Soldato
OP
Finally got my new SFX-L PSU but unlucky me it has a horrendous amount of coil whine, like really bad! Better on some games but on the games im mostly playing right now, Mechwarrior 5 and AC Valhalla its bad. It's more of a electrical buzz mixed with a high pitched whine but gets really loud. Think i will order another unit and return this one.

Shame really as its a nice psu! Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Soldato
OP
Got my second Asus Loki 850w SFX-L PSU today and yet again coil whine but much less this time. Still very audible but tolerable compared to the last one!

Im wondering if running stress tests will actually help with the noise over time and quieten it down? I know it can work on GPU's but does it do the same thing on PSU's?

I've never really had a psu that whines tbh, they've always been very good from the get go.

Just to clarify as well, the whine only happens the gpu is under load. I have tested this by running a cpu intensive stress test and there is no noise but if i run a gpu intensive benchmark then there is a very audible whine and electrical buzz coming from the psu.

Soldato
OP
is it defo the PSU?
as its modular do you have it all running off the same rail and just need to split the cables over the length of the PSU
It's defo the psu, the noise is clearly coming from something within the psu itself. The GPU sits to the left of the psu and behind the motherboard tray and there is no noise coming from that region whatsoever.

I have tried both, tried 2 single 8pin pcie connectors and tried the single 12vhpwr to 2x8pin pcie cable, both make the same noise.

Soldato
is the gpu new? most GPU coil whine come from the PSU.
dose it wine all the time or just when the gpu is under load
dose it whine more when at higher FPS

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
is the gpu new? most GPU coil whine come from the PSU.
dose it wine all the time or just when the gpu is under load
dose it whine more when at higher FPS
Nah the gpu is over 2 years old.

Only whines during gaming and sometimes benchmarking but only certain scenarios. Idle is silent.

Yes, or when its rendering a lot more stuff on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom