• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cpu stopped working 3950

Soldato
OP
Temps in the high 80's for 4 hours ? 1.35v with what is plainly not good enough cooling is enough to do that damage to a 7nm cpu.
The voltages you see under "Auto" are not sustained voltages. To give you an example, just running PBO on mine with a 360 AIO cooler i get an all core clock in CB20 of 4.18Ghz and a sustained vcore of 1.215v to 1.219v and temps of 65c to 68c.
I can also get an all core clock of 4.4Ghz at 1.35v, but temps go into the high 70's, not the high 80's. That is where your problem is, too high a temperature, as proved by the burning on the back of the cpu.

What motherboard is it ? I'm shocked that someone that has spent probably getting on for £1300+ on a GPU and £750 on a CPU didn't know that his cpu didn't have an onboard GPU :eek:

Im not an idiot, i know the voltages are not sustained. Temperatures are not too high, 3950's are designed to work in the 80's.

CPU has never been near the thermal throttling limit of the CPU. Sorry to disappoint that the CPU wasnt broken, i know you had been rooting for it.

And no, shocking as it seems, as i never planned on ever using onboard graphics, i never checked whether the 3950 was able to do this, so it really doesnt say anything about me not knowing that.

Last edited:
Associate
So took the whole pc apart and trying one component at a time.

Took the cpu out and cleaned it all, then took the motherboard out and dusted it thoroughly to make sure there was nothing shorting anywhere, maybe a loose bit of thermal paste or something, there was a couple of tiny spots around where the cpu went.

Just need tidy everything up again, cables everywhere, but happy to be up and running again without having to RMA anything.

First of all, I'm glad everything is back in order. I had my experiences of "out of this world" behaviors...

But the reason I quoted this post from you is just to say ... Thermal Paste has no electric conductivity ... so don't worry about thermal paste doing shorts :)

Soldato
First of all, I'm glad everything is back in order. I had my experiences of "out of this world" behaviors...

But the reason I quoted this post from you is just to say ... Thermal Paste has no electric conductivity ... so don't worry about thermal paste doing shorts :)
Arctic Silver, Conductonaut, Coollabratory Liquid Metal etc would all like a word.

Soldato
Arctic Silver, Conductonaut, Coollabratory Liquid Metal etc would all like a word.

You might want to check those facts...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Soldato
OP
All i can think is when i switched out to my new case about a week ago that i got something on there, after i took everything out, i brushed everything down, cpu and motherboard, tried it again, no dice, then just before i was about to pack up the board to go back i wiped all around the socket and even in the socket with a damp cloth, cleaned it off then blew dry it with a hairdryer - it came to life after that :D

Associate
All i can think is when i switched out to my new case about a week ago that i got something on there, after i took everything out, i brushed everything down, cpu and motherboard, tried it again, no dice, then just before i was about to pack up the board to go back i wiped all around the socket and even in the socket with a damp cloth, cleaned it off then blew dry it with a hairdryer - it came to life after that :D

Marvellous, well hassle whilst it lasted but a cheap fix in the end, the best type.

Soldato
You might want to check those facts...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)
Yes, so it is mildly electrically conductive...

Soldato
So basically your 3950x did not die, you just accidentally got thermal paste where it shouldn't go.

Where is that other dude who claimed your 3950x died because you overclocked it, not a single word now huh

Soldato
OP
Im still getting crazy high chipset temps, just played an hour of red dead 2 and it is hitting 90.3C at max - gigabyte Aurus Ultra. Wondering if its worth taking off the chipset fan and putting some grizzly on it.

Soldato
Im still getting crazy high chipset temps, just played an hour of red dead 2 and it is hitting 90.3C at max - gigabyte Aurus Ultra. Wondering if its worth taking off the chipset fan and putting some grizzly on it.

Is the fan even spinning? Try moving your gpu to a different pcie slot and see if that helps. Also maybe update the motherboard bios and amd chipset drivers

Back
Top Bottom