1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current good Washing Machines

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by bcjames, Sep 13, 2017.

1. bcjames

Soldato

Hey,

So a couple of weeks after moving house, our washing machine has gone pop. Repair chap says that it's not really worth repairing the Indesit washer/dryer we currently have.

The new house has a utility room, so we can have a separate washer and drier now.

Searching around the forum finds some old threads with LG as the top washer, but is that still the case? Miele would be nice but are most likely out of budget at the moment.

Something around £400 max £500 is ideal.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. Maccapacca

Don

I'd just get a combined purchase and 5yr guarantee from John Lewis, their CS is excellent and the machines are similar price to everywhere else, 5yrs guaranteed no hassle.

3. bcjames

Soldato

A long warranty is definitely good, but a £400 machine plus the JL warranty bumps the price up quite a lot. And I'd rather have one that doesn't go wrong anyway :D

Spotted this Samsung on JL with an extended warranty.

4. a1ex2001

Sgarrista

If I could have a non-integrated washing machine I'd get the best LG direct drive I could afford they are fantastic, dryer wise if you can vent it externally get a cheapo white knight, if it needs to condense get a good one ie Bosch as the cheap ones don't condense very well and will leave you with moisture in the house.

5. panthro

Capodecina

Get an LG, mine is fantastic and really quiet. Cost £550 from Costco and has a 9kg drum, but I believe there are cheaper models.

6. bcjames

Soldato

The tumble drier we get later will definitely be a vented one. We have 2 external walls in the utility to send it out of.

LG have a few models around our price point.

7. M1k3H

Hitman

8. the shadow

Soldato

John Lewis reduced to clear red tickets :cool:

9. bcjames

Soldato

In store?

10. the shadow

Soldato

yep only in store have a look in a few if you have time some

11. bcjames

Soldato

Leicester Highcross is just around the corner, so I'll take a wander up to JL after work. Thanks for the heads up.

12. booyaka

Capodecina

13. Jamesyboyjim

Mobster

Had a Beko washing machine for years a good 8 years, always overfilled it as it was only a 5kg drum yet it never skipped a beat!
    In that time frame my mum went through two Bosch machines a Zanussi and a Hotpoint (the Hotpoint is current).

14. 4K8KW10

Gangster

AEG is the brand ;)

15. howiepoohs

Mobster

Indesit are old Hotpoint but they have improved the quality. I've had one for two years without an issue and my partner also has had one slightly longer, three years. I did get a free extended warranty from my work though but not had to use it.

I don't think it is worth spending the extra on Bosch or AEG these days when you get such good quality from lower cost brands.

16. bcjames

Soldato

Improved since what sort of date? My two year old Indesit is destined for the tip after it's landed me a sufficiently chunky bill. It's a brand I actively looked for when we needed a cheap washer/drier, but one I had set myself to avoid given recent experiences.

17. 4K8KW10

Gangster

I did a very deep research on the specifications and got a 1600 rpm spinner with A+++ -50% for 600 euros only from AEG. All the rest were inferior either in the spinner speed or the electricity bill efficiency.

18. howiepoohs

Mobster

Honestly? Since the early 90's lol. I used to sell them in those days and they were shocking. As were Hotpoint, seals would fail, doors, motors etc. AEG and Bosch in those days were head and shoulders above the competition. These days the gap seems less wide as I have had great experiences with both mine and my partner's Indesit machines.

AEG used to just be posh versions on Electolux/Zanussi and used the same quality of parts. Perhaps this has improved.

19. bcjames

Soldato

Unfortunately, honestly. Our fridge is an Indesit, bought the same time as the washing machine, and it's fine at the fridgey things it does. This washing machine has always been pretty average at best, but this is the second call out and fixing it via either the Indesit warranty that only covers parts, or via our local repair man, has now tipped against saving the thing.

I had heard the same about AEG as well, but would be interested to know if that is different now.

20. 4K8KW10

Gangster

My AEG is with 5 years Full Warranty plus 10 years extended Motor Warranty.

The old Gorenje which has worked since 2005ish is still okeyish and lurking around.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017