Dark Phoenix (2019)

Caporegime
No, not even close. They took a beloved comic book story, bent it over and had their way with it.

Jean got a bit emo and caused some trouble.

Soldato
it is very VERY normal.
Not really. But there's a lot of different types of test screenings. Mostly they refer to marketing screenings where a release territory uses an fairly-finished film to gauge audience reaction to certain storylines, characters etc. so that they can focus their marketing efforts on that. It's not normal for creatives to test screen an initial cut to joe public, with an aim of reshooting the movie to "fix" it.

Soldato
of course it's never "the aim", they want the film to test well and be awesome. but you're deluded if you don't think it's almost the norm, not the exception, that films are re-edited/reshot from minor to major degrees following the reactions to those screenings.

Soldato
of course it's never "the aim", they want the film to test well and be awesome. but you're deluded if you don't think it's almost the norm, not the exception, that films are re-edited/reshot from minor to major degrees following the reactions to those screenings.
Well first of all you were talking about reshoots, not editing. I'll throw out some guesstimate numbers from my knowledge but it probably costs a studio about $10-15k per week to run an editorial team. To run a production on location for example, with your talent/stars you're easily looking at $100k+ per day minimum. For a movie in full swing that can probably hit $1m/day. Where do you think a $200m budget goes? So there's quite a difference between re-shoots and "re-editing".

Editors can usually cut up until about 6-8 weeks before release depending on a lot of things. So yes, they're "re-editing" after a lot of test screenings. That is normal. But re-shooting after test screenings just isn't, sorry. It happens, obviously. But it's never the norm. Especially if we're talking about test screenings that only happen 1-2 months before release.

You can call me deluded, but the fact I work in the post production department for one of the 6 major studios probably says otherwise :o

NB: Most studio titles have "additional photography" budgeted from the start, and time locked down with their talent. This is not the same as "re shoots"...

Soldato
obviously i was referring to reshot [ie new/amended] scenes and re edits to accomodate changes from the preview feedback.
surprised you didn't understand that from "working for a major studio" lol.

Soldato
I understand what you're saying, I'm just pointing out I think you're wrong. Anyway... we digress massively. Back to topic...

Soldato
Meh.

Although it was done horribly in 'Last Stand' - Why go over it again when i'm sure there's many 100's of other storylines they could have put on film?

Also Apocalypse was naff, and based on her actual previous appearance (#Captainmarvel) I'm not sure about Sophie Turner as Jean Grey.

Because they (Hollywood big wigs) don't give a toss as long as money is made.

I didn't know this, but Dark Phoenix is directed by Simon Kinberg. I just assumed it would be Bryan Singer again. Anyway; Kinberg wrote The Last Stand.

So, the guy who did a **** job bringing Jean Grey's story to the screen in The Last Stand, gets another shot at it; but not just that, he's directing as well!

As for Turner; I think she has the acting range of a brick. I will be amazed if this is any improvement on Apocalypse.

Back
Top Bottom