• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cpu stopped working 3950

Soldato
My pc stopped working today, unsure if it’s the board or the cpu. I’ve tried resetting the cpu a few times with no luck, and have taken it out to have a look.

I can’t remember what it looked like when I put it in, but there’s a little cluster of pins where it looks discoloured, but no idea if it’s normal or not, trying to workout whether to rma the cpu or the motherboard, cpu has been running at stock since I got it.

Any advice? Pc won’t post and gpu fans just run 100% rather than ramping down as it would with a Normal post, was playing RDR2 when it stopped working

Associate
My pc stopped working today, unsure if it’s the board or the cpu. I’ve tried resetting the cpu a few times with no luck, and have taken it out to have a look.

I can’t remember what it looked like when I put it in, but there’s a little cluster of pins where it looks discoloured, but no idea if it’s normal or not, trying to workout whether to rma the cpu or the motherboard, cpu has been running at stock since I got it.

Any advice? Pc won’t post and gpu fans just run 100% rather than ramping down as it would with a Normal post, was playing RDR2 when it stopped working

Could be either to be honest, my guess would be the CPU as they are first gen on this new node and thats a lot of cores :) not trolling, have a 3700X myself. Where did you buy it ? did you buy both board and CPU together as I would be tempted to send both back.

Either way good luck and hopefully you have working PC back soon.

Soldato
Could be either to be honest, my guess would be the CPU as they are first gen on this new node and thats a lot of cores :) not trolling, have a 3700X myself. Where did you buy it ? did you buy both board and CPU together as I would be tempted to send both back.

Either way good luck and hopefully you have working PC back soon.

This makes me more comfortable paying a little premium to buy all from ocuk. They can sort it all out in situations like this.

Soldato
I wonder if your PSU blew/overvolted some components.

But in reality it could be anything, you're going to have to test each part individually. Even unstable RAM or a dead RAM stick can cause your symptoms.

What mobo do you have? Some of the newer ones like mine have a screen on that shows all the checks the BIOS goes through during post and if it stops on one check that failed, it pops up an error code to tell you what the faulty part is.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Maybe begin by actually telling the truth when asking a question ? It hasn't been running "at stock" since you got it, has it ? In fact, at least once it has had an all core clock of 4.25Ghz ( https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33243719 ) ( https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/42278420? ).
So, what Vcore did you use to get that and more importantly have you actually been running that all core clock ever since ?

Oh I played with overclocking for a few hours, but the benchmarks in game were actually slower.

Running anything other than auto volts put the temps up too high running cinebench, the highest voltage I had it at were 1.35, which is less than what it runs at on auto.

if you look at my profile on 3dmark you can see I did a stress test earlier today with everything at stock cpu speeds.

I actually forgot I had briefly overclocked it when I was trying to break 10k on port royale, however, nothing was done outside of the chips operating speeds and voltages.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh I played with overclocking for a few hours, but the benchmarks in game were actually slower.

Running anything other than auto volts put the temps up too high running cinebench, the highest voltage I had it at were 1.35, which is less than what it runs at on auto.

As someone that has been benching for the last 20 years or so under both LN2 and Phase, i can tell you this about the pic you posted. It's typical of a cpu that has been overclocked, well overvolted and more importantly not cooled properly to take into count volts and clock.
How do i know this, over the years i've killed more cpu's than most peeps have owned in a lifetime and all of them look like yours. Darkened area (in the case of a 3950x under one CCX), on Intel cpu's it's normally a smaller area but is nearly black as opposed to gold.

Good luck with any RMA and just hope that no one actually checks the cpu.

Soldato
OP
As someone that has been benching for the last 20 years or so under both LN2 and Phase, i can tell you this about the pic you posted. It's typical of a cpu that has been overclocked, well overvolted and more importantly not cooled properly to take into count volts and clock.
How do i know this, over the years i've killed more cpu's than most peeps have owned in a lifetime and all of them look like yours. Darkened area (in the case of a 3950x under one CCX), on Intel cpu's it's normally a smaller area but is nearly black as opposed to gold.

It has not been overvolted, and overclocked for maybe 4 hours since I got it.

Cooled with a Corsair h115i

under auto volts I’ve seen as low as 1v and as high as 1.52v, I’ve never ran higher than 1.35v manually but the temps were in the high 80s , which is why I put it back to stock

Man of Honour
Can we be sure it's either the cpu or board, I assume you have fully excluded the gpu and ram? Almost sounds more GPU to me giving what you were doing when it went.

Soldato

he can just RMA it and get it replaced. It was stock when it died, how can they prove it was overclocked incorrectly and not just the board that killed it or the psu or anything else for that matter. As long as you don't tell them you overclocked it when you do the rma they won't know

Soldato
OP
jesus lol, and I thought the pch on my board doing 70c was hot

I bought a pci-e adaptor for one of my m.2 drives (I have 3 in the board) I thought having 3 might be the problem with the pch temps, which led to me doing a stress test before it died, dropped a couple of c but was still high, gigabyte reckoned it’s fine past 100c though.

Soldato
OP
Can we be sure it's either the cpu or board, I assume you have fully excluded the gpu and ram? Almost sounds more GPU to me giving what you were doing when it went.

will try my gpu in my other pc tomorrow, could be I guess since the fan is running constant 100% when I switch on.

got a new cpu coming tomorrow to test tho, would be a bit of a ball ache to test the gpu since my other pc is all custom watercooled

Back
Top Bottom