COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
The Internet sure helped the spread of conspiracy theorists

To be honest I've got no doubt in my mind that there COULD BE some excess deaths for the simple reason all medication has different effects on different people.
I've been on so many different pills over the years, some causing me really bad problems but I seem to have stabilised now (touch wood), this would be no different with a vaccine.
What made me laugh is a vaccine was pulled because 3 people in 100,000 COULD get blood clots, makes no sense to me.
If somebody put an arsenic pill in a bowl of 33,333 placebos and you would win a million if you ate one and lived I take those odds.

Associate
Don't you understand that the virus mutated very fast because we let it spread like wildfire in the countries that had useless lying politicians like Trump and Johnson? That vaccine efficacy would have been against the original virus that was quickly superseded by new variants which were more immune system and vaccine evasive.
What has that got to do with her, a medical professional, telling millions of people that the vaccine was 100% effective? She said that on Jan 4th 2021, the original virus was still dominant well into May, by which time around 15 million people were fully vaccinated. How many had been influenced by her factually incorrect, misleading statement?

Man of Honour
What has that got to do with her, a medical professional, telling millions of people that the vaccine was 100% effective? She said that on Jan 4th 2021, the original virus was still dominant well into May, by which time around 15 million people were fully vaccinated. How many had been influenced by her factually incorrect, misleading statement?

She is a medical professional, not an expert in that field.
She should have been arrested and charged for that statement, absolutely NOBODY in that field would tell you anything is 100% effective.

Associate
Yes she is the wrong sort, do I need to point out why?
if your car is faulty would you listen to a mechanic or a footballer?

You haven't understood it - first sentence tells you it isn't 100% :)

Increased efficacy with longer inter-dose interval

Protection of over 70% starting after a first dose

First indication of reduction in disease transmission of up to 67%

You haven't understood - I wasn't the one on national TV telling millions of viewers that the vaccine was 100% effective at preventing hospitalisation and death, was I?

She's a doctor, people trust doctors to give us informed, evidence-based expert opinion - if you have a problem take it up with her.

Man of Honour
You haven't understood - I wasn't the one on national TV telling millions of viewers that the vaccine was 100% effective at preventing hospitalisation and death, was I?

She's a doctor, people trust doctors to give us informed, evidence-based expert opinion - if you have a problem take it up with her.

and like I said, she is not an expert in that field.
She should have been struck off for saying a vaccine is 100% effective when nobody in that field would say such a thing.

Soldato
She was technically not lying, the thing is that we didn't know the extent to which the efficacy would wane over time at that point and if you take a moment frozen in time just after the vaccine started to work then her statement was technically true based on their testing.

The Astrazeneca vaccine was a cheap, easy to store and transport vaccine that saved millions of lives globally remember, despite the very rare side effects.

Last edited:
Soldato

You are getting mixed up, the efficacy against getting the virus/transmission is a different and significantly lower number than the efficacy against hospitalisation and/or death.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest I've got no doubt in my mind that there COULD BE some excess deaths for the simple reason all medication has different effects on different people.
I've been on so many different pills over the years, some causing me really bad problems but I seem to have stabilised now (touch wood), this would be no different with a vaccine.
What made me laugh is a vaccine was pulled because 3 people in 100,000 COULD get blood clots, makes no sense to me.
If somebody put an arsenic pill in a bowl of 33,333 placebos and you would win a million if you ate one and lived I take those odds.
I don't doubt it either it is just something we have to realise when taking medication or vaccines.

Soldato
They were acting out of an abundance of caution, they thought that by withdrawing it they would increase people's trust in governments, medics and the safety process as well as reduce vaccine scepticism. Unfortunately it seemed to have the opposite effect.

Soldato
I think there was another narrative going on in the background trying to exploit covid to make money.

As new information comes to light about the vaccine people are taking their eyes off covid itself.

Covid is still active and disabling people daily.

Soldato
I got my booster today, didn't realise they were still doing them until I read something in local news about them ending the spring round this month, was half tempted to not bother getting it, are they needed anymore I don't know anyone who has covid for well over a year

Associate
I thought you had an IQ of 137, from the story :)

Covid vaccines may have helped fuel rise in excess deaths

Covid vaccines could be partly to blame for the rise in excess deaths since the pandemic, scientists have suggested.

Evidently you're under room temperature if researchers are saying they are investigating and called for a deeper search.

But I guess what was once "trust the science" is now bro it's just a maybe....

On a side note reddit threw up an old suggested thread earlier and it was from like 2021. Genuinely disturbing reading what in hindsight now were mentally ill people having a breakdown and the insane measures they wanted and what they wished on people who didnt follow their inane guides and their own self imposed prisons. Incredible times.

Soldato
On a side note reddit threw up an old suggested thread earlier and it was from like 2021. Genuinely disturbing reading what in hindsight now were mentally ill people having a breakdown and the insane measures they wanted and what they wished on people who didnt follow their inane guides and their own self imposed prisons. Incredible times.
They'd be the first people to grass on their neighbours in 1940 Germany, then claiming they did nothing of the sort in 1945.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I'm going to be critical of everyone in this context, too many people who can't put their own, often trivial, needs aside even in small ways and just act appropriately for the situation, but as a whole we also screwed up massively by not putting sufficient effort into understanding what we were dealing with and getting ahead of it rather than (over)reacting to just what we could see and no lessons have been learnt for the next time. Lockdowns could have been almost entirely avoided if more effort had been put into understanding the disease earlier and people taking some actual personal responsibility and being willing to make some often small compromises/modifications on a temporary basis.

A disease like this is almost always one step ahead of what we can see and it is important to understand and work with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Guardian has an interesting story of how people can go from running 15 mile marathons to struggling just to move around the house.

Soldato
i think the big mistake was to vaccinate everyone when only a small % of people were at risk, i'm personally not taking an MRNA vaccine for anything that i'm not at high risk of..

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know anyone who has covid for well over a year
i know quite a few....... in my team of maybe 10 people at least 3 have had covid in the last few months (independently of each other).

my wifes lab has had similar numbers of people getting covid,

last i heard (and it was a month ago so perhaps its on a downward trend now) but last i heard we were at quite high levels at the moment, but many people are no longer testing. Both mine and my wifes work still ask us to test if we feel under the weather and to WFH if we are positive but other places dont want to know, confounded by the fact that a lot of people do not want to pay for tests.

Back
Top Bottom