• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cpu stopped working 3950

Man of Honour
I bought a pci-e adaptor for one of my m.2 drives (I have 3 in the board) I thought having 3 might be the problem with the pch temps, which led to me doing a stress test before it died, dropped a couple of c but was still high, gigabyte reckoned it’s fine past 100c though.

This is what i'm saying, that little fella could well be done. I've literally even had a single stick of ram go bad before that caused odd boot issues. Replaced on lifetime warranty which was good but you never know when one of these things might go. Millions of tiny little transistors and whatnot all working together and allowing you to sit on a chair and have a random chat with some fella over the internet, tbh i'm surprised the failure rate is as low as it is. Either way something gone bad and ive pulled chips that look a lot worse than that and still work. That is what I would consider an enthusiastic but minor charing.

Soldato
OP
Will find out tomorrow when the new cpu comes, not had any issues at all with it prior to this, gpu is overclocked so I guess that’s possibly a suspect too, it’s only really the colour of those pills that’s making me think it’s cpu

Man of Honour
Will find out tomorrow when the new cpu comes, not had any issues at all with it prior to this, gpu is overclocked so I guess that’s possibly a suspect too, it’s only really the colour of those pills that’s making me think it’s cpu

Id be interested to find out when you do. Im pretty sure my TR isn't pristine under there any more and had a little bit of discolouration last time I had it out. Not sure what my little EPYC chip I have as an ornament looks like but one of the two I had was a little charred as well but that little fella still worked.

Soldato
The motherboard has onboard HDMI on it

To allow any CPU with integrated graphics to output display, which the 3950X isn't.

I suspected the GPU when I read the thread yesterday and Vince mentioned the possibility. You likely have a dead GPU and it won't be the first that's died playing a Rockstar-made game. Had a GTX 680 that died in the middle of GTA V lol. System wouldn't power on with it installed.

You need to try with another, known working, GPU.

Soldato
If that damage on the chip is due to vcore, surely that will have damaged the board as well as the CPU? That discolouring on the CPU sure doesn't look good tbh.

Soldato
Not read all the thread but by the look of it, it looks like it's over heating. I've seen a few CPUs look like that after they have been clocked high and subjected to, to much heat.

It's like a tarnish/smoke damage sort of thing. Most should wipe off. If it's under warranty you should be good to send it back once cleaned up.

Soldato
Soldato
It has not been overvolted, and overclocked for maybe 4 hours since I got it.

Cooled with a Corsair h115i

under auto volts I’ve seen as low as 1v and as high as 1.52v, I’ve never ran higher than 1.35v manually but the temps were in the high 80s , which is why I put it back to stock

Temps in the high 80's for 4 hours ? 1.35v with what is plainly not good enough cooling is enough to do that damage to a 7nm cpu.
The voltages you see under "Auto" are not sustained voltages. To give you an example, just running PBO on mine with a 360 AIO cooler i get an all core clock in CB20 of 4.18Ghz and a sustained vcore of 1.215v to 1.219v and temps of 65c to 68c.
I can also get an all core clock of 4.4Ghz at 1.35v, but temps go into the high 70's, not the high 80's. That is where your problem is, too high a temperature, as proved by the burning on the back of the cpu.
The motherboard has onboard HDMI on it

What motherboard is it ? I'm shocked that someone that has spent probably getting on for £1300+ on a GPU and £750 on a CPU didn't know that his cpu didn't have an onboard GPU :eek:

Man of Honour
If that damage on the chip is due to vcore, surely that will have damaged the board as well as the CPU? That discolouring on the CPU sure doesn't look good tbh.

Bah its minor charing that is. I just checked and my epyc chips have chared pads in several areas of the chip similar to that and they are perfectly fine, I used them not long ago to upgrade some servers. Guess what the server cannot overclock them either.

Also doesnt matter on the nm of the cpu, those pins are not 7nm pins :)

Soldato
my money is on the PSU either blew from load/age/power surge or the Motherboard died - it's the most common outcome for OP's symptoms. Next would be dead RAM, GPU and finally CPU. Dead CPU's with no other components affected are rare.

I've only ever had one CPU die on me, an Athlon 3800 x2 - it died during a lighting storm - power surge fried the PSU, Motherboard, CPU, and Hard drives - GPU and RAM was fine.

Soldato
OP
So took the whole pc apart and trying one component at a time.

Took the cpu out and cleaned it all, then took the motherboard out and dusted it thoroughly to make sure there was nothing shorting anywhere, maybe a loose bit of thermal paste or something, there was a couple of tiny spots around where the cpu went.

Just need tidy everything up again, cables everywhere, but happy to be up and running again without having to RMA anything.

Back
Top Bottom