*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Soldato
I spent much of my time looking for notes and recordings as I found that they enhanced the setting which is, as you say, definitely the high point of the game.

Yeah, I'll totally have to do that if I stick with it because while I find the setting to be really good, I find all the rest unremarkable so far, as much as I don't want to be a naysayer only a couple of hours in:(

The driving is bad, the combat is mediocre and the on-rails dialogue bores me, unlike W3 (and I didn't even think that game was perfect). Can't gel with it yet, feels too shallow.

I genuinely want to appreciate it for what it is but it might be just that what it is is not really my cup of tea.

There is promise here but my biggest enjoyment stopper so far is the performance. I can't, for the love of me, lock it at 60fps with a 2070S and an OC'd 4790k... Even if I use all medium, no RTX and DLSS on, I still get drops and it feels janky:/ It doesn't look good enough at those settings to warrant this performance.... There must be something wrong here.

Associate
Yeah, I'll totally have to do that if I stick with it because while I find the setting to be really good, I find all the rest unremarkable so far, as much as I don't want to be a naysayer only a couple of hours in:(

The driving is bad, the combat is mediocre and the on-rails dialogue bores me, unlike W3 (and I didn't even think that game was perfect). Can't gel with it yet, feels too shallow.

I genuinely want to appreciate it for what it is but it might be just that what it is is not really my cup of tea.

There is promise here but my biggest enjoyment stopper so far is the performance. I can't, for the love of me, lock it at 60fps with a 2070S and an OC'd 4790k... Even if I use all medium, no RTX and DLSS on, I still get drops and it feels janky:/ It doesn't look good enough at those settings to warrant this performance.... There must be something wrong here.

It could be one of the best games in the world. But when a game feels janky it really spoils everything. I just can't play games that are janky.

It is good to see more patches coming like the one that just dropped. It makes me feel that one day, I might find it fun to sit down and play.

Man of Honour
Indeed, how can they output so little in such a time span

I think it's another result of the mismanagement of the project. The project was fragmented and disorganised and the people working on it were demoralised and wildly overworked. Documentation would doubtless have suffered as a result. Some of them left the project, either because they were temps or because they got a job with better working conditions. A fragmented, disorganised, badly documented project in which a fair few of the people working on it are no longer working on it is a very bad foundation for patching.

Soldato
Also I turned off the mini map, but its very hard to find where you need to go due to the sheer layout of Night city, do you guys keep mini map on or have a better way of getting to an objective, I keep having to go to main map, but perhaps I should turn mini map back on?

Minimap is one of your "augmentations" and the game is definitely designed to be played with it - having to open the big map all the time interrupts the gameplay too much and the city is too complex to navigate without a map at all, imho.

If you said you have quadcore I would have told you right away not to bother. Cyberpunk requires 6 core (ideally 8) for 60fps (and for 60fps + RT, it needs fast CPU like Ryzen 5X or latest intel). It is what it is. You should wait with the game until you have better CPU.

Soldato
If you said you have quadcore I would have told you right away not to bother. Cyberpunk requires 6 core (ideally 8) for 60fps (and for 60fps + RT, it needs fast CPU like Ryzen 5X or latest intel). It is what it is. You should wait with the game until you have better CPU.

Oh, ok. No idea why it would be so core hungry but what can you do.

Back to Days Gone, I guess, as I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon. My PC handles pretty much everything I play and I play too little now to justify the cost, especially for this game so far.

Associate
I think it's another result of the mismanagement of the project. The project was fragmented and disorganised and the people working on it were demoralised and wildly overworked. Documentation would doubtless have suffered as a result. Some of them left the project, either because they were temps or because they got a job with better working conditions. A fragmented, disorganised, badly documented project in which a fair few of the people working on it are no longer working on it is a very bad foundation for patching.

Yeah I guess that would certainly slow things down :)

Just hope they can get can a move on and recover some of that rep back.. it's a decent game all things considered imo.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
2 months for a minor patch makes me sad.
Agreed. At this rate it will take them 3+ years to get it to where we/they want. Oh well, I am in no rush to get back in. Won’t install it until next expansion is out and even then I will wait a few months at least for some patches.

Associate
Just found Johnny Silverhand's Porsche. I have played about 83hours and never seen it before...

Finished the story months ago, but there's loads of side missions to do afterwards.
Good game but way too much dialogue.

Last edited:
Soldato
A video comparing i7 4790K with modern i3 10100F, both have 4 cores, 8 threads, but i3 is noticeably faster despite running 600mhz slower.

I suppose there were very decent IPC gains since 4790 days.
That said even with that modern i3, there are still few drops below 60 when driving. 6-8 core really is ideal today, for games like Cyberpunk, WD Legion, Kingdom Come etc.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
A video comparing i7 4790K with modern i3 10100F, both have 4 cores, 8 threads, but i3 is noticeably faster despite running 600mhz slower.

I suppose there were very decent IPC gains since 4790 days.
That said even with that modern i3, there are still few drops below 60 when driving. 6-8 core really is ideal today, for games like Cyberpunk, WD Legion, Kingdom Come etc.
That because it is 1080p. That said I do think 6 core should be standard now. Prices are cheap enough.

Man of Honour

Interesting to see the dips at times on the 4790K even though the averages aren't hugely different in CP2077 - that said 32GB 2133MHz RAM is probably more of a disadvantage on the older platform than the newer - 16GB 2400MHz with better timings would probably have evened it up somewhat though the i3 probably would have still lead it by 10-11%.

For games like CP2077 my 6 core 12 thread Xeon is a huge advantage over my older 4 core 8 thread 4820K - I've not precisely benchmarked it but in some areas of the game it is like 25% or so.

Soldato
That because it is 1080p. That said I do think 6 core should be standard now. Prices are cheap enough.
When comparing CPUs you always want to test in resolution where GPU is not the bottleneck, CPU is.
If CPU cannot get to stable 60+fps in 1080p, it will not get there in any other resolution either, regardless of GPU.

Soldato
Well, they still haven't fixed the quest bug preventing me from completing the game. But, at least they've improved the visual appearance of the rocks. Yay.

Soldato
Of course there were IPC gains but the 4790k still manages just fine in most games.

Anyways, managed to smooth it out somewhat, the drops weren't severe but annoying. Only while driving through certain parts or really intensive places outdoors.

Last two missions were pretty enjoyable and it gets a bit better now. That said, some elements are just embarassing. 6-core CPU required when there's no basic AI and characters just casually clip through cars or elevator doors if those happen to be in the way, like Jackie went straight through my car at the beginning of the Pickup. The city is fantastic but not even food stalls are interactive, it's really damn flat.

I'll persevere with what drops are there and have my share of fun but no way am I upgrading for this. If I'll be upgrading, I'll do everything at once, GPU as well.

Man of Honour
The city is fantastic but not even food stalls are interactive, it's really damn flat.

The NPC AI and interactivity isn't even improved on a nearly 20 year old game like City of Heroes :s

(Which also have a much better costume implementation albeit no RPG mechanics for that and much better skills implementation - well they actually work as described).

Back
Top Bottom