D800 official release

Soldato
I definitely want a dslr with video, but my problem is that its a new field for me. Any suggestions on places to learn? Something along the lines of TalkPhotography?

Associate
get d7000 as body for video

:)

Not that I'm big on video but found it to be not great on the D7000!

Depends on what your filming! Interviews, scenes panning all good.

Little kids running around or subjects moving towards/away for you at a pace in auto it can't keep up and 24fps was noticable imo.

I happy I got the D700 but I hope the price don't drop too much on them!!

Soldato
that's not the point of having 36MP sensors. 36MP is used for absolutely massive prints
No it's not. Massive prints are designed to be viewed from greater distances so don't need high resolution. Unless you're printing enormous posters designed to be viewed from six inches away, what's the point?

i wished i had gone with nikon. Canon has crap choices of bodies!

Well it appears they're swapping. Nikon had a good "all-rounder" in the D700 with a FF sensor yet good AF and FPS for action/sports whilst Canon had one or the other in the 7D for action or 5D2 for studio/portraiture.

Now it appears Nikon have gone more towards the 5D2's traditional market with the D800, with silly megapixels and lower FPS whilst, if the rumours are true, Canon are bridging the gap twixt the 5D2 and 7D with the 5D3.

Soldato
The draw to this camera is strong :( ... hoping for an amazing spec D400 at lower price announced before this one is launched to save me some pennies.

Soldato
The draw to this camera is strong :( ... hoping for an amazing spec D400 at lower price announced before this one is launched to save me some pennies.

I'm being drawn to this camera so much, thatbim looking for a way how to get one from states where it is £500 cheaper...of course it need tone a way I won't pay extra tax on it over border ;(

Soldato
Looks like a decent bit of kit, would be nice to see sraw though. Crop mode isn't a replacement for that, and 36MP isn't something I'd be using all the time. It'll be interesting to see what Canon have in response. I have a feeling I'll be sticking with the 1Ds2 for a while yet!

Soldato
No it's not. Massive prints are designed to be viewed from greater distances so don't need high resolution. Unless you're printing enormous posters designed to be viewed from six inches away, what's the point?

Well it appears they're swapping. Nikon had a good "all-rounder" in the D700 with a FF sensor yet good AF and FPS for action/sports whilst Canon had one or the other in the 7D for action or 5D2 for studio/portraiture.

Now it appears Nikon have gone more towards the 5D2's traditional market with the D800, with silly megapixels and lower FPS whilst, if the rumours are true, Canon are bridging the gap twixt the 5D2 and 7D with the 5D3.

The only handicap I can see over the D700 is FPS, other than sports photographers or may birders etc. I doubt that's a deal breaker.

Soldato
Nikon apparently are claiming still its 1.5 stops better high ISO then the D700.
No conformation if they mean full res vs full res, or with the D800 down sampled.

Soldato
^^^
If it's full res Vs full res, then that's D3s territory before you even down size!
Sounds a little too good for me at the minute, however I expect the D800E to be 0.5-1.0 stops better than the normal D800.

Soldato
^^^
If it's full res Vs full res, then that's D3s territory before you even down size!
Sounds a little too good for me at the minute, however I expect the D800E to be 0.5-1.0 stops better than the normal D800.

Well to be fair, maybe tech has just moved on that far and fast, a lot can happen in a few years!

Similar to the D700 announcement, most people said it would be a colossal failure.

Caporegime
OP

The only important thing the D800 doesn't have relative to D4 is the high speed shooting, but then the D700 was no different. The D700 was a slower camera, but had equal AF and metering abilities with the same sensor. thus the sports pros went with the D3.
Not any different this time round, the d800 appears to have identical internals as the D4, but with a high resolution sensor.
So it is not fair at all to say that Nikon has made the D700 replacement like the Canon 5Dmk2, quite the opposite.
The D800 is now a very cheap D3x replacement with even higher resolution and D4 internals, i.e. it is a D4x that costs far less.
To put it another way, the D800 should have better AF and metering than the Canon 1DsMKiii and have a much better sensor in a smaller, lighter, cheaper box. How is that anything like a Canon 5D?

Now Canon may well play catch up and release a 5Dmk3 with the same internals as the it's 1D-X counterpart, but that is not the same as Nikon making 5D type camera.

Caporegime
OP
Well to be fair, maybe tech has just moved on that far and fast, a lot can happen in a few years!

Similar to the D700 announcement, most people said it would be a colossal failure.

Who the heck said the D700 would be a failure???:confused::confused::confused: no one with half a brain. A Nikon D3 in a smaller lighter body for half the price, who would not want one of those? The only discussion was pros annoyed that they could get a D3 at half price as D700, and much debate on if the D700 would steal D3 sales. It didn't by the way, those who needed 10Fps still got a D3, and the d700 was often purchased as a backup camera, so Nikon were more than happy with sales of both lines.
The D800 has moved to a high res sensor simply so comparisons with the 5Dmk3 are on even playing ground. It also made sense for a studio and landscape camera.

Soldato
RAW files on these will be about 75 megs or so. Not been mentioned yet, but i'd imagine that would mean people who typically shoot with a 4 gig card in on their d700's would need at least a 16gig card for a decent amount of shots before changing. I currently have 3 x 4gig cards and 4 x 8 gig cards with my d700 but i suspect i would need to replace them for this camera...or just use sd as well.

also, why would anyone spending upwards of £2k bother to get the D800 vanilla model when the D800E is just a few hundred more, and seems to offer much better detail. I honestly don't know if i'm interested in these cameras at the moment...I love my d700 so much and i've just dropped £1,500 on a 70-200 vr 2, but i know if i WERE to get one, it'd be the E version.

Man of Honour
also, why would anyone spending upwards of £2k bother to get the D800 vanilla model when the D800E is just a few hundred more, and seems to offer much better detail. I honestly don't know if i'm interested in these cameras at the moment...I love my d700 so much and i've just dropped £1,500 on a 70-200 vr 2, but i know if i WERE to get one, it'd be the E version.

Because the AA filter does have a purpose...I think I'd get the vanilla model myself, removing moire in processing is very possible but can be time consuming and while the D800E will produce greater detail in images, they're both still 36MPs, extra detail is somewhat relative at that point as either will better than D3x and that was already good enough. My view is it's a little extra detail I don't need for some extra hassle occassionally.

Also, there's the outstanding question about exactly how many lenses will resolve that level of detail. Personally, if I needed that level of detail I'd be buying a Phase1 back for the hasselblad...

Soldato

the d800 is still a fantastic all rounder though. still has a great AF system

Man of Honour
the d800 is still a fantastic all rounder though. still has a great AF system

Sums it up, 4fps is slightly disappointing but that's all really. It's a 36MP camera with at least the D700s low light performance, great AF and metering and some fancy video options, that's really impressive. As a few sites have commentated, DSLR development has somewhat plateaued now, there's not much genuinely new because everything was pretty good already, it's all incremental. In that climate the D800 is impressive.

While the D800 is probably the camera I'll buy, the D400 (or whatever) is the camera which is more interesting technically I feel. What can Nikon do with the DX sensor now - there isn't a crop body from anybody with really impressive high ISO performance (ie. none are better than the D700 was 3 years ago).

Back
Top Bottom