Crashes to desktop when gaming

Associate
OP
Need some more help on this if possible?

Sent the gpu back, confirmed as faulty, thought that had solved it but I am still getting crashes, a little different this time though.

Spider-Man played through fine, no issues, yet Football Manager and Warhammer still crash. However, both of these are when the game is processing. So in Fm if I press continue and it processes through the next few days it will crash. In Warhammer, battles run fine yet it will crash on the main map or in negotiations or processing the opponent’s turns.

I have run cinebench, and set it for half hour, it won’t get through the whole half hour before it comes up with an error message - usually makes about 5 mins

Man of Honour
I have run cinebench, and set it for half hour, it won’t get through the whole half hour before it comes up with an error message - usually makes about 5 mins

What's the error message say?

Spider-Man played through fine, no issues, yet Football Manager and Warhammer still crash. However, both of these are when the game is processing. So in Fm if I press continue and it processes through the next few days it will crash. In Warhammer, battles run fine yet it will crash on the main map or in negotiations or processing the opponent’s turns.

Do you know what part of the PC is being used when they crash? Like, is it crunching stuff in memory, or is it accessing the SSD, or?

Associate
OP

Do you know what part of the PC is being used when they crash? Like, is it crunching stuff in memory, or is it accessing the SSD, or?
Hi, I am out now. Will run it again tomorrow and post what it says.

How would I tell what part of the PC is being used? Is there a program that would tell me?

Man of Honour

How would I tell what part of the PC is being used? Is there a program that would tell me?

You can try using task manager and run the game in a window. Not perfect, but it might help.

Soldato
In my experience when it comes to crashes while gaming:

* If it's your GPU, the game will crash or your screen will lock up black, the GPU driver will crash and leave a GPU crash error in windows event viewer

* If it's your CPU, often you won't get a ctd, but instead the entire pc will lock up and you will be forced to do a hard restart or power cycle and event viewer will have a cpu failed error message

* If it's your ram, you will often get the ctd and there will be no error messages in event viewer. To check ram run apps like memtest

* if it's your power supply, often the crash will manifest as your entire pc loses power and shuts down

Last edited:
Associate
OP

How would I tell what part of the PC is being used? Is there a program that would tell me
In my experience when it comes to crashes while gaming:

* If it's your GPU, the game will crash or your screen will lock up black, the GPU driver will crash and leave a GPU crash error in windows event viewer

* If it's your CPU, often you won't get a ctd, but instead the entire pc will lock up and you will be forced to do a hard restart or power cycle and event viewer will have a cpu failed error message

* If it's your ram, you will often get the ctd and there will be no error messages in event viewer. To check ram run apps like memtest

* if it's your power supply, often the crash will manifest as your entire pc loses power and shuts down
GPU has been changed. I’m fairly confident it isn’t that, I can’t be that unlucky to have 2 GPU’s that are faulty?

The games just crash to desktop, no other error message. Football manager does do a crash dump file.

Like I said Cinebench fails - will post the error message tomorrow.

Associate
OP
I’m just running cinebench now, will put results up once it stops.

One thing I have just noticed that I must admit I have not looked at before, when I boots obviously the lights on the motherboard come on. It gets stuck on a yellow light on dram for quite some time. This goes out and then a red light on cpu comes on. That goes out and it continues to boot.

Associate
OP
Right, first run on cinebench this morning and the PC restarted itself. To be honest I didn’t see any error message. Temps all looked fine, most they got to that I saw were about 88.

I have tried pulling the ram, using just one stick in each socket and re booting. I’m still getting the yellow dram light come on for quite a while then the red cpu light comes on for a few seconds before going out and booting.

Now just running cinebench again to see if I can get it to generate an error message

Associate
OP
I have no idea to be honest. It is doing the light thing every single boot. Dram lights up yellow for maybe 20 seconds, then goes out and the CPU lights up red for about 3-4 seconds then it boots.

Cinebench is just crashing now, it either shuts the PC down or more often than not it just closes cinebench after about 10-15 mins.

Memtest didn't show any errors with the ram.

Associate
OP
I’m taking this back into a local PC shop today to get them to look at it. The more I play around with things the more I think the processor is faulty.

Went into Ryzen master last night. There is an optimiser option in the basic view. The moment I press that the system gives me a BSOD with a windows message on it and shuts down.

I just want them to look at it to make sure I haven’t got anything connected wrong. I am concerned because if I go into the bios, the AIO cooler isn’t there, it is just a cpu fan.

Associate
OP
Try re-seating the CPU? Reset BIOS to factory settings afterwards.
Hi. I re-seated it yesterday and repasted it. I didn’t reset bios to be honest, didn’t think of doing that. All I have touched in bios is setting the ram speeds to the correct speed/settings.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey dave, did you ever try running with core performance boost disabled? it can be found under a.i tweaker in the bios, would also test with docp/xmp/expo turned off.

Associate
OP
I would be swapping out components, (with the help of a good friend!), until I found the culprit.
Yeah, I know. Unfortunatley I don't know anyone else who games on a PC so that was never going to be an option - I wish it was!

Hey dave, did you ever try running with core performance boost disabled? it can be found under a.i tweaker in the bios, would also test with docp/xmp/expo turned off.
Yes. So on the AMD forum there was someone who was experiencing exactly the same as me with very similar components - Ryzen 5 7600x, but he had a different Asus M/B. He reduced the performance boost and it cured it for him. I tired that and it didn't work for me, so I then disabled it completely and still didn't work.

It is back into the PC shop now. My thoughts are still the processor is knackered, but we will see.

Back
Top Bottom