DARK (Netflix)

Soldato
Finished it. Verdict. Crap!
I know timetravel things can be convoluted, but I challenge anyone to work out what the hell was going on.
I'm guessing there is going to be more series since who the hell was Noah why the hell did he feel the need to try and build a time machine on top of a time machine. Why did Ulricht end up in 53 but everyone else in 86. Why in the world did Mikkle decide to hang himself.
It just didn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Finished it. Verdict. Great.

It gets bloody confusing, deeply intricate story and loose ends galore to maybe keep it flowing into another series.

Yes subtitles are not the easiest but it's really good, try to deal with it. Extremely well constructed episodes.

It's no comparison to stranger things. It's a better show not just a nostalgic ride for 40 year olds and kids that think the 80s are the latest trend again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished it. Verdict. Crap!
I know timetravel things can be convoluted, but I challenge anyone to work out what the hell was going on.
I'm guessing there is going to be more series since who the hell was Noah why the hell did he feel the need to try and build a time machine on top of a time machine. Why did Ulricht end up in 53 but everyone else in 86. Why in the world did Mikkle decide to hang himself.
It just didn't make much sense.

I thought it was very good, it is complicated but thats what makes it more interesting personally, I can't wait for a season 2.

As for the 53" and 86" part well Im not sure, but in the caves system time travel tunnel there is a directional split left goes to 53" and right goes to 86"

Soldato
Finished it. Verdict. Great.

It gets bloody confusing, deeply intricate story and loose ends galore to maybe keep it flowing into another series.

Yes subtitles are not the easiest but it's really good, try to deal with it. Extremely well constructed episodes.

It's no comparison to stranger things. It's a better show not just a nostalgic ride for 40 year olds and kids that think the 80s are the latest trend again.

I agree, brilliant. I love Stranger Things but I much prefer the story in Dark and how complicated it can get as it makes you think more. Maybe its an unfair comparison anyway as both shows are different really, its only because of the nuclear plant in the woods and some murky going on's that cause the similar comparisons, but the actual story is different in a way.

Permabanned
Started watching on Monday and going to settle down tonight to watch the last 3 episodes. Absolutely phenomenal television!

I think the comparisons to Stranger Things are a little off. Aside form the missing kids and the disconnected, small town aesthetic there's very little correlation between the two.

I think a more apt comparison is Twin Peaks. An emphasis on the more distasteful aspects of human relationships to help drive the tone. A central mystery that has hugely compelling and bizarre layers. A multi faceted set of characters that all play an important part in telling the story. The only real difference is the tone. Where early Twin Peaks has that fantastic juxtapose between the eccentric and the sinister, DARK is just... well, dark. I think that has ultimately put a few people off because they think it 'lacks compelling characters'. But not everything needs a hero, you know?

Also if you're thinking about watching it, just put English subs on. The dubbing is HORRENDOUS and does a massive disservice the great acting.

ALSO, those first 2 episodes genuinely gave me the fear. I was genuinely too scared to get up and grab a glass of water! It's the score + cinematography combination I think, both utterly compelling.

Last edited:
Soldato
Started watching on Monday and going to settle down tonight to watch the last 3 episodes. Absolutely phenomenal television!

I think the comparisons to Stranger Things are a little off. Aside form the missing kids and the disconnected, small town aesthetic there's very little correlation between the two.

I think a more apt comparison is Twin Peaks. An emphasis on the more distasteful aspects of human relationships to help drive the tone. A central mystery that has hugely compelling and bizarre layers. A multi faceted set of characters that all play an important part in telling the story. The only real difference is the tone. Where early Twin Peaks has that fantastic juxtapose between the eccentric and the sinister, DARK is just... well, dark. I think that has ultimately put a few people off because they think it 'lacks compelling characters'. But not everything needs a hero, you know?

Also if you're thinking about watching it, just put English subs on. The dubbing is HORRENDOUS and does a massive disservice the great acting.

ALSO, those first 2 episodes genuinely gave me the fear. I was genuinely too scared to get up and grab a glass of water! It's the score + cinematography combination I think, both utterly compelling.

I liked the way the show did not seem to concentrate heavily on one main character throughout the series, they all play big enough parts to help move it along as you say due to the relationships between the characters.

As for the dubbing, I agree. I wish Netflix would default to the correct audio language and subtitles when you first play a new series as some people will happily watch it with the dubbing and like you say its doing a disservice to the good acting and taking away the feel of where the show is set.

Associate
Wached the first one last night. It was okay but I wasn't blown away by it. It seems to be trying too hard to be strange, I don't know if that makes sense. Also as others have said the dubbing into English is really distracting.
I will perservere and see if I can get into it.

Permabanned
Wached the first one last night. It was okay but I wasn't blown away by it. It seems to be trying too hard to be strange, I don't know if that makes sense. Also as others have said the dubbing into English is really distracting.
I will perservere and see if I can get into it.

Yeah I get what you mean, even though I think it succeeds in being almost exactly what it wants to be.

It's just one of those things. I can't turn around to you and say "NO! It IS weird and scary!!!", that's not how these things work. It either effects you that way or it doesn't.

Associate
Watched the first three episodes last night. Loved it. Very well made and some of the cinematography is excellent! However, I'm getting distracted trying to figure out what's going on and where it's leading. Looking forward to getting another few watched tonight.

Soldato
I'm hooked on this, it's been awesome so far. I'm only about halfway through but it's been the best thing I've watched in a while, even though subs usually annoy me. The music is fantastic in it too.

Soldato
Must say, one of the best shows i have seen all year. Absolutely brilliant. It can get confusing at times so always needs full attention.

The music is one of the best parts of this show, really creates the atmosphere.

I actually watched this in dubbed english, you get used to it. I find with subtitles all my eyes are doing is looking at text and missing action / facial emotions etc.

He ended in the 53 zone because he went left at the fork in the tunnels when the others went right.

Associate
Started watching it with the Mrs but she couldn't get past the dubbing - will make some time to watch it myself though as it definitely looks interesting!

Back
Top Bottom