Could something be wrong temps high when overclocking

Soldato
I was wondering if something could be wrong, im watercooling with a custom loop, but my temps are 32c-42c on stock clock

when i overclock by only 200mhz temps go upto 58c

Associate
Gonna need more details: what CPU, what voltage, what's in your loop (particularly rads).

From what little you've provided us with, I'd say there is definitely something wrong.

Soldato
OP
parts in my sig, 1.38v
watercooling parts, black ice tri rad, ek 4.0 pump, ek supreme waterblock first gen, phobiya balancer

Soldato
If you are hitting 58 with something like Prime95 with your fans not on max, then id say that's quite high compared to other loops but cant say for sure whether something is wrong, as i have never used your block before and as i understand it, its one of EKs first entry level blocks, so that may be whats letting the loop down.

The radiator and pump are up to the task for sure, what fans are you using?

Are these load temps in game or stability testing?

Is your voltage on manual or auto, 1.38v is a bit high for just +200MHz, most should be capable hitting that with 1.35V.

Soldato
OP
could the thermal paste be a issue too much or too little?
also im using CPUID HWMonitor to check the temps

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
20140425.jpg

Soldato
OP
i've removed and re applied the thermal paste. still hitting 50c running prime95 on stock clock

Associate
Take the auto voltage off and set it manually. It also looks like you're using the block inlet as an outlet and the outlet as an inlet.

Neither of these really explain the high temps, though it wont hurt to fix them.

Soldato
OP
Take the auto voltage off and set it manually. It also looks like you're using the block inlet as an outlet and the outlet as an inlet.

Neither of these really explain the high temps, though it wont hurt to fix them.

ok what should i set the voltage too ?
also does it matter, the block inlet as an outlet and the outlet as an inlet. or would it be west if i correct this ?

I dont really want to risk a leak changing them around

Soldato
OP
Ok, i had to take it all apart too fix the fitting issue but now switched them around, ive also added new thermal paste again, flushed and re filled it. but im still hitting 50c

Soldato
OP
the only thing thats should be on the inside is the small metal plate, I did check the block before fitting, the only think i can see that could be the issue is the plate moving.

Soldato
I think normally most 8320s are at the 1.35 mark at stock with turbo. I would say 50 degrees on prime95 is perfectly normal on your set up and voltage, with the block being the one that's holding you back.

If you replaced it with a supremacy or a 380i, you would probably see a handful of degrees off your set up but its not worth the upgrade if you dont plan on using the extra performance to overclock.

Prime95 is only really useful to see number crunch temps, if the set up is for gaming, i wouldn't use it to check your overclock temps and stability.

Soldato
I may be remembering the jet setup on the old EK blocks wrong, but is the loop not going through the block backwards? will be losing some performance and flow there.

*Edit*

Yeah, double checked it, the centre port is the one over the jet plate, the offset one is the outlet so it's plumbed in backwards. Get that fixed and you should see a bit of an improvement, the EK Supreme is still a pretty decent block (better than a brand new LTX) as it was made after block evolution plateaued, newer blocks look nicer but performance gains are minimal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah Shawy spotted the inlet and outlet and OP has fixed that.

TBH i dont think 50 degrees on prime with voltage on auto and a +200Mhz clock with turbo on is not that bad. I don't think there actually is a problem.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Guys,
I've re done everything now, check the block, sorted the fittings, set everything as default in bios, emptied and refilled the loop, added new thermal paste.

running CPUID HWMonitor to check temps im getting starting temp of 32c
Ive now re run prime95 and getting a temp of 45c better then before but im assuming it should be better.
20140507_220022.jpg

Back
Top Bottom