Tesco today, went to go get Olive Oil, Tesco own brand, 1ltr bottle....

...........£8.40.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

No more Olive Oil for me
Olive oil prices are berserk here, they've almost doubled in the last year. I bought a bottle in Trieste a couple of months ago, and when that's run out a replacement here will be in the region of 16 Euros.

Olive yields are subject to weather conditions during the growing season.

IIRC the harvest last year and the year before was dire thanks to heat waves, drought and bush/forrest fires. Climate change init.

IIRC, nearly all engine oil these days is synthetic.

Edit: domestic rapeseed is subject to similar issues in the U.K. It keeps getting devastated by pest insects and weather. You can’t use the good insecticides anymore because it also demolishes the domestic bee and other beneficial insect populations.

Last edited:
yea grocery shopping is now getting ridiculous, every week the mrs says this has gone up and that has gone up, and its a lot more than inflation.
Morrisons suddenly levelled up their more card system in August, it now is giving fairly big discounts and generous kick back. But at same time they started charging for bags again for delivery pass customers (sneaked it in with no notification), give with one hand and take with the other, and the trick I suppose is to make the taking hand bigger. Would love for keepa to work on supermarket web sites, so can see pricing history of products.

As an example I have seen this for a product.

Price in July £1 for 120g
Price in August for new released replacement product £1 for 180g, marketed as half price sale so standard price £2. The price for the original SKU raised to £2,50.
September, original SKU stays at £2.50 and the new SKU is now £2, so it still looks better value than the old SKU.
October, old SKU is gone and new SKU is now the standard SKU still £2, but dropped to £1.50 for more card customers. Per gram for more card customers this isnt bad compared to old SKU, but the price is now higher, so down to the old "make people buy more".

This Christmas there is no turkey products suitable for 1-2 people, looks like they have gone all in on making people buy more than they want/need.

Last edited:
Price in July £1 for 120g
Price in August for new released replacement product £1 for 180g, marketed as half price sale so standard price £2. The price for the original SKU raised to £2,50.
September, original SKU stays at £2.50 and the new SKU is now £2, so it still looks better value than the old SKU.
October, old SKU is gone and new SKU is now the standard SKU still £2, but dropped to £1.50 for more card customers.

That's not that bad an example though? £1.50 for 180g = same as £1 for 120g?

Sucks as a consumer if you don't need 180g of whatever it is, but as a supplier then it makes sense from a packaging point of view, reducing costs and environmental impact without having to pass that on to the customer.
(Although for customers paying the full £2 then it is obviously a price increase)

That's not that bad an example though? £1.50 for 180g = same as £1 for 120g?

Sucks as a consumer if you don't need 180g of whatever it is, but as a supplier then it makes sense from a packaging point of view, reducing costs and environmental impact without having to pass that on to the customer.
(Although for customers paying the full £2 then it is obviously a price increase)
Yeah, but I was also commenting on how the more card discount system might be misleading, as I suspect games are been played to raise products standard pricing higher so the more card card looks better. I also expect is probably a fair few people shopping without a more card as before August it did almost nothing.

Back
Top Bottom