COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato

even in the olden times, people understood how things worked
Right, so a village full of people infected with plague stopped travel to nearby cities. In 1666.

Next?

Man of Honour
Read what I said again.

“Locking healthy people in their homes”.

Not isolating the sick from the general population.

Show me the “loads of times” we have locked up the healthy population and I’ll eat my words.

Sure I don't believe historically there has been lockdowns quite like COVID, most of these outbreaks had no centrally imposed lockdown, but during the plagues and stuff like the Spanish Flu large amounts of normal activities were suspended, people largely stayed at home, in some places enforced even for the healthy ones for periods of those epidemics or pandemics, some individual regions or cities cut themselves off from the outside world to prevent the disease getting in as well as places being isolated where the disease was. (If you read up on the Spanish Flu, etc. there are a lot of parallels with COVID including people railing against measured to fight it).

Except as a last resort lockdowns are only really needed because far too many people are too stupid to police themselves and take an actual responsible approach and largely have no interest in modifying their behaviour until bodies are actually piling up in the street. With a disease like COVID it is one step ahead of what we can see, especially when there is such reluctance for some reason to take it seriously and do high quality studies early. It could easily have gone the other way and become the "big one" and then people would have been complaining we didn't lockdown early enough...

Last edited:
Associate
Right, so a village full of people infected with plague stopped travel to nearby cities. In 1666.

Next?
they didn't just "lock down" the sick tho, did they, they locked down everybody. that's kind of how quarantine works, a village or city would be closed down for months or even years.

I suppose we could have done something similar and closed all the major roads and made driving illegal. No goods or services in or out of every town or city until it all blew over, or everybody staved to death.

UTT

UTT

Associate
they didn't just "lock down" the sick tho, did they, they locked down everybody. that's kind of how quarantine works, a village or city would be closed down for months or even years.

I suppose we could have done something similar and closed all the major roads and made driving illegal. No goods or services in or out of every town or city until it all blew over, or everybody staved to death.

The problem with the old black death was that they didn't have a pre-approved pandemic response plan ready to sweep into action

Black death lateral flow tests weren't available and China hadn't yet ramped up the manufacture of comedy cloth masks and the monks had the monopoly on parchment masks

If only they'd had a supply of scotch eggs and garden centres it could have been different

Associate
Soldato
Ivermectin should never have been undermined in the way it was.

It shows how poisonous the American political/media society can be.

Ivermectin was attacked because it was undermining the business model of the vaccine manufacturers.

I don't blame the vaccine makers for wanting to maximise their profits. But the establishment should not have been helping them, especially when lives are at stake.

Associate
Ivermectin should never have been undermined in the way it was.

It shows how poisonous the American political/media society can be.

Ivermectin was attacked because it was undermining the business model of the vaccine manufacturers.

I don't blame the vaccine makers for wanting to maximise their profits. But the establishment should not have been helping them, especially when lives are at stake.
But sadly that's how it works

Don
I think earlier this year, more robust studies showed ivermectin to perform approximately as well as Paxlovid (so not overly effective) in mitigating covid symptoms, but costing 50p a dose or whatever against £100, so yeah.

Amazing how everyone is now self-medicating.

Associate
Doctor John Campbell interviews a man who has had his leg amputated due to damage inflicted by the covid vaccine. The unfortunate gentleman has received compensation from the taxpayer for the inconvenience of now having only one leg due to the indemnity provided to the vaccine manufacturers.

Soldato
Salami honestly doesn't do his homework before typing, mindblowing :)
Still waiting on someone showing me "load of times" in history where healthy people have been locked down in their homes.

We had a village where the mayor (or similar title) restricted travel to neighbouring cities 400 years ago. An approach so unusual, it made a news article centuries later.

Surely you, Mr Fox are ready to spring into action showing how wrong I am?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Still waiting on someone showing me "load of times" in history where healthy people have been locked down in their homes.

We had a village where the mayor (or similar title) restricted travel to neighbouring cities 400 years ago. An approach so unusual, it made a news article centuries later.

There wasn't government imposed lockdowns but the principle has been used many times in history for example https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...own-that-dodged-the-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic

A more typical historic approach has been https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordon_sanitaire_(medicine) in some of those cases healthy people were restricted to an area or their homes.

Last edited:
Associate

The point of that example was to show even 400 years ago, people knew simply quarantining the sick didn't work.

when 99% of people didn't travel more than a few miles from home and the average settlement numbered in their hundreds at most, quarantining at the village or city level makes sense.

Edit

And it's not a famous case because it was unusual, but because the community were smart enough to impose it on themselves without government intervention.

Last edited:
Associate
The point of that example was to show even 400 years ago, people knew simply quarantining the sick didn't work.

when 99% of people didn't travel more than a few miles from home and the average settlement numbered in their hundreds at most, quarantining at the village or city level makes sense.

Edit

And it's not a famous case because it was unusual, but because the community were smart enough to impose it on themselves without government intervention.
It begs the question, why were international flights not stopped coming in, not even for one week. Even incoming from the epicenter China they were not stopped.

Whilst back in Blighty, we were all following floor arrows, well at least sexyfox was, but the contagion was allowed to fly in. Mind boggles.

Associate
It begs the question, why were international flights not stopped coming in, not even for one week. Even incoming from the epicenter China they were not stopped.

Whilst back in Blighty, we were all following floor arrows, well at least sexyfox was, but the contagion was allowed to fly in. Mind boggles.
I don't think they watched the film 12 Monkey's to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato

worse than that... Liverpool hosted a European football match. utter bonkers (not Liverpool's fault)

Commissario
worse than that... Liverpool hosted a European football match. utter bonkers (not Liverpool's fault)
Yup

Money and the government (or parts of it) not wanting to admit it would have to do anything, as UTmaniac says the Cheltenham horse race also went ahead after they knew how bad delays could be, but apparently because it was a big money event for the constituency it was fine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

One of the premier league games around the start of the pandemic was linked to spread in 40 countries and several of the bigger UK/European games were big spreaders. Kind of a funny one in a way though as football matches are one where it is relatively easy to limit spread albeit having to reduce crowds to 1/3rd or even 1/4 capacity and still considerations around how people get to and from the games. This is the problem though there was very little interest in learning how to actually live with the virus albeit there is a trade off there with the risk that it wouldn't produce as big a pressure to develop vaccines, etc. and/or find some end game.

Associate
One of the premier league games around the start of the pandemic was linked to spread in 40 countries and several of the bigger UK/European games were big spreaders.
Now that is interesting and i never knew of that. Do you have a link to the proof of those events?

Back
Top Bottom