das boot

Caporegime
Fairly good?! I'll let you off until you've watched it all. Then you have to say how utterly brilliant it is. Or else. ;)

Hehe, I've been watching the dubbed version which as dubbing goes I don't think is that bad. Will post back when I've gotten round to seeing it all. :)

Man of Honour
Technically they're all dubbed versions as the noise inside the replica sub meant that sound recording was impossible. But unusually the English version was dubbed by the original actors, so it will be much better than such things tend to be.

M

Associate
Don't make the mistake of buying the dubbed version either. its terrible. you have to get the full thing and make sure its in German with subtitles.

Jawohl, Herr Kaleun!

Even without having watched the dubbed version I could almost guarantee it's not as good as the original.

Soldato
Interesting! Unfortunately the original was so good I can't see how this can approach it.

The directors cut had the feel of boredom interrupted by sudden panic. I don’t see how sky will make that a long term short-attention span hit, perhaps at the last 5 minutes of each episode they will shout ALARM! Leaving a cliffhanger for the next episode.

Truly one of the original masterpieces.

Soldato
Both the movie version and the series version of Das Boot are stunning pieces of storytelling, can anyone imagine someone can do a re-make that's better? Some re-makes benefit from a spin on the premise or improved sets or special effects. I fail to see how any of that could be applied for Das Boot.

Associate
Agree, a remake is not needed. Das Boot remains one of the best war films/series.

Robert Harris' Enigma film is okay, however the book portrays the period and menace of the U-Boats much better.

P.S. Another made for TV war film which is worth seeking out - Riphagen is a good watch.

Soldato
I rewatched das boot the shorter version recently still is epic. I watched the original TV show on BBC when it first came out. Brilliant. I have the longer director cut to watch on DVD somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom