COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
Cases on the rise again 52% in a week and 17% rise in hospitalisations according to govt data rising in the over 55's especially partly driven by unshielding but also by the BA.2 omicron variant which spreads faster.

Govt may have to revise its "over 75's only" booster policy before too long

BA.2 seems to be pushing a rise against what should have been a decline and China going to extreme measures to try and contain it.

Soldato
Took my little one to child minder this morning. The greeter happily said they all have COVID but government restrictions are over now; so whatevs.

Good to hear... :(

Soldato
And people are shocked that rates are going up...
More shocked that I let her stay tbh. But the alternative is what? She stays at home with me and I take my annual leave/stop being productive? This thing is never going away so not sure what else I could have done :(

Soldato
Oh aye, wasn't a dig, the numbers were always going to go up when restrictions were lifted, just have to see how this new Deltacron variant goes, although I suspect Putin might try and blow us up before The Rona' gets us..

Soldato
Oh aye, wasn't a dig, the numbers were always going to go up when restrictions were lifted, just have to see how this new Deltacron variant goes, although I suspect Putin might try and blow us up before The Rona' gets us..
At least that'll take years off of my mortgage

Caporegime
Hospitalisations up 60% last two weeks in ireland
from around 600 to just over 1k if anyone's curious.

seems the absolute peak in Ireland was a tad under 2k

ICU cases are falling though only 42.
+5 new cases and 1 discharged in 24hours.
stats for Ireland only.

Man of Honour
So we relaxed all COVID policies at work last week including masks - now got 4 people off with COVID who appear to have spread it between themselves at work :s

Strangely noticed an up-tick in general public mask wearing today - probably around half wearing masks, last few weeks it has been more like 20%.

Soldato
Since everyone stopped wearing masks I've already had 1 head cold and now a chest infection.

I see China has locked down a province and with cases popping up in over half the rest of the country, economic fears are they may go into a severe country wide lockdown. I'm glad we got Covid done in the UK though, it's great it's all over /s

Soldato
Took my little one to child minder this morning. The greeter happily said they all have COVID but government restrictions are over now; so whatevs.

Good to hear... :(

"Yeah babes, whatevah"

So covid (omicron) poses less risk of death and serious illness than flu now... except that flu is non existant at the moment and covid infections are roughly 1 in 25 and hundreds dying a day. Still as soon as the govt removes all testing shortly that'll all be nicely swept under the carpet. Nothing to see here, go home people.

Man of Honour
Since everyone stopped wearing masks I've already had 1 head cold and now a chest infection.

I see China has locked down a province and with cases popping up in over half the rest of the country, economic fears are they may go into a severe country wide lockdown. I'm glad we got Covid done in the UK though, it's great it's all over /s

We've still not had an outbreak of colds/flu at work... yet... I'm kind of dreading when it picks back up again. 4 people off with COVID is the first spreading at work of anything in the last 2 years.

Soldato
Our eldest (6) tested positive last Friday and is still positive today. She seems fine though, small cough and a 24 hours sore throat but other than that not much. What's baffling us though is the rest of us are all negative.

Caporegime
Nephew tested positive and I spent time with him over the weekend, I have a sore throat and a cough, pretty harsh chest when coughing as well (burning). I’ve tested negative but feels a bit of a coincidence to me… waiting on a PCR.

Soldato
"Yeah babes, whatevah"

So covid (omicron) poses less risk of death and serious illness than flu now... except that flu is non existant at the moment and covid infections are roughly 1 in 25 and hundreds dying a day. Still as soon as the govt removes all testing shortly that'll all be nicely swept under the carpet. Nothing to see here, go home people.
What are people meant to do though? Live in fear forever? My current job is in covid testing and we are starting to ramp down everything and even laid of a chunk of staff as the profits are not worth it anymore to the owner. Right now we barely have around £2000 in tests per day coming in which isnt enough to pay staff wages and rent for all the testing centres (20 odd people in everyday across customer service, the testing centres and the lab itself) , many staff were let go to downsize and it's getting lower all the time. It's to a point that if any of the customer service staff are sick it causes big issues keeping a 24/7 service running without loads of overtime. The whole thing just isnt sustainable anymore as many places just don't need testing anymore. Most our queries per day are either stupid questions that common sense can answer or refund requests. This may change in the coming weeks as cases will inevitably rise but they can't just lock everything down again.

Last edited:
What are people meant to do though? Live in fear forever? My current job is in covid testing and we are starting to ramp down everything and even laid off a chunk of staff as the profits are not worth it anymore to the owner. Right now we barely have around £2000 in tests per day coming in which isn't enough to pay staff wages and rent for all the testing centres (20 odd people in everyday across customer service, the testing centres and the lab itself) , many staff were let go to downsize and it's getting lower all the time. It's to a point that if any of the customer service staff are sick it causes big issues keeping a 24/7 service running without loads of overtime. The whole thing just isn't sustainable anymore as many places just don't need testing anymore. Most our queries per day are either stupid questions that common sense can answer or refund requests. This may change in the coming weeks as cases will inevitably rise but they can't just lock everything down again.

"Live in fear forever"? Who's saying that? Learning to live with Covid should mean exactly that, learning to live with it, not what we are currently doing, which is ignoring it completely, which will inevitably lead to hospitals getting over run again, that then having a knock-on effect to urgent non-Covid related treatments, whether we like it or not we need to change the way we behave now, that doesn't mean we are all living in fear, 'learning to live with it' is the best way to keep us out of the lockdown cycle, not by ignoring it.

I think Covid has shone a bright light on the inherit flaws that reside in so many people in society, namely selfishness, people not prepared to make any sacrifices for the betterment of the larger community, as long as they are ok in the moment screw everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom