CPU Cooler and Top Exhaust Fan Airflow Question

Soldato
Hi! I may be out of line here but this is exactly what i was searching for. Im looking around for some tips to my new build too and you seem to know what you are talking about.

I recently got a Noctua NH D15, and Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (TG) case, but im having trouble deciding on case fans. 3 would be ideal for space and motherboard headers, and also airflow, but i dont know what fans to buy. The CPU cooler can go up to 82 CFM, and ill need to feed that beast, and also take that hot air all out on a workload. So im guessing ill need some beast fans, no? I also have an Asus Geforce RTX 2080.
Enthoo Pro M TG has 2x fans that are variable voltage 1200rpm fans with PH-F140MP impeller. They are good fans. I would get a 2 PH-F140MP for front intakes which are a higher pressure rated 1600rpm fan so will flow more air through grill and filter. The Arctic fans are okay, especially at their very low price, but PH-F140MP are much better and a 2-pack is £16.26.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

I often don't use any exhaust fans, using only high pressure rated intakes. I always remove all back PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus improve airflow and lower air temps around GPU.

As others have said, airflow and prssure specifications mean little because they are the absolute maximum airflow fan can achieve with absolutely no resistance .. like hanging on strings in middle of room.

I think Asus Geforce RTX 2080 has 3x 80/90mm fans, meaning it uses about as much air as 1.5-2x 140mm front intakes fans will supply. I would remove the optical drive and install a 3rd 140mm intake fan in front part of top vent .. maybe in middle area. Hard to say which placement will be best. We don't want a top intake too close to CPU cooler because it's airflow movng at right angles to cooler fan can disrupt their ability to draw air in. Ideally we want all fans moving air in same direction (front to back) so we have as little turbulence as possible .. and a top intake is moving air at right angles. Maybe make a duct or divider from front top front of case at an angle (or curved) down about 140mm to turn that airflow from down to back like rest of case airflow.

I alway have fans speed controled based on temperature. This way they remain silent or barely audible 99% of the time, only running full speed in extremely hot weather with dirty filters. ;)

The below link is to a basic guide for case airflow and how to set it up and monitor airflow temps:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/case-cooling-fan-setup.18538537/#post-24862149

Back
Top Bottom