COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Commissario
i think the big mistake was to vaccinate everyone when only a small % of people were at risk, i'm personally not taking an MRNA vaccine for anything that i'm not at high risk of..
Vaccines really don't work unless you get everyone who can take them...
You see what happens when you don't in parts of the country and the US were the MMR nonsense took root, people ending up in hospital (or worse) for things that a couple of decades ago we thought were basically gone because of how well the vaccines worked.
in some ways vaccines worked too well, people forgot how dangerous a lot of the "normal childhood diseases" actually are because they'd not seen what happens without vaccination in their lifetime.

MRNA as a technology is safe (or as safe as many other medical interventions that people don't think twice about), IIRC the reaction people have to the covid vaccine is largely due to the protein that is used to train the immune system, and that protein is the same one you find on the virus, the difference being that if you have the vaccine you have a tiny controlled amount of that exposure and it's not relying on your immune system learning to respond to it at the same time the live virus is actively damaging your cells.
From memory other MRNA vaccines use slightly different methods.

Basically writing off an entire technology for medicine because one application has a potentially higher side effect rate than others is fairly silly.

i know quite a few....... in my team of maybe 10 people at least 3 have had covid in the last few months (independently of each other).

my wifes lab has had similar numbers of people getting covid,

last i heard (and it was a month ago so perhaps its on a downward trend now) but last i heard we were at quite high levels at the moment, but many people are no longer testing. Both mine and my wifes work still ask us to test if we feel under the weather and to WFH if we are positive but other places dont want to know, confounded by the fact that a lot of people do not want to pay for tests.
My sister, partner and daughter all had it a few weeks back.
They were feeling unwell and picked up some of the tests from me (left in a box by the door:p), as I think my father and I have finally trained her not to visit if she's unwell, after she visited whilst my niece was ill and her partner was ill at home. I think the shock of my father ending up hospital with the flu, and seeing how badly it affected us for the next few months shocked her.

Soldato
i know quite a few....... in my team of maybe 10 people at least 3 have had covid in the last few months (independently of each other).

my wifes lab has had similar numbers of people getting covid,

last i heard (and it was a month ago so perhaps its on a downward trend now) but last i heard we were at quite high levels at the moment, but many people are no longer testing. Both mine and my wifes work still ask us to test if we feel under the weather and to WFH if we are positive but other places dont want to know, confounded by the fact that a lot of people do not want to pay for tests.
I guess I don't know a lot of people, my piano teacher did mention today of some people she knows having covid when I was chatting to her about getting the vaccine and how my arm feels like somebody has smashed it with a log, 6 times and this is the only time it's really affected me as I'm feeling a bit under the weather too like when you have a cold

Soldato
my 1st jab i felt proper rough, like i had a hang over, 2nd jab not as bad and my 2 boosters were nothing

however it has been so long since my last jab (18 months) and 12 months to the day almost since having covid, i guess my natural immunity will be waned now so IF i was offered a booster again i suspect i may feel rough after it.

covid now appears to be a lottery, some just have some sniffles and a minor ache, some however still feel utterly rotten, so personally i will happily take a day of rough side effects if it stops me (or at least puts the odds in my favour of not) losing the wheel of fortune on how rough covid makes you.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to be critical of everyone in this context, too many people who can't put their own, often trivial, needs aside even in small ways and just act appropriately for the situation, but as a whole we also screwed up massively by not putting sufficient effort into understanding what we were dealing with and getting ahead of it rather than (over)reacting to just what we could see and no lessons have been learnt for the next time. Lockdowns could have been almost entirely avoided if more effort had been put into understanding the disease earlier and people taking some actual personal responsibility and being willing to make some often small compromises/modifications on a temporary basis.

A disease like this is almost always one step ahead of what we can see and it is important to understand and work with that.
Have you not met the human race? :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I'm in an Admin side of a hospital and I haven't heard of one person for months, obviously we have some very ill patients still with it.
I can't remember the last time I knew somebody out of work either.

Basically writing off an entire technology for medicine because one application has a potentially higher side effect rate than others is fairly silly.

They are now going to use it for some cancer treatments which is supposed to be an excellent way of doing it.
Of course as soon as the patient dies a year on we will get the TFH's saying it was the jab.

Man of Honour
I don't know anyone who has covid for well over a year

It is oddly sporadic now, maybe immunity levels generally are high enough to make population traversal difficult for it. Not many people testing either so some isolated "colds" may or may not be COVID.

We had it rear its head at work 2-3 months back but only one person was properly ill with it the rest of us just had minor symptoms, my brother picked it up nearly a month ago now on a business trip to Canada and was pretty sick with it and passed it on to everyone he came into contact with around the time he came out with symptoms, who also had all the classic symptoms/severity, but oddly no one else seems to have picked it up beyond that.

covid now appears to be a lottery, some just have some sniffles and a minor ache, some however still feel utterly rotten, so personally i will happily take a day of rough side effects if it stops me (or at least puts the odds in my favour of not) losing the wheel of fortune on how rough covid makes you.

Personally don't like the perception of COVID as symptomatically mild as being mild - I had some, fortunately minor and temporary, hearing loss with the very mild case of it I had 2-3 months back, didn't really realise at the time/put it down to sinuses/congestion until it fully came back ~2 months later, and I realised how much it had been impacted - I'm guessing mechanically it was similar to how people have lost sense of smell and/or taste with COVID and the potential for being more impactful or permanent damage.

Soldato

If only that was the case, I have reduced lung capacity with extensive scaring, permanent taste changes and chronic insomnia since I caught it back in March 2020, it has changed my quality of life for the worse.
Luckily my work have been epic and continue to support me so Im fortunate there.
In the interest of every cloud(s) having a silver lining, due to the long hours of no sleep, my steam backlog is a lot smaller than it used to be..

Soldato
If only that was the case, I have reduced lung capacity with extensive scaring, permanent taste changes and chronic insomnia since I caught it back in March 2020, it has changed my quality of life for the worse.
Luckily my work have been epic and continue to support me so Im fortunate there.
In the interest of every cloud(s) having a silver lining, due to the long hours of no sleep, my steam backlog is a lot smaller than it used to be..
that sucks...............
Those people claiming the vaccine doesnt help and lockdown was some sort of mass government / pharma scam should talk to people like yourself (no vaccine in march 2020 and if BJ the clown had let it rip and watched the bodies pile up like he apparently said, i think there would have been a lot more people like you).

i hope you eventually recover at least partially back to you were pre covid, tho over 4 years now, I guess you are not optimistic..

Last edited:
Soldato
that sucks...............
Those people claiming the vaccine doesnt help and lockdown was some sort of mass government / pharma scam should talk to people like yourself (no vaccine in march 2020 and if BJ the clown had let it rip and watched the bodies pile up like he apparently said, i think there would have been a lot more people like you).

i hope you eventually recover at least partially back to you were pre covid, tho over 4 years now, I guess you are not optimistic..
Thanks - I consider myself lucky, there were so many people that didn't pull through when they caught it.
If they can get a grip on the insomnia, then that would be a major win. Falling asleep is not the issue, staying asleep for longer than 90 mins is and they are a bit baffled to say the least.
As for the vaccine, I think the work the scientists did to design and produce one so quickly was nothing short of miraculous and as a country we should be really proud of that.
I know there are some dangerous side effects for a tiny percentage of users but that is an issue for all drugs.

Man of Honour
chronic insomnia

I struggled with sleep quality for about a year after the first time I had COVID - often getting into a vicious cycle of broken sleep, I dunno what underlying mechanics or damage might be involved and I don't think I've entirely sort it but when I had 2 weeks off work I made sure to get an hour of early morning sunlight (with light to moderate exercise) and keeping my vitamin D levels topped off with 75ug daily during that period and I've been mostly sleeping much better since.

Soldato
Soldato
I struggled with sleep quality for about a year after the first time I had COVID - often getting into a vicious cycle of broken sleep, I dunno what underlying mechanics or damage might be involved and I don't think I've entirely sort it but when I had 2 weeks off work I made sure to get an hour of early morning sunlight (with light to moderate exercise) and keeping my vitamin D levels topped off with 75ug daily during that period and I've been mostly sleeping much better since.
Long Vaccine.

Man of Honour
My strong hunch is you took something. As I said, if I'm wrong, I'll assume it's long vaccine until you correct me otherwise.

100% not vaccinated - they stopped doing AZ for my age group before my turn came and due to an allergy and insufficient information being available at the time they wouldn't give me the Pfizer one and none of the others were available at the time, then I had COVID anyhow.

Last edited:
Soldato
100% not vaccinated - they stopped doing AZ for my age group before my turn came and due to an allergy and insufficient information being available at the time they wouldn't give me the Pfizer one and none of the others were available at the time, then I had COVID anyhow.
Well I take back my comment and stand corrected. Hope you make a swift recovery.

Man of Honour
Hope you make a swift recovery.

Personally I'm overall in great health, but related to above I've lifelong hypersensitivity issue to certain things (especially artificial colourings and flavourings and egg proteins) and migraines which are triggered by environmental and food ingredient factors, so tend to be above average in noticing what is going on with my body and very aware the difference between the impact of COVID and what I'd experience with the likes of the common cold, etc. and don't believe that even with a mild case of COVID the underlying impact on the body is necessarily anything like mild.

Back
Top Bottom