• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could use some expert help with a bricked GTX 680

Soldato
Just to go back to the £70 for a laptop repair for a minute. That would be 2 hours work (couldn't guarantee to get it dome in an hour so that's 2 hours work) so its only £35 an hour without the price of parts, not bad at all for a skilled job. You certainly would be paying about the same for a plumber call out or electrician.

Yup, also I've done a couple and some are a right bitch even when you know what your doing, and you can not charge too much or people won't have it done.

Permabanned
£70 for 2 hours work is a disgrace who thinks that's good is mad!

You can buy half decent laptops for £150-200 Sony ones are only £300-400!

4 hours work and you can get a basic laptop!

Soldato

You ALWAYS pay a premium for a professional service, £35p/h isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things, the company I work for charge in excess of £175p/h + testing charges despite only paying me a fraction of that :p

Besides, asking an electrician to do a job in any shape or form is never going to be cheap, I've seen guys charging a heck of a lot more than £35p/h.

Good luck OP :D

Soldato

No its not for a computer engineer, doing power sockets is a pain in the back side!! Some are deep you have to remove layers of stuff just to get to them and dont mention the screws!!! :eek:

I hate doing them and now just refuse to do them, takes too much time and is very fiddly, £70 is resonable for that specific job IMO.

On topic as for your GTX get it done by a professional. ;)

Caporegime
Yeah, £35 per-hour is not bad at all, some will charge you £50 just to take the side off your case to poke around inside and then go; hhmmmm...ooohhhh....aahhhh....££££££££

One saves a lot of money being a Hardware enthusiast, as well as it costing a lot of money :D

Last edited:
Caporegime

I don't care if it took them two minutes to do. They told me it would be £70 on the phone and I was happy to pay that (for the record, it was my £1500 gaming laptop).

bru

bru

Soldato
You can buy half decent laptops for £150-200 4 hours work and you can get a basic laptop!

Erm point 1, no you cannot get a half decent laptop for £150 - £200.

cheapest laptop on this site

YOUR BASKET
1 x Sony VPCYB3V1E 11.6" LED TFT, AMD E-450 1.65 Dual Core, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6320 Graphics, Win7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Silver - OPEN BOX £289.99
Total : £300.79 (includes shipping : £9.00).

Point 2

If 4 hours can buy you a basic laptop, how is it that I cant find even a netbook online anywhere for this mystical £140.

Permabanned
Well i got a brand new laptop for £200 before so where the hell do you live?

Kent? London nowonder, everything down south is much higher. I live in Newcastle and if you take them to you local PC shop they dont charge that much, Cyberpower is right beside me and they dont even charge that much!!

Cyberpower rip you off with everything they sell but repairs are cheap.

I maybe wrong with somethings but prices im not i always look around for the cheapest ;)

Also ive just typed in google laptops under £200 got loads of results so you never did a very good search did you?

And greg you obv have a decent job and you live Essex, £1500 for a laptop then £3000 for a pc? Im on £500 week and i cant afford none of that. Nice to be on £50k+ a year ;)

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
googled "laptops under £200"
First 3 pages are all refurbished.
Sorry I didn't realise you were including second hand stuff, if thats the case I'm sure I saw one for £20 in my local freeadds :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Still looking in wrong places then mate :\

Look harder.

Yes £70 to fix a £1500 is reasonable, but £70 to fix a graphics card worth £450 is a bit too much? Specially for just soldering!

Soldato

Look harder.

Yes £70 to fix a £1500 is reasonable, but £70 to fix a graphics card worth £450 is a bit too much? Specially for just soldering!

No it is not considering the repairman has a £400+ bill on his head if it goes wrong!!! :confused:

You dont get it !! when you get it repaired by a professional, its his head on the line not yours if anything goes wrong!! I am no professional but when I am fixing things it is my responsibility if anything goes wrong due to my repair!! :rolleyes:

£1500 laptop and £70 repair bargin the way i see it!!!
£400+ bad mistake £70 repair bargin!!!

or try yourself and put £400+ on the line ?? :rolleyes:
I know what i would go for !!! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato

Look harder.

The world revolves around haves and have nots. Do you make your own tooth brushes with pine cones? Or make shoes out of road kill? Both those products are sold on to you for more than the material and manufacturing actually costs. Ya know, profit?

Changing tires isn't that hard. I pay someone to do it for me because 1) I have no equipment i.e. trolley jack and 2) I really can't be bothered. Am I being ripped off by the prearranged fee?

Permabanned
Changing a tire is not at all the same you can't go wrong with that if you don't have a jack with your car then you are like i expected a person who can't do basic tasks and pays for everything so a fool or you have more money then brains. I see the point about fixing 400 pound item but i never said do it yourself i said find cheaper.

So you obv never read my post properly. 70 is nearly 20% that's way too much. For starters soldering 1 chip won't take 2 hours. 35 is 10% almost. Sounds much better.e

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well i got a brand new laptop for £200 before so where the hell do you live?

Kent? London nowonder, everything down south is much higher. I live in Newcastle and if you take them to you local PC shop they dont charge that much, Cyberpower is right beside me and they dont even charge that much!!

Cyberpower rip you off with everything they sell but repairs are cheap.

I maybe wrong with somethings but prices im not i always look around for the cheapest ;)

Also ive just typed in google laptops under £200 got loads of results so you never did a very good search did you?

And greg you obv have a decent job and you live Essex, £1500 for a laptop then £3000 for a pc? Im on £500 week and i cant afford none of that. Nice to be on £50k+ a year ;)

Again you bring how much money someone earns into the equation. It has nothing to do with how much I earn and what other things I have. I said I was happy to pay that and couldn't care less if it took two minutes or 20 hours. They quoted me the price and I agreed. If the laptop was worth £200, I still needed the laptop repaired and didn't have the skills or the wanting to do it myself.

Changing a tire is not at all the same you can't go wrong with that if you don't have a jack with your car then you are like i expected a person who can't do basic tasks and pays for everything so a fool or you have more money then brains. I see the point about fixing 400 pound item but i never said do it yourself i said find cheaper.

So you obv never read my post properly. 70 is nearly 20% that's way too much. For starters soldering 1 chip won't take 2 hours. 35 is 10% almost. Sounds much better.e

Changing a tyre on a car requires a little more than a jack. Have you ever driven a car and when it gets to 50 mph it starts to shake? That would be because of little lead weights that keep the wheel balanced. A garage has the tools to do these jobs and I wouldn't expect Joe Average to have them.

Back
Top Bottom