Crucial 32gb (2x16gb) cl16 3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B - Single Rank

Associate
So today I dropped my 2x16GB 3600 Corsair RAM into my system, to find its single rank Hynix stuff.

Not sure what to do now. Running with a 5600x, will single vs dual make much difference @ 1440p?

Associate
That's annoying. I was hoping to get these when next in stock for an ITX m/b (so dual rank advantageous) plus the QVL lists 3600 BALLISTIX 16GB 2Rx8 BL2K16G36C16U4BL2K DS Micron so its like a different item using the same part number.

The perf diff in real life hopefully isnt noticeable. Benchmarks may show 10% fps between CPUs but with RAM seems unlikely - real differences come from generation leaps with GPUs.

Associate
You'll get more real world performance if you have 2 dual rank sticks compared to 2 single rank sticks, even if the timings are quite a bit worse. I would probably avoid crucial ballistix from now on, or go for 4 of them or the 2x32 (64) kit to ensure dual rank.

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed to play around with timing and overclocking the ram.

it doesn’t seem want to go 3800Mhz. Not sure if it is the cpu or the ram.

but I managed to get the timing to 14-17-17-17 @3600MHz

Soldato
Just as another comparison point... I ordered a set of the BL16G36C16U4B, CPUz reports the memory sticks are dual rank - which is exactly what I wanted being on an ITX board. It's poor of Crucial to have 2 completely different configurations of this memory with the same part number.

Associate
Just as another comparison point... I ordered a set of the BL16G36C16U4B, CPUz reports the memory sticks are dual rank - which is exactly what I wanted being on an ITX board. It's poor of Crucial to have 2 completely different configurations of this memory with the same part number.

I think the full part number can tell M16FE1 (DR) or M8FB1(SR). But most people can only find that out when have it in hand.

Associate
So today I dropped my 2x16GB 3600 Corsair RAM into my system, to find its single rank Hynix stuff.

Not sure what to do now. Running with a 5600x, will single vs dual make much difference @ 1440p?

Edit-
I originally said I was thinking about swapping my 2x16GB single rank sticks for 4x8GB single rank sticks, so it would effectively run in dual rank mode. But having looked into it further my motherboard is daisychain, so will be much happier running 2 dimms and opposed to 4. I'm just going to keep what I've got and play with the timings.

I don't seem to remember ram being this complex in my Intel days...

Last edited:
Associate

test done with a 3090 and 1080p.
Problem is if you set up two systems and try to guess which one has different ram speeds, you wont know.
so the average user with various different hardware is unlikely again to have any difference.
and then again, you need to do a lot of tweaks to tune things.
and also some games see no benefit even with these tuned high end hardware.

its why I simply bought 2x8gb 3600mhz cl16 and call it a day.
Not worth the hassle especially at 1440p ;)

Associate

It makes a big difference if you artificially restrict the single ranked setup to the same speed and timings as the dual rank kit as techspot have in their article. This is not the case in the real world, a 2 x 8gb single rank kit of equal quality to a 2 x 16gb dual rank kit will clock higher or achieve tighter timings therefore negating the dual rank bonus. The balance is usually very slightly in favour of the 2 x 8gb kit in this situation. Without optimising memory timings they are both artificially throttled anyway by shoddy tRRD / tFAW timings so you're just comparing one armed men in ass kicking competitions.

Back
Top Bottom