CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
I'd rather SC my car than have the ST though, not much of a fan of Ford in honesty.

This is the thing, an ST/VXR etc will be newer and as good/better/nearly as good (depending on POV) - but not as interesting to you.

In that case, keep the CRZ and wait for something else interesting to pop up on the horizon (eg GT86)

Can't type for toffee
Don
Depends how heavy your foot is. I test drove one and it was quite nice - all Mk.2 MPSes come with everything included in the spec afaik so there's no "hunting for the right one".

I don't expect it'll be anywhere near your CRZ in fuel economy but compared to it's rivals (Focus ST, Golf R32, GTI Ed.30, Megane RS etc.) it's going to be somewhere in the middle.

Anywhere nearby you could take one for a test drive?

yeah they're nice like and come with a load of toys as standard :p
Double check tho as there were a couple of batches that had no satnav.

I have always liked these.

A quick look on auto trader could get me a 2011 one with around 30-40K for £11-12K.

Are they ruinous on fuel? I know they can be tuned well and have a good spec.

They're not the most economic but certainly not the worst.
They do have a good following, a Cobb accesport and a decent forum and your set for remaps and such, mod's theres a few big US companies that are happy to ship here and may even mark down customs values if you ask nicely.

Have a look over here plenty help and info.

Associate
£5.7k to supercharge a CRZ?

"You cannot polish a turd, but you can sprinkle glitter on it".

Personally, that does not sounds like a very good "bang per buck" option to me. Unique? Perhaps, but if you are at all concerned about the financial implications of going down that route then you shouldn't even be thinking about it.

If the £5.7k is the cost to install the S/C, I can assure you that's not the end of it, merely the start.

If you sold the CRZ and added in your £5.7k you could have something far more enjoyable and involving than a 200bhp Hybrid Honda albeit perhaps less "unique", if that's what floats your boat.

Soldato
If I was you Nath, I wouldn't spend the money on an SC Kit and just keep it as it is. Use it for a holiday or save for a "german-barge"? ;)

If you do start modifying the thing, then lighten it, better suspension, brakes, etc. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it very hard to believe it will hold those economy figures. Plus it will be putting things under a lot more stress than normal.

Id forget it and buy something that has that performance all ready. Which is most hot hatches infact.

Soldato
I'm probably do supercharge it. Who cares if you're not going to get the money back? We never do with car mods!

If selling it and using the funds for something else, TBH I'm not sure what I'd buy for £14,000. Most of what I'd want is out of budget. Would probably get a Focus ST, and try to get one that's already had the Mountune kit fitted.

How much is a genuine Mugen CRZ?

Soldato
OP
How much is a genuine Mugen CRZ?

Anything between 18to22K from what I have seen.

Thats with the kits (which iv got), the SC (which I want), and sometimes wheels (which im not going to get, £800 each!).

However they come up very rarely.

There was one recently in black, full kit and SC'ed for 18K with 20k on the clock from a private seller.

Associate
The GT86 sounds like a good call. £5.7k is a lot to spend just to get up to 200bhp with a non standard car.

Going by your car history these probably aren't your cup of tea, but are some of the alternatives trying to stick to your no older than 2011 rule:

Megane RS250/265
Scirocco 2.0T
Focus ST
Octavia vRS
Mazda 3 MPS
Audi TT 2.0T

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Save it and wait for the new 300bhp CTR.

the more I think about it, this.

I love your CRZ. whilst its outward appearance isn't exactly to my taste, on the occasions I have driven it in anger, it has a great chassis and responsive steering which I think is on par with most current hot hatches.

I am a big fan of the seating position and the car certainly doesn't feel like a car for the market it was intended for. To me, it was the ideal car for you at the time, but realistically it isn't going to massively alter your opinion of the car at 140bhp or 200bhp.

summary: whilst the prospect of keeping a car you love and altering it to freshen it up is cool, I dont personally think that it will change it drastically enough to make you think that £5K was a wise investment.

Only thing is that a SC CRZ would be special. An SC CRZ with full mugen kit, even more so.

a new CTR is the logical step if you want to stay with a honda/looking for a hot hatch. but it wont have that specialness/rarity factor that the CRZ has.

Back
Top Bottom