Cyclist plague spreading

Soldato
It has happened to me, twice..once it was totally my fault as I wasn't paying full attention and listening to my ipod..the car in front broke very hard as someone ran across the road in front of him and I went straight into him...there was no damage to me or the car and I just needed to fix a slightly buckled wheel. The second time I was cut up by a driver trying to force his way through a narrow carriageway, I didn't brake in time and fell off avoiding him..this was his fault for being a div and not waiting until it was safer to over take, and it was also partially my fault for not braking sooner when it was clear he was forcing his way through regardless.

Sometimes accidents happen, but rarely are they entirely unavoidable and if you hit a vehicle as opposed to the vehicle hitting you then you do have some responsibility for that, perhaps not all the responsibility, but at least some.

Things like a driver overtaking and then immediately turning left (without indication or without due care) is not the same as what I was saying about the incident in the OP...in that case the vehicle is colliding with you, not the other way around. And I agree that some road users require special consideration, this includes Cyclists and Pedestrians (it also includes large vehicles such as Buses and Lorries, which some cyclists seem to think they can pass on the inside and not risk getting hurt).

I am not really arguing for the sake of it, but I do think that their is another perspective with regards personal responsibility that needs to be considered here.

Thank you for making what you are thinking clear, because it wasn't coming across the same way as above previously.

Associate
I am not really arguing for the sake of it, but I do think that their is another perspective with regards personal responsibility that needs to be considered here.

Absolutely agree with this, and in an ideal world we wouldn't have to worry about adjusting our own course and speed to make up for other peoples mistakes because they wouldn't happen.

Unfortunately we live in a world where people drive like morons. It is an absolute necessity of good roadcraft to be aware of situations happening around you, even before they've started to develop.

Sadly a lot of cyclists seem to have the attitude that because that car has done something bad to them, they shouldn't HAVE to make up for it, and that is when you have an incident. Maybe they shouldn't HAVE to, but they certainly NEED to.

When I am overtaken on my bike I have my head on a swivel, my hand covering the brake lever and anticipate the left hook. The car shouldn't be in your peripheral vision, you should know where it is. To just carry on regardless, listening to an iPod (really?!), hoping that the motorist clears you is just stupid and asking for an accident, whatever mode of transport you're operating.

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;24937327 said:
He's right though and you're no better and, for completeness, nor am I.

It's just <pre-defined stance> versus <pre-defined stance> over and over and over and over again.
Well to be specific, this thread started out as an anti cyclist thread in sentiment rather than a whiny cyclist thread. Naturally it's GD and an internet forum so descended into the usual crap.

Besides I don't "troll" one side or the other. When I'm stupid enough to post in the monthly anti cyclist threads it is with, usually, a balanced point of view as both a motorist and cyclist.

Soldato
Well to be specific, this thread started out as an anti cyclist thread in sentiment rather than a whiny cyclist thread. Naturally it's GD and an internet forum so descended into the usual crap.

Besides I don't "troll" one side or the other. When I'm stupid enough to post in the monthly anti cyclist threads it is with, usually, a balanced point of view as both a motorist and cyclist.

This is GD. It doesn't matter.

:p;)

Associate
I also do not believe that the majority of cyclists in the UK have third party insurance, some do, but as most cyclists are either young or casual commuters, it is unlikely that they have specific insurance for riding their cycle other than perhaps insurance for theft and damage to their cycle through their house insurance.

From what I can find british cycling has 75,000 members, that is 75,000 cyclists with £10million third party liability insurance.

In addition, if they're bike has insurance for theft and damage through their house insurance, then from that statement they have home insurance. As far as I am aware most home insurance policy's provide liability cover which could be used in the event of a collision.

Even if a cyclist does have no insurance cover whatsoever, they are not absolved from any liability they just don't have a company to pay whatever they owe. Any damage would have to come out of their pocket. That fact the cyclists generally cause far less damage then cars in a collision is probably why insurance has not been made a requirement for cycling yet.

Associate
this thread is a mess, i've had a very similar situation to the accident described, where i've been in the right lane so I can turn right ahead, an irate driver overtakes and pulls in <1metre in front and brakes, 'to teach you a lesson'

how can that be the cyclists fault?, its the same as a car pulling out of a sideroad right infront of you at the very last second

Soldato
how can that be the cyclists fault?, its the same as a car pulling out of a sideroad right infront of you at the very last second

But if you hit them regardless its your fault.

The rule strikes me as idiotic but that's how it is, if its a **** rule for motorists should be the same for cyclists.

Soldato
But if you hit them regardless its your fault.

The rule strikes me as idiotic but that's how it is, if its a **** rule for motorists should be the same for cyclists.

no its not. i had a guy pull out of a junction infront of me (both in a car) and i t-boned him. was a 100% claim on his insurance.

Caporegime
Why has the numberplate been obscured in the photograph? Seems very dodgy to me.

do you ride? he was probably going around 20mph and bikes don't stop as fast as cars can
but we can't know what happened.

Bicycles stop a lot faster than cars, p = mv so for any given velocity bikes have way, way less momentum than a car and so stop much faster even with the reduced braking force that 2 small tyres have compared to 4 wide ones with a lot more pressure on them.

Last edited:
Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24936184 said:
Also, for any given speed a bicycle has a great stopping distance than a car so immediately pulling in and braking is going to lead to an accident that the cyclist is unlikely to be able to afford.

And that stopping distance increases massively in the wet.

Man of Honour
I've just been past the Britannia Stadium Stadium and there's only one reporter so not that big a story.
It might not be for this incident either.
I actually rode slow past him and the cameraman in hope he would call me over to ask my opinion but it didn't happen.

wmb

wmb

Associate
And what about in the wet?

Bikes with rim brakes don't even stop faster than a car in the dry (ones with disk brakes might but it may also involve a trip over the handlebars).

Also you have to keep your wheels and balance under control when stopping sharply on a bike (+ unclipping to avoid the inevitable sideways fall with cleats). I don't think these issue apply to car drivers who just have to jam the midde pedal down hard to come to a halt.

Caporegime
And what about in the wet?

Wet or dry doesn't make a difference to the equation.

Bikes with rim brakes don't even stop faster than a car in the dry (ones with disk brakes might but it may also involve a trip over the handlebars).

Brakes don't come into it, rim or disk brakes will stop a bike wheel completely in my experience at 20mph, the size of the wheel/tyre makes the difference.

Caporegime
Bicycles stop a lot faster than cars, p = mv so for any given velocity bikes have way, way less momentum than a car and so stop much faster even with the reduced braking force that 2 small tyres have compared to 4 wide ones with a lot more pressure on them.

but you cant brake as hard, as your wheels will skid, and if you so much as turn the bars a smidge you're going to do a flying dismount.

Why has the numberplate been obscured in the photograph? Seems very dodgy to me.

because the paper/others aren't allowed to publish random peoples plates

Brakes don't come into it, rim or disk brakes will stop a bike wheel completely in my experience at 20mph, the size of the wheel/tyre makes the difference.

complete stopping your wheel at 20mph would definitely make your braking distance longer than a car....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom