Dark Souls 3

Soldato
I watched the youtube video and could not see a difference between max settings and low settings,the only difference i could see was the shadow quality,lol

Haha similar here, I saw a difference with shadows and reflections. That was it. Everything else was MINIMAL IMO.

Maybe I have poor eyesight, or maybe I just do not appreciate the difference enough.

Still though, regardless, 100% day one purchase for me.

edit: actually ill give the game some more time before I start commenting more generally. but for those who would like to avoid spoilers nows prob the time to start tuning out :D leakers + earlier Japanese release + promotional streaming copies ahead of time means that there's gonna be plenty of "coverage" coming up soon.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Starting to get really excited for this now. Though I'm a little dissapoitned that they've released so much of the game to reviewers/youtubers already.

Not that I'm worried about spoilers, just that there's nothing quite like those first 2-3 days of souls games where no one quite knows what to do.

Soldato
Should be seeing reviews soon i guess as it launches in japan on the 24th!

Wont read them but ill scan the scores to see if i can get a bit more excited on it! Massive series fan but not been too excited for this yet, maybe as ive steered clear of any media on it except a few trailers!

Permabanned
Just playing Darksouls with the DSfix mod, looks this gen and is a much better game than 2. I'm hoping 3 isn't going to be a flop, and doesn't change the formula too much.

It defintitely seems faster, probably inspred by Bloodborne. I just want more variety in enemy types then there was in 2. It wasn't a bad game by any means, just a little bland when compared to the first. Still the best level and enemy design I've ever seen in a game tbh.

Soldato
Same i love the connected feel of the world in the original, 2s areas were so disjointed that it just felt too varied imo, no area flowed nicely to the next

Soldato
As a fan of tough games, I'm pondering picking up the original Dark Souls game - can I pick some experienced brains on it?

Is it as tough as its reputation?
Do I have to grind?
Is there much of an RPG element to it?
Is it a fairly linear game, or more open world?
Can I get good utility from it if I play, say, 1-hour sessions and top out at around 15-20 hours?

For what it's worth, the answers I'm hoping for (but a bit more fleshed out if poss) will be yes, no, no, linear, yes :D

Soldato
Exactly, same as Demon Souls, which I wish we got a port of :( Bloodbourne is an improvement over Dark Souls 2 though, that flowed, so they might be on our wavelength.

I believe the bloke that made demons, dark souls 1 and bloodborne has been involved in ds3, he skipped ds2 to work on bloodborne so maybe he is the key!

Soldato
The funny thing is I don't play these titles, but I do like to watch others play them on youtube / twitch, & also discuss various aspects about them. So...I am looking forward to the next in the series. :D :)

I'm exactly the same :D. I would get way too frustrated with games like this, but its fun to watch other people get frustrated instead lol.

Permabanned
As a fan of tough games, I'm pondering picking up the original Dark Souls game - can I pick some experienced brains on it?

Do I have to grind?
Can I get good utility from it if I play, say, 1-hour sessions and top out at around 15-20 hours?

For what it's worth, the answers I'm hoping for (but a bit more fleshed out if poss) will be yes, no, no, linear, yes :D

1. Sort of yes. I'm going to be that guy now and say that it's only as tough as you think it is. It's very much trial by fire, but it's fair in as much as that it's down to you to master it's control scheme and the enemies attack patterns etc. Putting it plainly though, it is very hard. Anyone who says it's a cake walk is trying to play the man.

2. You don't HAVE to grind, no. It's all about player skill, not how much damage you can do. Oh sure, it helps if you've got more stamina and health, but it's not the be all and end all. It;s totally possible to finish the game without leveling at all.

3. There's a reasonably strong RPG element to it. You can choose to be anything from a glass cannon to a pyromancer. The leveling system is quite cryptic and will probably require a quick glance at a walkthrough to get to grips with, but it makes sense. Outside of that it's just a case of go where you want (in the first game at least). There's no real choice and concequence system and whilst it does have a great story, it's very cryptic and easy to miss first time.

4. The first is more open world in the snse that there's a central hub with what is basically the entirety of the world map surroudning it. Though it does strong arm you into taking certain paths before others and there is a sequence of events that you;re required to complete before you can get to the late game stuff. It's as 'open world' as any other game in that sense I suppose.

5. Not quite sure what you mean there. I mean no offence here, but as your new to the series I'll be very suprised if you get even half way in that amount of time. It took my 30 hours and 4 attempts spanning a year and a half for it to finally click.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Yes, and no, it's more indepth rather than difficult. You'll ace through for a while, then suddenly lose concentration for a second and then you die. So it's involved, tough and suspenseful. Hopefully that's answered the question. It's no Skyrim and it's not the impossible game. It's what a game should be, challenging and not a breeze.

Do I have to grind?
Again, yes and no. You don't need to, but you can! So I sometimes farm a 10k souls at the start of the game with the bridge+dragon. I use these to buy a seal to enter a garden early game. You don't need to. My latest playthrough, I've done NO farming and I'm very unlikely going to as I don't need anything requiring high souls right off the bat.

Yes, very much so. When you first get stuck in, you'll find your fave weapon and armour, thinking "Yea, not much point trying anything else"... Oh how wrong, I did the same, then I went from a dex build to sorcery build. HUGE difference in playing the game. So in terms of RPG character building. Yes. Story... Yes, but not a lot, it's all down to imagination. You literally have no quests/main story to follow sort of. You just do things to push on. Hard to explain. For your first playthrough, I STRONGLY suggest you follow a guide on what to kill in what order. There are a LOT of bosses. Get killing :D

Not in the slightest, you can pretty much skip 50% of the game, you can jump around to different parts if you know the shortcuts. It's not like Kingdoms of Amalur. It's open, but in levels. No huge open grass fields.

Took me months to finish it first time round. I still play it in an hour or 2 here and there.

EDIT: One thing to note which I think matters a lot. Is the community. When I'm a PVE player, not PVP. But, if I'm invaded, I'll do my best to fight back. Even win sometimes. It's part of the game. Invaders more often than not will bow to start the fight, as do you. You'll bow at the end of the fight or other silly animations.

But it's by no point toxic. Forums are damn helpful and full of people who love the game. Warning, don't alt+f4 when invaded, it's a cheap way out. Dieing in this game is something you have to get used to. Do not be a coward.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks chaps, some good info.

I think I'll grab it when I see it on offer. I reckon it sounds like something I can get at least my money's worth from.

I'm cool with dying a lot - my gaming nirvana is teak-tough platformers where I'm dying and repeating until mastered :)

Soldato
Thanks chaps, some good info.

I think I'll grab it when I see it on offer. I reckon it sounds like something I can get at least my money's worth from.

I'm cool with dying a lot - my gaming nirvana is teak-tough platformers where I'm dying and repeating until mastered :)

2 bosses I HATED when I was 'new' to the game was Capra Demon and O+S.

My god, screw those dogs with Capra... You'll see :D

Back
Top Bottom