COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
If this had been the "big one" those lack of freedoms and other measures could/would have made a huge difference and worth doing until you know what you are dealing with when faced with a disease showing the signs this one did.

This is the problem though with the seeming lack of willingness initially to put the resources into an expedited studying, understanding and getting out ahead of the disease which would have made it possible to manage the situation this time with far less intrusive mechanisms as it turns out - albeit I think there is a problem there as well with getting people to go along with basic measures unless they can literally see people dying in the streets with their own eyes.

That said, I've seen no one I know get seriously ill or worse, but I certainly don't dispute that people have.

Personally the only people I know who've died were people with existing serious conditions - mostly cancer and one with MND though most of those were tragic as it got people who still had a life expectancy of a few years yet.

Associate
If this had been the "big one" those lack of freedoms and other measures could/would have made a huge difference and worth doing until you know what you are dealing with when faced with a disease showing the signs this one did.

This is the problem though with the seeming lack of willingness initially to put the resources into an expedited studying, understanding and getting out ahead of the disease which would have made it possible to manage the situation this time with far less intrusive mechanisms as it turns out - albeit I think there is a problem there as well with getting people to go along with basic measures unless they can literally see people dying in the streets with their own eyes.

Personally the only people I know who've died were people with existing serious conditions - mostly cancer and one with MND though most of those were tragic as it got people who still had a life expectancy of a few years yet.
Let's just hope the NHS, civil service and political parties make sure that lessons learnt are worked on and we have a program to follow if it happens again

Associate
Anyone want a bet on bird flu mutating and the cycle begining again? :cry:

Fret not. Pfizer and moderna are already doing human trials with mrna bird flu vaccines so we'll be fine ;)

The pharmaceutical company Moderna already has a bird flu mRNA vaccine in very early-stage human testing. In a statement, Moderna confirmed that “we are in discussions with the U.S. government on advancing our pandemic flu candidate."

Similar work has been going on at Pfizer. Company researchers in December gave human volunteers an mRNA vaccine against a bird flu strain that's similar to—but not exactly the same as—the one in cows. Since then, researchers have performed a lab experiment exposing blood samples from those volunteers to the strain seen in dairy farms, and saw a “notable increases in antibody responses," Pfizer said in a statement.

Moderna has completed dosing of a mid-stage trial of its H5 pandemic flu vaccine, with interim data expected soon. Pfizer said in a statement on Wednesday that it “would be prepared to deploy the company’s capabilities to develop a vaccine for strategic stockpiles”, confirming that it had launched a phase-one trial for a pandemic flu vaccine last December.

Applications for Barda grant funding for an mRNA-based pandemic flu vaccine closed in December last year, according to a project proposal seen by the Financial Times. But the bird flu outbreak has increased the urgency of talks, with federal officials acknowledging that the speed with which mRNA vaccines were designed and deployed during the Covid-19 pandemic showed their value compared with more traditional vaccine technology.The jabs from GSK, Sanofi and CSL Seqirus, which make up the US government’s existing pandemic vaccine portfolio, provide immunity to the current strain of bird flu, according to laboratory testing, but rely on a more time-intensive manufacturing process using egg- and cell-based cultures.The US health department, Moderna and Pfizer declined to comment on the potential funding.

Soldato
- albeit I think there is a problem there as well with getting people to go along with basic measures unless they can literally see people dying in the streets with their own eyes.
We did though, remember the videos from China of people just keeling over in the street?
At that point I started to question things a bit.

Soldato
Soldato
A while back I wrote about a young woman suffering badly with long covid, and inadequate treatment and attitudes from the medical profession (US) didn't help.

She had made a post a few months ago saying she had got approval and a date for euthanasia. But didn't say what the date was.

I hope that I am wrong. But she just wrote a short goodbye message on Twitter. Then there was another post that I think was written by her mother with the words to the effect of "I'm sorry I let you down" accompanied by a picture of them both pre-covid.

I feel really bad for these people, especially those in countries with no proper health care safety net.

She was an amazing young woman both inside and out.

One thing I like about the community is we're all nearly bedbound yet even during these bad times we always promote others gofundme sites.

It is a humbling experience.

Man of Honour
Colleague came in with flu (her claim) after 4 hours so unwell she had to go home, tried to stay as far away as possible but probably others picked it up so might not matter much :( just wish after COVID we manage better at stuff like this :( I so do not need the flu right now let alone COVID.

Associate
Colleague came in with flu (her claim) after 4 hours so unwell she had to go home, tried to stay as far away as possible but probably others picked it up so might not matter much :( just wish after COVID we manage better at stuff like this :( I so do not need the flu right now let alone COVID.
I just don't get why people and/or employers think coming into work with an easy to transfer bug is a good idea. They shouldn't be going anywhere really, let alone work.

Associate
Yes, happy to oblige.

You called a poster a liar when he said..

And as you know damn well, it did neither.

His claim a the vaccine did not help reduce the spread of the virus is a straight up lie.

Either that or a demonstration that they have 0 clue how vaccines work, even though it has been explained to them, in depth, repeatedly during this thread.

Just like it's been explained to you many times too, as you damn well know.

As has been explained many times and as you damn well know, it did reduce the spread of the virus.

If at this stage in the game you are still trying to claim the vaccine was entirely ineffective at reducing the spread of the virus you're either being deliberately dishonest or your profoundly stupid.

So, What is your explanation for the fact we no longer have Covid running rampant and threatening to overwhelm the NHS (and other medical services in other countries)? It just magically went away by itself?

Last edited:
Soldato
my view is don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.
the vaccine isn't , and wasn't even with earlier variants perfect.

it didn't STOP you getting COVID or transmitting it.
and it was certainly not side effects free.

however the side effects were on a global scale massively less than the effects of COVID and it help reduce transmission by minimising the period someone was infectious , as well as reducing the chances of getting it in the 1st place

and most studies (not all) indicated it also helped lower the viral load as well so make you less likely (but not a magic bullet) to pass it on.

I would suggest there are a number of reasons.why COVID is no longer the global disaster it was.
natural (herd) immunity
vaccine immunity
and natural mutations of the virus which seems to make it less dangerous perhaps than it once was.

Last edited:
Associate
my view is don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.
the vaccine isn't , and wasn't even with earlier variants perfect.

it didn't STOP you getting COVID or transmitting it.
and it was certainly not side effects free.

however the side effects were on a global scale massively less than the effects of COVID and it help reduce transmission by minimising the period someone was infectious , as well as reducing the chances of getting it in the 1st place

and most studies (not all) indicated it also helped lower the viral load as well so make you less likely (but not a magic bullet) to pass it on.
That explanation doesn't fit with their CT ideas so they ignore it.

Last edited:
Soldato
His claim a the vaccine did not help reduce the spread of the virus is a straight up lie.

Either that or a demonstration that they have 0 clue how vaccines work, even though it has been explained to them, in depth, repeatedly during this thread.

As has been explained many times and as you damn well know, it did reduce the spread of the virus.

If at this stage in the game you are still trying to claim the vaccine was entirely ineffective at reducing the spread of the virus you're either being deliberately dishonest or your profoundly stupid.

So, What is your explanation for the fact we no longer have Covid running rampant and threatening to overwhelm the NHS (and other medical services in other countries)? It just magically went away by itself?

Their response to your last line is it was never going to do that, because they would never admit that could/was happening around the world.

Soldato

I'm really not sure why you're getting so wound up and being rather rude, by calling members liars or profoundly stupid when they're correct in what they say.
All I said is that (as many others have) the vaccine neither stopped you catching it or spreading it, and that was that.
As for your rather sarcastic last question, well I'd say bigmike20vt summed it up pretty well, don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom