Critically evaluate the argument that psychology is a science ?

Permabanned
it is a subfield within the philosophy of Science.

Which is not a subfield of any of the Sciences, including Biology.

I may fundamentally disagree with you on several topics, but I did always credit you with more than a modicum of intelligence regardless. Your recent conduct and posts are honestly leading me to question this. :/

The Scientific Method made Philosophy obsolete. It is no longer a valid intellectual subject.

As for your questioning on my intelligence, I have never ever personally claimed to be intelligent, but I do have this:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2667/dsc00824j.jpg

(Nutrition = Terrible lecturer and over half the class failed).

Last edited:
Associate
Make sure you include research methods; this is key, talk about how psychology studies are carried out and the methods and how the data is processed and compare that to any of the natural sciences.

Also talk about data being accurate, if your data is repeatable by other researchers and talk about how science methods are proved in the same way.

Permabanned
This is true, though doesn't mean Philosophy isn't worthy of study.

Of course it is worthy of study by people who are too thick for Science. There need to be courses out there that any average yokel can study in order to make every individual feel special.

Soldato
The Scientific Method made Philosophy obsolete. It is no longer a valid intellectual subject.

You couldn't be more wrong. Your two sentences are almost self-contradictory. Even if you decide it has no practical application since the dawn of science (which I would disagree with as they deal with different areas), it doesn't mean it's not a valid intellectual subject.

Permabanned
Trolololol.

^^ Sorry, I think I just offended an average yokel that thinks he is special and better than everyone else.

Philosophy is such a dead subject that it is no longer taught in most schools anyway. Dance and Drama are far more valid any even intellectual subjects than Philosophy is anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ Sorry, I think I just offended an average yokel that thinks he is special and better than everyone else.

Philosophy is such a dead subject that it is no longer taught in most schools anyway. Dance and Drama are far more valid any even intellectual subjects than Philosophy is anymore.

I don't study philosophy as it happens, but your ad homien response sums up your contribution. Pseudo-intellectualism only goes so far, and scraping the barrel for insults speaks volumes.

Permabanned
Of course it is worthy of study by people who are too thick for Science. There need to be courses out there that any average yokel can study in order to make every individual feel special.

Lol.

I would hardly consider the likes of Richard Dawkins (ethics, Memes), Daniel Dennett (Consciousness Explained), Bertrand Russell (Principia Mathematica) that it is not an intellectual or academic subject or that they are too thick for science.

That is the funniest thing I have heard for some time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which your buddy Castiel does far more often than I.

I'm quite proud to be able to call Castiel friend, but I don't see what that's got to do with anything? :confused: I certainly haven't insulted anyone, you simply decided to post that philosophy is for retarded people who think they're better than anyone else.

Oh. The. Ironing.

Permabanned
Ethics, Consciousness and Mathematics are currently far better addressed and explored within the Sciences and Mathematics than they are within Philosophy.

The subject of Philosophy has been 'replaced' if you would have it by higher intellectual subjects.

I'm quite proud to be able to call Castiel friend

Pots and kettles tend to get along with one another very well. Ignorance is bliss as they often do say.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Good grief man, what are you; five? Go to bed, or something.

nout.jpg

Permabanned
Ethics, Consciousness and Mathematics are currently far better addressed and explored within the Sciences and Mathematics than they are within Philosophy.

The subject of Philosophy has been 'replaced' if you would have it by higher intellectual subjects..

so the likes of Dennett, Dawkins, Penrose, Dupre, Harding and so I can on are all obsolete and not intelligent enough for Science.....

Wow....just WOW!

Permabanned
Anyine want to have a go at answering the question ?

Sorry mate, we shouldn't derail your thread.

Chaps I think we should leave the debate (I use the word loosely) on the value of philosophy to the human condition for another thread and time.

The OP wants, and rightly so, a discussion relating to his question.

Back
Top Bottom