Crusader Kings 3 - Paradox Interactive

Associate
I guess I'd better start playing CK2 then to try and get some value for money out of it before I no doubt purchase CK3 :)

Although I do agree with Darujhistan, after pre-ordering IR I'm unlikely to do the same with CK3

Soldato
Wonder if they will do the same tack of starting with a smaller land mass and adding to it via DLC. Having spent so many hours in CK2, being restricted to a small map again and going through the same DLC cycle would seem a bit weird, but we all know their DLC strategy don't we.

Soldato
Wonder if they will do the same tack of starting with a smaller land mass and adding to it via DLC. Having spent so many hours in CK2, being restricted to a small map again and going through the same DLC cycle would seem a bit weird, but we all know their DLC strategy don't we.

I think India & West China will be missing, but these areas were added after release on CK2 also.

Soldato
Exactly, so if CK3 is essentially going to be what looks like a graphical update with fancy 3D animation etc, but starting from scratch in terms of all the DLC CK2 had, then I think I'll be one of those thinking why should I abandon CK2 to start all over again, knowing what their DLC gouging is like, unless there is a radical update in the mechanics of the game.

Soldato
Why do they have to make all the characters & portraits so goddamn ugly and out of place. They did the same thing with IR. Bah! Luckily modding might save this aspect of the game.

Soldato
Exactly, so if CK3 is essentially going to be what looks like a graphical update with fancy 3D animation etc, but starting from scratch in terms of all the DLC CK2 had, then I think I'll be one of those thinking why should I abandon CK2 to start all over again, knowing what their DLC gouging is like, unless there is a radical update in the mechanics of the game.

You forgot the other mechanics the game is coming with. CK2 & CK3 are not EU4 or Imperator.
CK2/3 are Dynastic Grand Strategy RPGs. The new mechanics about inheritance and gene pool are the biggest changes to the game.
How hard have you tried to pass genius or quick down your family and miserably failed 95 out of 100 times?

How many times you had a female ruler getting married someone who had good stats and no "small print" like claims to other territories, having clean family tree. Yet when you child inherited your assets, suddenly was found under different liege, of a far away land, with the inheritance having skewed and screwed your whole game? Those things exist in CK2 after 10 years development. Pointed by the Hanrik that things work with glue and hope. CK3 has a clean slate, new engine (which Imperator even borrowed) and new code.

Also the game going to be free if people have Xbox Game Pass, which probably going to include DLCs also.

Soldato
FYI a detailed article here about CK3
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/crusader-kings-3-annnounced-release-window-first-details

Few things we learn.
a) The size of the game is 4 times bigger, however hasn't added on the actual map anything new. Now Baronies etc are parts of the map not just the icon. In similar fashion to Cities in Imperator, against the provinces.

b) All the leaders across the map are playable, there won't be locked rulers requiring DLCs like Sword of Islam or Rajas. Everyone can be picked on the base game.

c) As above, this applies to religions also, even the ones we could make ourselves (through the new heresy mechanics). Also this part of the game is expanded a lot, with different options from allowing cannibalism to homosexuality.

d) Cadet branches of the Dynasties are possible.

e) "Way of Life" DLC is included into the base game and heavily expanded with skill trees etc. That is also directly affected by the new Renown (Prestige) and Devotion (Piety) replacement, which is used to level your skill tree.

f) The armies have been changed a bit. There is a distinction between Levies & trained troops with various changes here and customization of proportions, flanks etc.

Soldato
CK3 looks good.

On CK2, did they ever release an update to allow the UI to be increased in size? The game looks good at 1080 but when on a 4k monitor quite a lot of the writing is very small and the UI doesn't seem scaleable.

Soldato
Another other article with more details.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/paradox-answers-12-major-questions-about-crusader-kings-3

What I like of all are few obvious things. Like you deal with 1 "priest" which is your Archbishop.

Also the new "Way of Life" content looks far superior.
7. Crusader Kings 3 greatly expands on the previous game's excellent roleplaying mechanics
Lifestyles, a popular feature from Crusader Kings 2's excellent Way of Life expansion, are being folded into the base game of Crusader Kings 3 and greatly expanded. Each character will pick a lifestyle (War, Religion, Intrigue, etc), and each will have three RPG-like talent trees full of perks and unlockable traits you can progress down. For example, a religious character might become a Prophet, making it cheaper for them to start a new religion.

Crusader Kings 3 won't only feature new tools for roleplayers, but new incentives as well.

"Stress is a new system that encourages you to roleplay," Fåhreus says. "In [Crusader Kings 2] you didn't have to care about your own personality traits. So the idea in CK3 is that when you act against your character's personality, which you're still free to do, you gain Stress. So there's no 'Stressed' trait; it's a percentage, essentially. When you go up a Stress level, some negative things happen, so you have a little mental break. When it reaches the max, you probably go insane or something like that... your character will have serious problems."

So for example, if your character has the trait 'Cruel', but you try to be nice to everyone, you might have a little bit of an existential crisis.
Haha :D

Soldato
Today PDX announced that the game is released on Sept 1st.

However I feel the price is pretty steep. £80 for the deluxe version including 1 major expansion and 2 flavour DLCs and £50 for the standard version.

Soz saw the prices in Euro. £42 base game and £58 Deluxe.

I think going to wait until user reviews are out and not pre-order, ofc that might be "last famous words". :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Fifty quid for the base game? Nope. No way. Not a chance.

Soz was Euro. £41.99/€49.99/$49.99 for base and £57.99/€74.99/$74.99 the deluxe. My fault.

However is still a 11% extra for the Deluxe in Euro compared to GBP.

FYI In Norway costs 352 NOK which is around €31.88!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Deluxe is 515 NOK €46.65).

In addition they announced the other pricing. $30 per expansion, $7 per flavour pack.
Ridiculous. That's it. No purchase for me until next year when sold on discount.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even 42 quid is too much for a base Paradox game nowadays, I certainly am wise to their dlc strategy now and no mistake. Yeah, they do make great games, but I was more than happy to stay a couple of dlc's behind and get them on sale with EU4 and Stellaris, as well as the original CK2. By then the base game is usually heavily discounted as well. They have unfortunately just become a bit too greedy for me I'm afraid. With CK3 especially seeing as CK2 is still such a fantastic game, hell, i still play EU3.

Soldato
Even 42 quid is too much for a base Paradox game nowadays, I certainly am wise to their dlc strategy now and no mistake. Yeah, they do make great games, but I was more than happy to stay a couple of dlc's behind and get them on sale with EU4 and Stellaris, as well as the original CK2. By then the base game is usually heavily discounted as well. They have unfortunately just become a bit too greedy for me I'm afraid. With CK3 especially seeing as CK2 is still such a fantastic game, hell, i still play EU3.

Yeah given the announced prices, and DLC/Expansion prices in addition to some countries (Norway of all places) get it at half the price I will wait when is discounted.

Soldato
Those ridiculously biased prices make me want to boycott the game altogether to be honest, though probably applies across the board, not just Paradox. But with their dlc strategy on top it really is taking the mick.

Back
Top Bottom